Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-14-2007, 12:43 PM   #46
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
There is a fifth one in the Time Scout series called ' License Invoked'
I didn't think that was part of the same series ... I thought it dealt with magic and dimensional rifts, rather than time travel ....

I guess I need to have another look at it.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 01:55 PM   #47
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
I really enjoyed the collaborative efforts of Robert Asprin and Linda Evans in the Time Travel sub-genre. The four book Time Scout series is quite good (if you don't mind a few logistical holes that are kinda glossed over -- I didn't notice most of them until I was re-reading the books).
Nate, I tried those & just couldn't get into them. But then I hate Ray Bradbury's work too & others love it. Just one man's opinion. BTW I like the time travel idea in stories. Andre Norton wrote some of the best IMHO.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2007, 03:52 PM   #48
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

To each his own, Slayda. Personally I'm glad I'm not expected to like what everyone else likes.

You might find For King and Country more to your taste (but you also might not), it's a much more serious story than the Time Scout ones. Baen has a couple of free chapters up on the Webscriptions site, so you can sample it for free, if you care to.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:10 PM   #49
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
I really enjoyed the collaborative efforts of Robert Asprin and Linda Evans in the Time Travel sub-genre. The four book Time Scout series is quite good (if you don't mind a few logistical holes that are kinda glossed over -- I didn't notice most of them until I was re-reading the books).

The titles are Time Scout, Wagers of Sin, Ripping Time, and The House That Jack Built. The last two are available as e-books from Baen. I've asked if they plan to release the first two as e-books as well, and the reply was to the effect of: "maybe eventually." The last two also deal with Jack the Ripper, so if you're interested in that topic .... It's fiction of course, but it's still quite an interesting fictional take on that mystery.

Another, totally separate time travel novel by those same two authors (also e-available from Baen) is a book called For King and Country. A very good read, that one.

Also possibly of interest is the Dragon Knight series by Phillip K. Dick. The first one is The Dragon And The George, I'll let you consult Amazon for the rest of the titles. I don't believe those are e-available, though (I'd like to find out I'm wrong!)

And of course, Michael Creighton's Timeline and Sphere are good reads (much better than the movies), and they both pre-date his politicized period. I don't know if those are e-vailable or not.
I believe The Dragon and the George is by Gordon Dickson rather than Philip K. Dick.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 09:17 PM   #50
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
To each his own, Slayda. Personally I'm glad I'm not expected to like what everyone else likes.

You might find For King and Country more to your taste (but you also might not), it's a much more serious story than the Time Scout ones. Baen has a couple of free chapters up on the Webscriptions site, so you can sample it for free, if you care to.
Thanks, Nate. I'll take a look. I had read some of Linda Evans that I liked. That's why I tried their Time Scout series.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2007, 08:18 AM   #51
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
I believe The Dragon and the George is by Gordon Dickson rather than Philip K. Dick.
And I believe you are absolutely correct, BenG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
Thanks, Nate. I'll take a look. I had read some of Linda Evans that I liked. That's why I tried their Time Scout series.
You're welcome, Slayda.
Old 09-12-2007, 02:44 AM   #52
mogui
eNigma
mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.

Device: HTC G1 Android FBReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
Connie Willis' To Say Nothing of the Dog is a great time travel story, and funny as heck too. The title comes from Jerome K. Jerome's Three Men in a Boat (To Say Nothing of the Dog)
I really enjoyed that one too. Another one of hers that I read a long time ago is "The Doomsday Book" which takes place mostly in the time of the great plague. Willis writes entertaining fiction that can be enjoyed by many. My daughter read "Doomsday" in the third grade. Willis is humorous and can handle devilishly complicated plot ideas quite well. She also does not fill her books with British idioms like some UK writers; a great relief to US readers.
mogui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 12:56 PM   #53
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogui View Post
Willis is humorous and can handle devilishly complicated plot ideas quite well. She also does not fill her books with British idioms like some UK writers; a great relief to US readers.
Since Willis is not British, this should come as no surprise.

(I've met her. She's a very fine lady.)
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 01:37 PM   #54
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
H. Beam Piper's Paratime stories might be of interest to you. Try Lord Kalvan of Otherwhen. They are not, strictly speaking, time travel stories, as they involve travel to alternate histories,
They are indeed time travel, but sideways, rather than forward or back.
______
Dennis
Old 09-12-2007, 08:58 PM   #55
mogui
eNigma
mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.

Device: HTC G1 Android FBReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
Since Willis is not British, this should come as no surprise.
Dennis
I am surprised. Both of her novels I read were set in England. That makes her work seem even more amazing! Her research goes into great depth.
Quote:
Connie Willis has won six Nebula and Six Hugo Awards(more than any other science fiction writer) and the JohnW. Campbell Memorial Award for her first novel,Lincoln's Dreams. Her novel Doomsday Book won both the Nebula and Hugo Awards, and her first short-story collection, Fire Watch, was a New York Times Notable Book.
From this site. See also this site.

Last edited by mogui; 09-12-2007 at 09:34 PM.
mogui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 09:16 PM   #56
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogui View Post
I am surprised. Both of her novels I read were set in England. That makes her work seem even more amazing! Her research goes into great depth.
She's American. She lives in Colorado with her husband Courtney, who is a physics professor at UNC. (She tells a funny story about Tolkien being responsible for her marriage. Many years ago as a college student, she took a flight to tell the guy she was dating she was breaking up with him. She took "The Lord of the Rings" to read while traveling. By the time her plane landed and her boyfriend picked her up, she'd forgotten completely about her reason for going, and all she could say was "Oh, Frodo and Sam are in deep trouble, and I don't trust that Gollum at all..." 40 years later, they're still together. )

See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connie_Willis
http://www.sftv.org/cw/
http://www.geocities.com/Wellesley/5...is/willis.html
______
Dennis
Old 09-13-2007, 06:39 AM   #57
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
Although 1632 is not a conventional time travel, it kinda is. A section of modern day USA gets kicked back to 1632 Germany. There are several ebooks in this series at www.baen.com by Eric Flint.

You might also want to check out "Time Traders" + it's sequel at Baen. "Time Traders" is in their Free Library section.
Could you list all books in the series please?
Thanks.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 09:47 AM   #58
Kilarney
Connoisseur
Kilarney doesn't litterKilarney doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Does anyone know if 1632 is available formatted for the Sony Reader? It'll save me from having to tinker with the RTF file.
Kilarney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 09:54 AM   #59
Kilarney
Connoisseur
Kilarney doesn't litterKilarney doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
If you are a budding historian, "Time and Again" by Jack Finney is hard to beat.

http://www.amazon.com/Time-Again-Jac.../dp/0684801051
Kilarney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 10:16 AM   #60
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra_lestat View Post
Could you list all books in the series please?
Thanks.
1632, 1633, 1634: The Baltic War, 1634: The Galileo Affair, 1634: The Ram Rebellion, 1635: The Cannon Law. There are also several volumes of "The Grantville Gazette", fan written stories in the 1632 universe.

The entire series is available either through the Baen Free Library, either from the website, or on one or another of the CDs bound into various Baen hardcovers.

The concept is that the West Virginia mining town of Grantville is caught in a cosmic accident and dropped into Germany during the 30 Year's War.

The Free Library is here: http://www.baen.com/library/

ISO images and Zipped collections of the various CDs issued thus far are here: http://baencd.thefifthimperium.com/

Edmond Hamilton used a similar device in _City at the End of Forever_, in which an American town is catapulted into the future by a hit from a nuclear bomb. You can get it here:
http://manybooks.net/titles/hamilton...worldsend.html
______
Dennis