Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-25-2023, 08:54 PM   #16
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
At least you seem to have a borrowing option in Sweden.
So true! I am am very happy with the way we can borrow eBooks! Even if I can't find everything I want in the libraries I have access to I can find enough to not have to buy much at all.
It makes me sad that you don't have the same (or similar) option!
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 04:39 AM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanYourNibs View Post
This feels like a very specific detail that doesn't seem (to me) 100% relevant; what's the benefit of ePub 3 in this context? Or is it just that the best DRM-free ebook format should be used in its most current, updated form?
If eBooks are all going to be without DRM, then we need a way to read them without the need to convert formats. But before we do adopt ePub 3, I do think we'd need to tweak it to get rid of all the crap that Apple managed to get put in and made ePub 3 as easy to code as ePub 2.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 12:16 PM   #18
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I have no Kobo desktop software, but a magic plugin that reads acsm files. I have to remember to rename at download as every DRMed Kobo download has the same name.
Why? When the magic plugin does its magic, it will pull up the correct book regardless of what you named the downloaded acsm file.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 12:30 PM   #19
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Why? When the magic plugin does its magic, it will pull up the correct book regardless of what you named the downloaded acsm file.
When you purchase and download more than one book at a time without leaving the web site. Same issue would apply even if on Windows and using ADE.

So indeed I don't care what exactly I rename them. At least they could add an incrementing number?
I do like that unlike Amazon, Kobo has a shopping basket/trolly thing instead of the stupidly designed named "one click" for ebooks. I have "one click" turned off, but you can't turn it off for ebooks, yet sometimes Amazon offers bundles on "one click".

Last edited by Quoth; 03-27-2023 at 12:32 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 12:41 PM   #20
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
When you purchase and download more than one book at a time without leaving the web site. Same issue would apply even if on Windows and using ADE.
Again, your experience and mine are different.

I too use the magic plug in, not ADE. I purchase and download my requisite three books a day, download the files which are named URLLink.acsm, URLLink(1).acsm and URLLink(2).acsm. I drag and drop those acsm files into Calibre and boom! Three different ePubs automagically appear in Calibre. No download rename or anything.

Test it with three already purchased books and see if I am incorrect.
Old 03-27-2023, 01:13 PM   #21
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Again, your experience and mine are different.

I too use the magic plug in, not ADE. I purchase and download my requisite three books a day, download the files which are named URLLink.acsm, URLLink(1).acsm and URLLink(2).acsm. I drag and drop those acsm files into Calibre and boom! Three different ePubs automagically appear in Calibre. No download rename or anything.

Test it with three already purchased books and see if I am incorrect.
I suspect your OS or browser is autonumbering, I can either manually rename or overwrite. Which is expected behaviour when the site offers the same name each time. Unless I add a suffix the file overwrites.
Old 03-27-2023, 01:30 PM   #22
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
I suspect your OS or browser is autonumbering, I can either manually rename or overwrite. Which is expected behaviour when the site offers the same name each time. Unless I add a suffix the file overwrites.
Sounds like you need a better browser or OS.
Old 03-27-2023, 01:39 PM   #23
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

I'm happy with both.
Old 03-27-2023, 02:18 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Downloading eBooks is easy to me.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 03:16 PM   #25
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
My browser appends numbers to avoid overwrite. I rename anyway. Just because.
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 04:13 PM   #26
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:

So indeed I don't care what exactly I rename them. At least they could add an incrementing number?
Oddly, that's exactly what Firefox does for me. urllink.acsm, urllink(1).acsm, urllink(2).acsm, etc. What web browser are you using that does not do so? So far a quick test with FireFox, Edge, Chrome and Safari all show the same behaviour.

Last edited by DNSB; 03-27-2023 at 04:19 PM.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 04:18 PM   #27
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
It sounds like a Linux thing. Windows will offer to rename a file to file(1) if there is a naming conflict, but Linux won't necessarily offer to do that, depending on your distro and desktop environment.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 05:43 PM   #28
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
It sounds like a Linux thing. Windows will offer to rename a file to file(1) if there is a naming conflict, but Linux won't necessarily offer to do that, depending on your distro and desktop environment.
It's no big deal and I don't like the silent renaming, sometimes I want to overwrite. It's no bother to rename.
The Archive manager will autoincrement a suffix if the unzipped target exists. Drag & Drop copy to same place (usually a mistake and "undo" is good!) in Caja File Manager will autoincrement a suffix. I actually prefer that the Wbe brower doesn't. The point is that Kobo is the ONLY site I download from that gives every different download the same name.
Old 03-27-2023, 06:26 PM   #29
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
It's no big deal and I don't like the silent renaming, sometimes I want to overwrite. It's no bother to rename.
The Archive manager will autoincrement a suffix if the unzipped target exists. Drag & Drop copy to same place (usually a mistake and "undo" is good!) in Caja File Manager will autoincrement a suffix. I actually prefer that the Wbe brower doesn't. The point is that Kobo is the ONLY site I download from that gives every different download the same name.
My local library does the same thing.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 06:41 PM   #30
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
The point is that Kobo is the ONLY site I download from that gives every different download the same name.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
My local library does the same thing.
ebooks.com does as well.

In addition, from time to time, downloading from amazon gives a file named something like download (maybe with an extension).
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote