Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-05-2020, 08:53 AM   #1
Scaledish
A friend
Scaledish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scaledish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scaledish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scaledish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scaledish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scaledish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scaledish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scaledish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scaledish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scaledish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scaledish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Forma or Libra?

I know the size and flexibility difference, but some people say that the libra has better buttons. is this true? also, is the libra 7inch screen nice to read on? side by side, the forma looks so... big... and nice. is the forma... too big? (i dont read magna or comics, its only for books)
Scaledish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 09:08 AM   #2
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
i have both. the on off switch on my new forma is awful. takes lots and lots of tries to get back out of sleep and sometimes shuts down instead.
my workaround is to use a cover which manages sleep/wake, and never use that button
the libra power button is in a different ( more sensible) place and is a different design
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2020, 09:22 AM   #3
Scaledish
A friend
Scaledish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scaledish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scaledish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scaledish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scaledish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scaledish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scaledish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scaledish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scaledish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scaledish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scaledish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
i have both. the on off switch on my new forma is awful. takes lots and lots of tries to get back out of sleep and sometimes shuts down instead.
my workaround is to use a cover which manages sleep/wake, and never use that button
the libra power button is in a different ( more sensible) place and is a different design
and the page turn buttons? are they the same? how does the size conpare, and what one is more comfortable for reading books?
Old 03-05-2020, 09:43 AM   #4
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

well it's 7 inch vs 8 inch, I don't like buttons much, i prefer to tap screen. repetitive button pressing can be RSI inducing.
equally comfortable but larger screen means less page turns.
the forma-dropbox integration is unimpressive, much less hassle to use USB & calibre
Old 03-05-2020, 10:08 AM   #5
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
well it's 7 inch vs 8 inch, I don't like buttons much, i prefer to tap screen. repetitive button pressing can be RSI inducing.
equally comfortable but larger screen means less page turns.
Just conjecture on my part, but for dedicated reading, wouldn't buttons be less RSI inducing (depending on the button)? It seems to me it is less stressful to leave your finger on a button and press gently than it is lifting your finger up and down tapping the screen?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2020, 10:16 AM   #6
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Just conjecture on my part, but for dedicated reading, wouldn't buttons be less RSI inducing (depending on the button)? It seems to me it is less stressful to leave your finger on a button and press gently than it is lifting your finger up and down tapping the screen?
not for me. & that's the same with Kindles also. maybe because a tap takes less pressure or more probably because I can tap with a flat thumb or finger on a large screen area, but with a button I have to have the digit pre-curled above the button, or keep curing / uncurling

i can't play android games that need fast precise screen taps either, a few minute of those can mess my hand up for days. . but I can do sudoko puzzles with slow finger /hand movements.

anything that needs press + drag + let go on a screen is a no go for me. it's the hold down and drag does the damage

with the kindle oasis? which I used to have , there were 3 pressure settings for buttons but I did not get on with any of them
Old 03-05-2020, 11:34 AM   #7
stumped
Wizard

update. the kindle I had with buttons & 3 pressure settings would have been voyage, not oasis
I just re-tried a couple of things:
with a flat thumb resting on a forma button it takes a hard squeeze between thumb and the rest of the hand that is at the back of the case, to change page. With a curled thumb on the button it takes less pressure but keeping a thumb curled for an hour while reading is un-natural
if i hold forma with left hand & with the thick side at the left, and set that to be screen tap area for next page, I can have a thumb resting just off the screen on or above thick edge of frame, and tap the screen with minimal pressure.
and I can invert device & tap settings every now & again so that next page tap area is on the right, and my right hand does the work
one reason I stopped with kindles and kindle apps is that you cant have "tap left of screen" = next page ( unless they have improved that recently) it has to be tap on the right for next page, always - so using left hand predominantly does not work.
Old 03-05-2020, 11:57 AM   #8
Scaledish
A friend

is a 7 or 8 inch better for normal reading? does one have better buttons? just wondering if the forma is toooooo big
Old 03-05-2020, 12:40 PM   #9
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
I note the Forma and Libra have different screens (besides just size).

Forma screen is flush with the bezel
Libra screen is indented

Usually, this implies a different touch-screen technology, and, in most previous cases, indented has resulted in a sharper screen image than does flush.

I there a difference in sharpness / clarity of the screens between the Forma and Libra?

Thank you!
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 01:05 PM   #10
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaledish View Post
is a 7 or 8 inch better for normal reading? does one have better buttons? just wondering if the forma is toooooo big
That's been discussed, a lot, already in other threads. Read them before repeating the same questions.
Old 03-05-2020, 01:14 PM   #11
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
That's been discussed, a lot, already in other threads. Read them before repeating the same questions.
You can always choose not to answer.

Imagine how few posts we’d have if nothing was repeated.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 01:29 PM   #12
Scaledish
A friend

Quote:
I did a google search for this question before posting, and could not find any results. If you could link me to those forums, I would be happy to read it
Old 03-05-2020, 02:03 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I did a google search for this question before posting, and could not find any results. If you could link me to those forums, I would be happy to read it
No need to go find some other thread.

My suggestion is to go have a look at an iPad mini. It has a 7.9" screen size. If you like that, you'll like an 8" screen. If you don't, then go for the 7" screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 02:12 PM   #14
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
This thread compared 6 inch with 8 inch, but pretty sure there have been others recently
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=325072
Old 03-05-2020, 02:16 PM   #15
stumped
Wizard

Also this thread.
The "which one should I buy" forum is probably best place to browse. Forum Search engines can be frustrating.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=326392&highlight=Libra"

Tags
forma, kobo, libra