Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-24-2014, 06:38 PM   #1
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Comixology now allows DRM-free comics

http://www.cnet.com/news/amazons-com...omics-backups/

Quote:

At the San Diego Comic-Con on Thursday, the company announced that its partner publishers can choose to offer their readers the ability to save comics to their local device outside of the Comixology app.

Comixology's first download partner publishers include Top Shelf, Image, Dynamite, Thrillbent, and Zenescope. Aspiring creators who publish their comics through the Comixology Submit program can also give their readers the option to download DRM-free. The downloaded files will be available in PDF and CBZ formats.
Associated detail:

Quote:

At the announcement at Comic-Con, Comixology head of marketing Chip Mosher reminded the audience that Cory Doctorow said that he would come out in a cheerleader outfit and dance if they announced a DRM-free option. Doctorow, an author of books and at Boing Boing, was not at Comic-Con this year.

Last edited by fjtorres; 07-24-2014 at 06:41 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:07 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I just got an email from them about this telling me some of my stuff was available for "DRM-free backup". The non-ability to download an actual file I can use on various things is the number one thing that's kept me from "buying" more than freebies for the most part where comics are concerned. Too bad we'll likely never see Marvel or DC go this route.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2014, 07:11 PM   #3
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Nice! We'd have a chance to read those on standard E-Ink devices.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:37 PM   #4
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Over 200 of my comics are available for download. YES!
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:16 PM   #5
Stephen OConnell
Stephen OConnell began at the beginning.

Device: iPad/Kindle Paperwhite
DRM free comics is great, now what about DRM free e-books Jeff?!
Stephen OConnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2014, 10:21 PM   #6
RZetlin
Addict
RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD (RIP)
Does this apply to existing comics?
No epub format to backup to?
RZetlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:27 PM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen OConnell View Post
DRM free comics is great, now what about DRM free e-books Jeff?!
Amazon has thousands of DRM free books. If they didn't offer DRM as an option they wouldn't have much of a store since many authors and almost all major publishers insist on it. This is no different. Many smaller and indie comic pubs are DRM free, but the big ones aren't.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:30 PM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZetlin View Post
Does this apply to existing comics?
Yes, depending on publisher. Not all are offering their books DRM-free.

Quote:
No epub format to backup to?
Nope, but very easy to convert a CBZ if your device doesn't support that format. Image Comics does offer ePub along with CBR, CBZ & PDF if you buy through their site.
Old 07-25-2014, 06:21 AM   #9
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Nope, but very easy to convert a CBZ if your device doesn't support that format.
Correct.
A cbz is just a (renamed) zip file full of jpgs.
Rename it from cbz to zip and you can extract a folder full of ordinary images you can view anywhere and do anything with.

For backup/insurance purposes it doesn't get any cleaner.
Very good move.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:54 PM   #10
Ninjalawyer
Guru
Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nexus 7 (2013)
Got the email for this the other day, checked my account page and saw that a good number of my comics are available for backup. Great move on their part; will definitely allay the niggling fear I always have when buying from a system with DRM.
Ninjalawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 06:21 PM   #11
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My backup in total was about 8GB.

Is there anyway I could compress CBZ in batches? I'm blind enough that I probably wouldn't notice the difference.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:39 PM   #12
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post

Is there anyway I could compress CBZ in batches? I'm blind enough that I probably wouldn't notice the difference.
Just leave it as is. 8 gb may sound a lot, but anymore it is just nothing. Sure, 8gb would hold a ton of non graphic books - more than you have time to read in a lifetime. Compressing the comics again will degrade their quality even more. Probably still plenty good for printing out, but for reading on display you want the best quality possible. Compression artefacts show up prominently onscreen, not so much on paper.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 09:59 PM   #13
Kirtai
Addict
Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-650, iPad, Samsung Galaxy SII (JB), Google Nexus 7 (2013)
Quote:
CBZs are already heavily compressed (as fjtorres says, a zip file full of jpegs) so further compression would cost you quite a lot of quality.

And 8GB isn't that much, especially compared to current hard drive sizes. My comic collection is more than 15 times that size
Kirtai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 10:55 PM   #14
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

It is not a good idea because jpegs are already compressed using a lossy algorithm. Getting smaller sizes means either reducing the quality noticeably or resizing the images. Either way, text can get unreadable pretty fast.

Resizing is the easiest to do: Windows has the functionality built-in. You rename the cbz to zip and extract the jpegs. Then:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...gital-pictures

Recompressing can be done with this:

http://icompressor.blogspot.com/2008...ree-image.html

Since 8 GB is only about two single-sided DVDs worth of data, you might want to archive the originals on disk before experimenting with them.

Last edited by fjtorres; 07-25-2014 at 11:03 PM.
Old 07-26-2014, 12:33 PM   #15
Jessica Lares
Wizard

I could probably automate it with Automator on my Mac. I'll look into it. I just want to shave a few 100 pixels off.

I just opened one up, and it's 1988x3056, the iPad Mini is 1024x768, and my computer monitor is 1366x768 in comparison.

This is how it looks like at 100% on my monitor:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-07-26 at 11.16.50 AM.png
Views:	598
Size:	180.2 KB
ID:	125968

I have to shrink it down to 25% before it fits on my screen.

At 828x1273 it's only 432KB, compared to the original 1.4MB.

This shouldn't be a problem I don't think? The text and graphics look fine at this size. I would keep my originals of course, and just have these smaller versions for the iPad.