Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-24-2021, 01:12 PM   #16
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
Ok finally received my new PW I love the screen size, and how it looks. It seems to be much faster responding to commands. Downloads were very fast. I also got the blue cloth cover and I love it it matches the cover on my Fire HD 10. It does seem to be somewhat choosy about the charger I use. I haven't received the Kindle charger yet. Page turns a much faster, I love the little extra reading area of the screen. I am not sure about the page warmth, I don't have the screen lights high enough to tell if the warmth really works.

I didn’t have the intentions to use a Kindle e-ink again after being so disappointed in the previous PaperWhite, it was so slow, to respond to downloads, and book openings and page turns. But I am very glad I did get this new PW.

Last edited by cvkemp; 12-24-2021 at 03:16 PM.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 12:49 PM   #17
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvkemp View Post
Ok finally received my new PW I love the screen size, and how it looks. It seems to be much faster responding to commands. Downloads were very fast. I also got the blue cloth cover and I love it it matches the cover on my Fire HD 10. It does seem to be somewhat choosy about the charger I use. I haven't received the Kindle charger yet. Page turns a much faster, I love the little extra reading area of the screen. I am not sure about the page warmth, I don't have the screen lights high enough to tell if the warmth really works.

I didn’t have the intentions to use a Kindle e-ink again after being so disappointed in the previous PaperWhite, it was so slow, to respond to downloads, and book openings and page turns. But I am very glad I did get this new PW.
The performance boost and larger screen size have made this the most impressive Kindle update for me in years. The display clarity is also discernibly better than my PW4. I haven’t had any particular issue with the wireless charging: the charging LED comes on when it’s aligned properly and turns green when it’s at full charge. By contrast my Fire HD8 Plus only gives an initial sound and animation to indicate that it’s aligned but sometimes I discover later that it slipped out of position and hasn’t charged: there’s no charging LED on it and it covers the one on the charging pad itself.

I still haven’t found any use for the warm light. I prefer Dark mode when reading in dark rooms. I wish Dark mode had an an independent setting for Warmth because any warmth at all in Dark mode is unhelpful and has to be turned off if you were using it in non Dark mode.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2021, 11:04 PM   #18
TimeEffect
Connoisseur
TimeEffect began at the beginning.

Device: Glo
I purchased this on a whim due to a good price in Canada Amazon

But now Im crossing back over to Kobo with the Libra 2. I currently own a Voyage and like the press sensors. The inverted text and glow light are both modern features Im excited about

Before that I had a Glo and then a Glo HD.

But I dont feel like I have the perfect reader until I have buttons on it. The smaller bezels also makes me feel it'll be difficult to use one handed, and I flat out dislike tapping the screen to turn pages. It certainly looks very nice, but I can't help but feel an e-reader should look less like a tablet. I know these companies want to put the buttons behind a premium price, but the Libra 2 is at least more affordable than Oasis

After selling my Voyage (hopefully) Id be paying a much more affordable price
TimeEffect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 07:07 AM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
How does the screen clarity of the PW5 compare to the PW3?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 01:35 PM   #20
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvkemp View Post

So happy it makes the reading better and is a positive experience. I was also dissappointed with the PW4 as they didn't update it nearly enough and it was a bit phoned in with its updates hardware wise - glad the new Paperwhite is much faster for you.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2021, 12:42 PM   #21
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
Before I discovered the Kindle way back when the Kindle keyboard came out, I didn’t read for pleasure only for the research I had to do for my work. Since I retired I have discovered reading for pleasure and only read using the kindle. Also, I am not like so many on here, I only have the books I am reading and the next books I am going to read next. I do enjoy reading series so when I find a series I like I will if possible download the whole series and remove books as I finish reading it. I mostly read Kindle Unlimited when possible.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 07:07 AM   #22
notareader69
notareader69 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
How does the screen clarity of the PW5 compare to the PW3?
can someone please answer this man? lol thanks
notareader69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 02:56 PM   #23
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by notareader69 View Post
The PW3 is an old device; few people are going to have one around to compare. I had one, but then I went to Voyage and then PW4 so I no longer have any memory that it was an especially great display (but much better than the PW1).

To me, it is going to be apples and oranges. PW3 will have less even lighting (fewer LEDs) and it’s going to be much slower. It is flush-vs-non-flush, and the screen is larger, different lighting conditions to consider, so there’s not really a direct comparison to be made (it will remain subjective as to which is better). And if you have a PW3 and want to compare, get a PW5 and do the test yourself (you can always return).

Last edited by tomsem; 01-06-2022 at 03:01 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 05:54 PM   #24
katadelos
rm -rf /
katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K5, KT, KT2, KT3, KT4, KV, PW2, PW3, PW4, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by notareader69 View Post

In terms of clarity I’d say they’re about the same? PW5 has faster screen refreshes compared to PW3 but I’ve noticed slightly more ghosting on screen afterwards.

Voyage still has the best screen clarity out of any Kindle so far (and PW4 the worst) IMO.
katadelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 03:08 PM   #25
Gremlin79
Gremlin79 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra H20
I am still reading my kindle that I bought in 2013, I also have a Kobo Libra H20 which I like but prefer my old Kindle. It`s had a couple of new batteries but I shouldn`t think it will last much longer. I have a Kindle fire which I hate so would like another paperwhite when mine bites the dust. I mainly read old 18th and 19th century naval and army books so need to side load them which is easy on my old reader with no problems with it reading them. My question is could they be side loaded on the new basic paperwhite. This is my first post so hope it works ok
Gremlin79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 03:37 PM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I do have a PW3. It's a clearer and sharper screen then the PW4. But I've not yet seen the PW5. I may eventually see a PW5 if I got o a shop that has one. I do think the PW3 has the best screen of all the 6" Paperwhites.

Last edited by JSWolf; 01-07-2022 at 04:08 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 05:51 PM   #27
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin79 View Post
I am still reading my kindle that I bought in 2013, I also have a Kobo Libra H20 which I like but prefer my old Kindle. It`s had a couple of new batteries but I shouldn`t think it will last much longer. I have a Kindle fire which I hate so would like another paperwhite when mine bites the dust. I mainly read old 18th and 19th century naval and army books so need to side load them which is easy on my old reader with no problems with it reading them. My question is could they be side loaded on the new basic paperwhite. This is my first post so hope it works ok
You can sideload to the newest Kindles as easily as to the older ones, if the books are in a format compatible with a Kindle.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 11:18 AM   #28
Gremlin79
Gremlin79 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra H20
Thanks Sirtel will order one before they go up in price.
Gremlin79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 06:07 PM   #29
Laura81
Addict
Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 5
I'm tossing up whether to get the new Paperwhite and replace my old 2013 model. It's still going, just getting quite slow. Figure after 9 years might treat myself to an upgrade since this one seems like the best update in the Kindle since the Paperwhite first came out. Only question is... do I pay $200AU now, or wait until they have a bigger sale. Right now it's only 17% off. Anyone know of any larger sales they may have for Kindles in Australia anytime in the next couple of months?
Laura81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 06:09 PM   #30
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
Treat yourself. The new model is amazing. Fast, with a great battery life.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote