Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-12-2022, 04:27 PM   #691
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I can't see on Amazon.de if the Sage includes the stylus or not?
Argos.ie might actually be cheaper, but no indication there about the stylus.
As far as I have seen, the Sage does not include the stylus. Generally, the page says something like "*Stylus sold separately."
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 05:16 PM   #692
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
My power cover arrived today.

First impressions: it's pretty bulky and heavy and I don't see myself using my Sage inside it, but then I expected that. It's easy to slip the Sage in and out, so for me the cover fulfills its purpose, which is to charge the Sage between reading sessions.

It remains to be seen how the charging goes, as I have had no time to read yet today.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2022, 05:32 PM   #693
HknGrss
Enthusiast
HknGrss began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
That is normal. The device does not wake up from sleep or power off to update the screen.
But that wasn't the case with Kobo Clara. The progress was also visible while in sleep mode (or am I remembering wrong?).

It's not a huge problem since it's charging after all, but it still felt weird.
HknGrss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 08:00 PM   #694
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
My power cover arrived today.

First impressions: it's pretty bulky and heavy and I don't see myself using my Sage inside it, but then I expected that. It's easy to slip the Sage in and out, so for me the cover fulfills its purpose, which is to charge the Sage between reading sessions.

It remains to be seen how the charging goes, as I have had no time to read yet today.
It's a pity the PowerCover doesn't have it's own USB socket for charging. I could see plugging it in on the bedside table, reading the Sage without the cover for a bit and then dropping it into the cover when ready to sleep. In the morning when going to work, I'd unplug it and take the whole thing with me. It isn't that hard to plug the device in for charging, but, if I'm falling asleep, it will disturb me.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 08:04 PM   #695
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HknGrss View Post
But that wasn't the case with Kobo Clara. The progress was also visible while in sleep mode (or am I remembering wrong?).

It's not a huge problem since it's charging after all, but it still felt weird.
I'm not sure if it is just the new devices, or a change in the firmware for all. But, updating the charge level meant that either the device was not actually sleeping or had to wake periodically to do the update. Neither are particularly good. Alternatively, it meant the charging circuit did it which would be complications in a lot of places to get the number updated. Changing an LED is (probably) simple, but changing numbers in the middle of the screen is an unnecessary complication.
Advert
Old 01-12-2022, 08:06 PM   #696
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
It's a pity the PowerCover doesn't have it's own USB socket for charging. I could see plugging it in on the bedside table, reading the Sage without the cover for a bit and then dropping it into the cover when ready to sleep. In the morning when going to work, I'd unplug it and take the whole thing with me. It isn't that hard to plug the device in for charging, but, if I'm falling asleep, it will disturb me.
Yes, that would be nice. But as the Oasis 1 charging cover (which Kobo has apparently copied) didn't have one, I didn't expect the Kobo cover to have it either. Oh well.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 08:54 PM   #697
Deobulakenyo
Guru
Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Boyue Likebook P78
Quote:
I'm not sure if it is just the new devices, or a change in the firmware for all. But, updating the charge level meant that either the device was not actually sleeping or had to wake periodically to do the update. Neither are particularly good. Alternatively, it meant the charging circuit did it which would be complications in a lot of places to get the number updated. Changing an LED is (probably) simple, but changing numbers in the middle of the screen is an unnecessary complication.
That would be the best functional design for a power cover
Deobulakenyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 05:53 AM   #698
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
I'm not sure if it is just the new devices, or a change in the firmware for all. ...
I have a Glo HD with newer firmware; I will check.

John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 07:50 AM   #699
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'm not sure if it is just the new devices, or a change in the firmware for all. [...]
I checked my Glo HD. On firmware 4.12.1211 the charging level updates. On firmware 4.30.18838 it doesn't update until it reaches 100%.
Quote:
... But, updating the charge level meant that either the device was not actually sleeping or had to wake periodically to do the update. Neither are particularly good.
Why isn't it good? It seemed to work fine for me all these years. I don't recall any complaints from users. The device is plugged in. It doesn't seem to be a problem waking the device to sync. It doesn't seem to be a problem to wake to refresh the clock. ...
Quote:
Alternatively, it meant the charging circuit did it which would be complications in a lot of places to get the number updated. Changing an LED is (probably) simple, but changing numbers in the middle of the screen is an unnecessary complication.
It sounds like you are proposing the charging circuit itself would have access to the screen and update it?
Old 01-13-2022, 06:35 PM   #700
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I checked my Glo HD. On firmware 4.12.1211 the charging level updates. On firmware 4.30.18838 it doesn't update until it reaches 100%.
Good to know. The charging for my devices usually happens when connected to the PC. Or I have the cover closed, so don't see it updating. Or not updating in this case.
Quote:
Why isn't it good? It seemed to work fine for me all these years. I don't recall any complaints from users. The device is plugged in. It doesn't seem to be a problem waking the device to sync. It doesn't seem to be a problem to wake to refresh the clock. ...
If I put the device to sleep, I expect it to sleep. It should only wake when I ask it to or for important actions. Updating the charge level isn't important. If it was a single wake up when fully charged, that would be different. But, every percent point seems silly.
Quote:
It sounds like you are proposing the charging circuit itself would have access to the screen and update it?
I don't think it does. But, it is the only way for it to work without waking the device. Strictly, there is no reason why it can't be done. But, I think it is complicated enough that it is unlikely to be done.
Old 01-14-2022, 05:21 PM   #701
talaivan
Groupie
talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
According to this post, it is 240 grams, almost the same weight as the reader itself. My Sage sleep cover is 160 grams. That means the power cover is 50% heavier than the sleep cover, adding 80 grams to the weight. You and I have different definitions for "not much heavier".
Sage plus sleep cover: 400gm, Sage plus power cover: 500gm. The power cover is well designed and, for me at least, is not really different from the sleep cover (which I also have). Since getting the power cover, I haven't used the sleep cover -- I use the Sage with no cover unless the battery gets low or I need to take it with me somewhere, and then the power cover works well. The Sage has some real advantages over the Forma. For one thing, when using it without a sleep cover, you can turn it on and off with just the back button, which is convenient. With the Forma, you have use the side button and then swipe. The Sage snaps magnetically into the power cover and is easy to remove or put in, while the sleep cover on the Forma is quite hard to get off, and so I always keep the cover on when using it. (Note the bare Sage is 100gm lighter than the Forma + sleep cover). Also, the more I use the Sage, the more I am pleased with the display, which is better and makes text more distinct than the Forma.

Last edited by talaivan; 01-14-2022 at 05:26 PM.
talaivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 06:44 PM   #702
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by talaivan View Post
Sage plus sleep cover: 400gm, Sage plus power cover: 500gm.
Yes, as I said, the power cover is basically the same weight as the reader itself - WAY too heavy for me. The sleep cover is already too heavy, used only for when I go out, and since I have a plethora of charging points and portable batteries, the very significant extra weight and VERY significant extra cost are are simply not worth it for me.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 05:50 AM   #703
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

If I put the device to sleep, I expect it to sleep. It should only wake when I ask it to or for important actions. Updating the charge level isn't important. If it was a single wake up when fully charged, that would be different. But, every percent point seems silly.

Kudos to Kobo for stopping the silliness that been going on for the past N* years. Silly Kobo.

* Where N >= 10?
Old 01-16-2022, 12:50 PM   #704
martinot
Swedish Kobo User
martinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: Kobo Forma, Kindle Paperwhite 11, iPad mini 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by talaivan View Post
Sage plus sleep cover: 400gm, Sage plus power cover: 500gm.
Half a kilo?? Wow!

That is way worse than I would ever had thought.
martinot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 01:23 PM   #705
talaivan
Groupie
talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-505
The Sage is somewhat heavier than the Forma. For many people who don't need the extra features of the Sage (pencil, slightly better screen), the best thing may be simply to use the bare Forma, which holds its charge much longer than the Sage. For me, the screen and pencil make the Sage a better choice, but there's a lot to be said for using the Forma instead, especially if you don't want to take notes or mark up pdf's.
talaivan is offline   Reply With Quote