Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 09-24-2008, 09:33 AM   #1
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Digital Reader FAQ from iRex

There are some really interesting answers to find:
Quote:
Q: What is the boot time?
A: Currently a cold boot time takes about 50 seconds, and with the advanced power management, waking up from stand-by mode will take approx 1 second, and from the hibernate mode approx 15 seconds.
http://forum.irexnet.com/viewtopic.php?p=13419#13419
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 09:52 AM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Q: Will all users have the ability to run 3rd party software out of the box or is there a need to install a developer package like with the iLiad?
A: Custom application can be build using the SDK, the executable can be stored on the SD-card and started using a link in the Home location. The SDK will be available in the first week of October.
This could be good, or very bad. Most attempts to require a limited SDK for 1st-class access to a Linux device have been dismal failures (Pepper Pad and Sugar on OLPC for example). It is good if all that is required is a thin wrapper around an existing application, but bad if a stand-alone X11 app (e.g. mrxvt) can't be run on the device.

The development environment sounds good though:
Quote:
Q: What tools will be provided to developers for modifying the device?
A: ARMv6 emulation system on the PC based on Qemu with EPD emulation, Anjuta IDE with cross-compile support and deployment to emulator / hardware.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2008, 10:28 AM   #3
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
That's a very useful and complete FAQ. I honestly have no more questions or clarifications.

Although, I'm quite convinced now that I need to wait for the SW version.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 10:38 AM   #4
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
This is definitely sounding positive, but I wonder how long it will take for the next software release to enable suspend and hibernate.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 10:45 AM   #5
Gogolo
Addict
Gogolo has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DR1000S, Nook ST (rooted), Kobo Aura one (ksm)
Arrrg. Need it want it... Only have to convince my wife... look how this will change our life .... think of all the suffering trees...

I think the more and more iRex did it very well. They have a hard- and software plattform now which allow a lot of progress.

Congrats iRex

Gogolo
Gogolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2008, 10:52 AM   #6
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Actually i noticed one thing playing around today: there is a taskmanager. So its easy to go from one open document to another.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:00 AM   #7
Gogolo
Addict

Quote:
Actually i noticed one thing playing around today: there is a taskmanager. So its easy to go from one open document to another.
Oh yes! This one is also so long awaited!

Thanks for sharing Tribble.

Do you like it????

Gogolo
Old 09-24-2008, 11:35 AM   #8
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribble View Post
OK, time to come clean with some additional details, reviews, video etc. I've got mine on order so hopefully it will arrive some time next week.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 07:35 AM   #9
Gogolo
Addict

Tribble?

I know I should not push... have you no time for your computer because the 1000 absorbs you fully, because it is so nice reading all the big documents?

I barely cant wait for a little review from you.

Gogolo
Old 09-26-2008, 07:58 AM   #10
tribble
iLiad Maniac

Hehe, had a little time to play around and will get around to do the videoreview later today. I really like what i see so far, but i do not have the latest firmware on my device and dont have the companion software yet. but i will show of the other nice things.

So be patient, there are so many people calling at the momet and i am on the phone most of the time
Old 09-26-2008, 08:18 AM   #11
Gogolo
Addict

Ok, take your time. Good to know you think of us
Gogolo
Old 09-27-2008, 10:33 AM   #12
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribble View Post
Hey Tripple - if you have one device please make a video and publish it ...
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 05:20 PM   #13
ppxnouse
Connoisseur
ppxnouse began at the beginning.

Device: Gen3
Quote:
will get around to do the videoreview later today.
Hi Tribble, is the device that bad so you do not want to post the review to not bring down preorder numbers ?! Or did iRex prohibit further reviews ?

If none of these - Please let us know some more details
ppxnouse is offline   Reply With Quote