Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-07-2022, 09:48 PM   #1051
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Fortunately I'm not the one who's sick, but was communicating with a friend about another friend with medical issues.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 09:53 PM   #1052
ownedbycats
Wizard
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD (retired), Kobo Libra H2O
So a few years ago, I purchased a "lifetime license" for some software. Now... it's failing to recognize its registered and reverting to the demo mode. Reinstallation didn't work. Developer isn't responding to my emails.

Thankfully I'm not locked out of my data but I'm looking to a tedious data migration.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 01-07-2022 at 09:57 PM.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 10:05 PM   #1053
Bradles
Enthusiast
Bradles began at the beginning.

Device: Apple Books & Kobo Libra H20
MobileRead Site Timing Out on ONE Computer Only (Update)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradles View Post
The MobileRead site regularly fails to connect on one particular computer, in fact the one I'm using now. If I

Code:
ipconfig /flushdns
it starts working again.
This issue seems to have "resolved itself" as they say. I installed the "November 2021" update (Feature update to Windows 10, version 21H2) on 17 December and the cumulative update (KB4023057) on the 18th. No recurrence since then.
Bradles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 02:14 AM   #1054
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradles View Post
This issue seems to have "resolved itself" as they say. I installed the "November 2021" update (Feature update to Windows 10, version 21H2) on 17 December and the cumulative update (KB4023057) on the 18th. No recurrence since then.
Hmm... now you mention it, it has been a while since I've seen problems loading MR. I couldn't say exactly when the problems stopped. I'm still on Windows 10 20H2 - but I have been applying the cumulative updates.

Windows Update is offering me 21H1 but I've been ignoring it until some work commitments are over (which was supposed to happen by Christmas but are now stretching out to Feb or March). I'd really like Windows Update to offer me 21H2 and skip past 21H1 - I have limited bandwidth and download, and several machines to update - but I'm not sure if they will do that or not. In the past I've skipped updates by downloading ISO images of the latest, but that seems to reset more things back to their defaults which is annoying.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 02:48 AM   #1055
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Or did I just jinx everything by saying it was okay? Everything else seemed okay but MR unavailable to me for a few hours this afternoon ... but back for now
Old 01-14-2022, 02:58 AM   #1056
Darqref
space cadet
Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket PRO, gen3, Pocketbook360
Another grumble. My primary computer is a Win7 box. Yes I know it's old, but it's what I've got. I do a lot of reading procurement for my mother, who is legally blind. I download audio books from several sources, but mostly the library for the blind, and our local public library.

In the process of copying these files to usb chips for her reader (provided by the WTBBL), I end up moving files around from archives on my hard drive (she likes to re-read books, sometimes frequently.)

When I do this, I'm constantly finding that Windows explorer has closed all of the parts of the file tree that I recently opened, and will re-use, forcing me to re-open the tree again. I haven't found any way to force Win7 to change this behavior.

1. Am I overlooking something that actually *will* change the behavior to leave the folders open?

2. Anyone got a favorite replacement for windows explorer that would do this instead?
Darqref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 04:57 AM   #1057
ownedbycats
Wizard
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darqref View Post
Another grumble. My primary computer is a Win7 box. Yes I know it's old, but it's what I've got. I do a lot of reading procurement for my mother, who is legally blind. I download audio books from several sources, but mostly the library for the blind, and our local public library.

In the process of copying these files to usb chips for her reader (provided by the WTBBL), I end up moving files around from archives on my hard drive (she likes to re-read books, sometimes frequently.)

When I do this, I'm constantly finding that Windows explorer has closed all of the parts of the file tree that I recently opened, and will re-use, forcing me to re-open the tree again. I haven't found any way to force Win7 to change this behavior.

1. Am I overlooking something that actually *will* change the behavior to leave the folders open?

2. Anyone got a favorite replacement for windows explorer that would do this instead?
1. Try this.

2. I like XYplorer, but it's pricey.
Old 01-14-2022, 05:20 AM   #1058
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Lenovo P11
Quote:

You could try Q Dir It's been my default for several years. It's light, small and free, so you have nothing to lose by trying it out
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 06:10 AM   #1059
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
. . .

I use a rather ancient version of xplorer² Pro. I've been using it and its 2X Explorer predecessor since late last century.

There's a free version known as xplorer² Lite ==>> https://www.zabkat.com/x2lite.htm. You could start by trying it - its probably all you need.

The reason I haven't upgraded is I had no use for the new features.

Here's the support forum, https://forum.zabkat.com/index.php

Added: Oh, I use it alongside Windows Explorer, it can replace but that opens cans of worms.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 01-14-2022 at 06:13 AM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 10:08 AM   #1060
gmw
cacoethes scribendi

I see BetterRed beat me to it. I use xplorer² from Zabkat too. Mine's reasonably up to date. It's relatively plain to look at but there are a myriad of options and lots of power for those that want it, or you can keep it simple.

I looked at Q Dir mentioned by Uncle Robin and it didn't float my boat, but given the description of your problem you may find it fits well.

I quite liked XYplorer when I looked at it some years ago, but at that time they were having trouble properly supporting 64bit systems (in a manner acceptable to me, anyway). I don't know if they have fixed that since.

I looked at lots more some years ago, but these were the pick of the bunch at the time and xplorer² was what fitted me best. I've updated with each of the major version changes - which has been often enough to give comfort that development is still happening, but not so often that the developer seems greedy.

Oh, and I second BR's advice. Full Windows Explorer replacement can be troublesome, I much prefer to leave that as it is and just run xplorer² like any other application.
Old 01-14-2022, 07:59 PM   #1061
ownedbycats
Wizard

XYplorer also has an option to replace Explorer, but the behaviour can get a bit weird. Particularly when certain applications instead call Explorer directly when opening a directory, but then clicking anything inside that Explorer window then opens it in my XYplorer instance.
Old Today, 05:24 AM   #1062
ownedbycats
Wizard

Playing a game that's... well, with VSync off, my GPU fans sounded like I was running the vacuum cleaner. I checked and it was outputting 250-300 fps. I have a 60 hz monitor. That's a lot of wasted frames.

Sadly it didn't have a physics engine.

Last edited by ownedbycats; Today at 05:34 AM.