Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-30-2010, 06:20 AM   #61
rhari79
Addict
rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: .*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine989 View Post
I just got the update for my Kindle Dx Global. I do not know if they are transferable but if someone wants it I would gladly sent them a link in private.
Good offer..
I happen to have a Kindle DX-US in Japan...
Any chance I can try to get an update? means..via usbnet or something like that?
Or if a good Samaritan can share like the Nine989, would be lot of help...

(Hope amazon doesnt mind 'cos we are just trying to help reduce load on its servers with some friendly p2p.. )

Thanks in advance..
rhari79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 09:40 AM   #62
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Back when Amazon first mentioned folders/collections would be in an eventual update I believe they mentioned the K1 getting it too so maybe it's coming. Makes sense the current models would get such an update first.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 09:44 AM   #63
Bob Butler
Connoisseur
Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kindle, iPhone
Every time I see the Kindle screen on my K1 thanking me for being an early adopter, it makes me a little angry. Empty words.

I love my K1, but I hate that Amazon abandoned developing new features for it immediately upon the release of the K2.

When I eventually replace my K1, I will very likely look elsewhere.
Bob Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 10:50 AM   #64
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
The PDF pan and zoom is a nice-to-have in a pinch to make SOME use of pdf ... but a Kindle 2 really is suited for that format. But, hey, zoom and pan is a plus.
I think the K2 is suited for the average pdf format only if you have eyes younger than 60 years, which I don't. I welcome the pan and zoom function.

Quote:
I don't mind a password protect so long as I can turn it off and keep it off. I'm not concerned about the husband, or the cats, running amok with my Kindle when I'm not around.
I can see how it would be important for people who must leave their readers around curious people who are likely to play when the cat's away and perhaps lose the owner's place in their books or even worse accidentally delete content, but at the moment, I have no need for that either. Still, it's nice to have that option.

Quote:
But the last two: Facebook/Twitter and "see what the Kindle community thinks of interesting passages" ... sounds a lot like that blogger in another thread who had Big Ideas on How To Fix E-Readers. And will any of this apply to non-US Kindles outside of the US? On a clear day, from the top of a tower, I can see Buffalo ....
I don't Twit, and I rarely sign into my Facebook account, but it could be interesting to see which passages of books I'm reading catch the attention of other Kindle readers. I will try that feature at least once, and after that, who knows? I may like it!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 12:07 PM   #65
arvsinha
Intrepid Explorer
arvsinha began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Butler View Post
Every time I see the Kindle screen on my K1 thanking me for being an early adopter, it makes me a little angry. Empty words.

I love my K1, but I hate that Amazon abandoned developing new features for it immediately upon the release of the K2.

When I eventually replace my K1, I will very likely look elsewhere.
I am dreading the time when Kindle 3 comes out. We kindle 2 owners will be left out in the cold - No new updates
arvsinha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 12:14 PM   #66
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arvsinha View Post
I am dreading the time when Kindle 3 comes out. We kindle 2 owners will be left out in the cold - No new updates
That sucks big time. Microsoft still supports Windows XP, and I'm still getting updates to Vista, so what gives with Amazon? That's not exactly a selling point!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 12:52 PM   #67
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: K1, GKDX, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
That sucks big time. Microsoft still supports Windows XP, and I'm still getting updates to Vista, so what gives with Amazon? That's not exactly a selling point!

There's a difference between support and enhancement.

If you have a problem with your k1, they'll help you through it. Amazon hasn't removed any of the k1 help pages of information.

But adding new features, such as the collections/pdf/password protection isn't really support, it's an upgrade, an enhancement.

Also, the k1 works differently than the k2- even just the way the menus and options are laid out differently due to the scroll-bar navigation as opposed to the k2's joystick. You couldn't just throw the code from the k2 onto the k1 and expect it to work.

I think it's a shame, and I'd hope that they'd at least try to offer k1 owners something in the way of better organization... or at least explain why it cannot be done.
Anarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 03:19 PM   #68
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
There are rumblings that K1 will get Collections. Hang in there, but by all means let Amazon know you expect them. Amazon doesn't tend to announce their plans, so don't expect them to share them with you. In the meantime, only a few people have the new update, so the rest of us are waiting too, albeit with more confidence in the eventual result. In the interest of transparency though I hope they at least announce any K1 feature updates before K3 ships.

K2 has only been out about 15 months, yet this is the second major update that adds features. And it is free. If this was a desktop system, or a business application, all you would be getting over that time would be bug fixes, or paid updates.

I'm still of the opinion that Amazon doesn't make that much on Kindles (a one time profit that may easily evaporate if the hardware proves defective and needs to be replaced), or at the least that their business plan is to make a steady income selling ebooks (hence the family of free Kindle apps). I'm guessing they even lost money selling K1's for $399, as they shipped many fewer of these than K2s at a the current $259. Offering free new features is a good way to retain customer loyalty, and keep the ebook sales flowing, and buys them time to recoup production costs while developing new hardware. At the same time, software developers are expensive and any development they do has to have some business justification. One can argue for moral justification, but as with any publicly held company, such things always come down to dollars.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 07:28 PM   #69
Snapply
Connoisseur
Snapply began at the beginning.

Device: Amazozn Kindlezz
omg someone upload the .bin file or i'll blow my head off
Snapply is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 08:03 PM   #70
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Snapply, the DX file bin is on the previous page
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 08:25 PM   #71
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: K1, GKDX, K3
Now if someone could find the .bin for the US K2 or KDX, before I jump off something x_X;;;
Anarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 09:30 PM   #72
Snapply
Connoisseur
Snapply began at the beginning.

Device: Amazozn Kindlezz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushka View Post
I meant for the K2.
Snapply is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 09:51 PM   #73
elmoglick
Groupie
elmoglick doesn't litterelmoglick doesn't litterelmoglick doesn't litter

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX, Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushka View Post
That's just for the International version, unfortunately. Perhaps someone will snag the US DX version for us.
elmoglick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 11:02 PM   #74
sfuller
sfuller began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Supposedly for 2i

http://www.hi-pda.com/forum/viewthre...extra=page%3D1
sfuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 11:08 PM   #75
sfuller
sfuller began at the beginning.

Device: kindle