Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-26-2018, 10:27 AM   #16
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
The owner of MobileRead is young enough that we don't have to worry about him dying. He is also too much of a flake to be able to follow through on selling the forum to a company (he has had offers, actually).

Seriously, I could tell you lots about the things he flaked out on and other juicy secrets, but they would delete my post.

So send me a PM if you want to hear the good stuff.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 12:23 PM   #17
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
The owner of MobileRead is young enough that we don't have to worry about him dying.
Well thanks, I guess.

Quote:
He is also too much of a flake to be able to follow through on selling the forum to a company (he has had offers, actually).
Ahh yes, that must be me. Let's stroll down memory lane. Verticalscope you say?

Quote:
Subject Serious Purchase Information for Mobileread.com
From David Fischer <xxxxx@verticalscope.com>
To <at206@columbia.edu>
Date 2011-06-29 21:05

Hi,

My name is David Fischer and I work with a small 10 year old Internet media company called VerticalScope. We are a Toronto based Canadian company with a new focus on the technology forums marketplace. I am trying to reach the owner of Mobileread.com, would that be you?

I think you have done a great job of building your community and I would like to discuss the possibility of a cash purchase.

Please treat this as a serious inquiry from a credible buyer. We are experienced in purchasing online communities and we know how important the site is to you. We are very flexible on any special terms and conditions you would like to include as part of a deal. We also understand the amount of time and energy you have put into the site over the last several years. If you're interested in selling for a great return on your investment, or if you just want to explore what might be involved, I am certainly interested in speaking with you. Check out some of our great communities like: 8thCivic.com, Gixxer.com, and MMAForum.com. We are happy to go as fast or slow as you want through the process, but you should know that we are in a position to make a cash offer and close within a few days.

I would appreciate an email in the next day or two to let me know if you would like to pursue this opportunity. If there is someone else I should be contacting, please forward this message to them, or kindly send me their email address or phone number so I can get in touch. Thanks in advance for your consideration.

David
Quote:
Subject Re: Serious Purchase Information for Mobileread.com
From Alexander Turcic <at206@columbia.edu>
To David Fischer <xxxxx@verticalscope.com>
Date 2011-07-02 13:11
Hello David,

Apologies for the late reply. At this point we have no interest in selling Mobileread.

Thank you for your interest.

Sincerely,
Alex
Quote:
Subject Re: Serious Purchase Information for Mobileread.com
From David Fischer <xxxxx@verticalscope.com>
To Alexander Turcic <at206@columbia.edu>
Date 2011-08-25 21:16

Hi Alex,

As per my last email, are you interested in at least hearing out a cash offer? It would only take a bit of basic traffic and revenue information from you in order for me to calculate our offer. You should know that we generally pay out above market value for sites we are interested in, and it can't hurt to at least hear our offer right? Let me know either way. If you are not interested I will back off and you can get in touch with me should anything change on your end. Thanks for your time and I look forward to your response.

Kind Regards,

David
Flaky as I am, I didn't bother to respond a second time. As you said, Nate, there have been more serious offers by a couple of other companies; none of which that could have convinced me that selling MobileRead was a good thing.

Quote:
Seriously, I could tell you lots about the things he flaked out on and other juicy secrets, but they would delete my post.

Since when did you turn to gossip, Nate? Bored of reading books? Glad to see you find such a great interest in my person even when I don't remember the last time we talked to each other.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2018, 01:06 PM   #18
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
The owner of MobileRead is young enough that we don't have to worry about him dying. He is also too much of a flake to be able to follow through on selling the forum to a company (he has had offers, actually).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
Well thanks, I guess.

Ahh yes, that must be me. Let's stroll down memory lane. Verticalscope you say?

Flaky as I am, I didn't bother to respond a second time. As you said, Nate, there have been more serious offers by a couple of other companies; none of which that could have convinced me that selling MobileRead was a good thing.

Since when did you turn to gossip, Nate? Bored of reading books? Glad to see you find such a great interest in my person even when I don't remember the last time we talked to each other.

Thank you for creating a great community.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 03:28 PM   #19
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
I appreciate all you've done and continue to do for the forum even if Nate the Late doesn't.
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 09:35 PM   #20
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard
Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Simple
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post

Thank you for creating a great community.
Apache
I'm with you Apache.

I would greatly miss the forum in its present form if it disappeared or became a platform for adverts.
Thasaidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2018, 11:39 PM   #21
Gardenman
Wizard
Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350,Nook HD+, Kindle 2nd gen, kindle keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thasaidon View Post
I'm with you Apache.

I would greatly miss the forum in its present form if it disappeared or became a platform for adverts.

I would miss it very much too.
Gardenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 12:45 AM   #22
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Note that Mobileread does have a fair bit of advertising... for guests.

We registered members tend to forget about it though, as we never see them.
sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 01:41 AM   #23
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Alex. Great post. Very nice to know. I for one wouldn't blame you for making a dollar if you did get a great cash offer. I would, however, be sad to see Mobileread sold, especially to a company like VerticalScope. I will echo Apache and Thesaidon in thanking you for creating and running a great community.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 09:17 AM   #24
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
If I write a book here in the U.S. I become the author on record with rights. If a publisher in France wants to publish a translation he has to purchase the rights to do so. I still retain my rights to my work though. Doesn't something similar apply with posts on message boards? Assuming that there is something on the board in question worth the publishing I mean.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 09:50 AM   #25
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
If I write a book here in the U.S. I become the author on record with rights. If a publisher in France wants to publish a translation he has to purchase the rights to do so.
Not if you've agreed to waive those rights before you began writing it. Do people become the authors on record (with full rights) of the books they write as the entities formerly known as Robert B. Parker or V.C. Andrews?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 09:57 AM   #26
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
If I write a book here in the U.S. I become the author on record with rights.
Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster would beg to disagree.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote