Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-21-2022, 12:13 PM   #31
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Don't forget the fact that language and definitions themselves do not remain stagnant (even if we might want them to).

I just find it odd whenever someone wants to draw a very public line in the sand about what "reading" is and isn't--and will argue to death that there is no wiggle room whatsoever. But those same people usually won't say a word whenever people talk about "dialing" a phone number.

When someone asks me if I've read 'Book X', I'm never going to say "no, but I listened to it." I'm going to say "yes" (or no) and get to the part of the conversation that actually matters: what we thought about 'Book X'. How we might have described our "consumption" of 'Book X' is actually quite meaningless in the grand scheme of things.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 01-21-2022 at 12:20 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 02:19 PM   #32
LDB
Baker Street Irregular
LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PaperWhite 5, Aura One, Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I'm never going to say "no, but I listened to it."
Me either. I'd just reply "I listened to it." Leads to an even more accurate conversation that way.
LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 02:44 PM   #33
Joliet Jake
Connoisseur
Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
I think I'm unusual in being a bookworm. I know a lot of younger educated people who don't read books and think it's unusual when I'm reading an ebook. I do find, when looking for info as well as entertainment, that I watch a lot of Youtube videos during this pandemic. (I try to stay clear of political videos, as I don't want "the algorithm" to rewrite reality for me.) I find I absorb info better when reading, and I can read much faster than people can talk (most of the time). I know many tech-illiterate people, who don't like reading, who nonetheless watch a lot of Youtube videos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
Yeah, I had a coworker like that. He never read a book unless it was necessary for work, and before that for school. I was gobsmacked. And he said he didn't watch TV but he did spend a lot of time playing computer games.
I have coworkers with a similar attitude toward computers. They're needed for work and nothing else.
Joliet Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 04:27 PM   #34
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Deep in the heart of Texas (whether I like it or not)
Device: Kobo Aura, Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, Glowlight Plus, Glowlight 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joliet Jake View Post
I have coworkers with a similar attitude toward computers. They're needed for work and nothing else.
Well, looks like they are handy for accessing Mobileread
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 06:54 PM   #35
DuskyRose
Fanatic
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Onyx Nova2, Ipad Mini and Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I just find it odd whenever someone wants to draw a very public line in the sand about what "reading" is and isn't--and will argue to death that there is no wiggle room whatsoever. But those same people usually won't say a word whenever people talk about "dialing" a phone number.
Yes, I find it odd as well. Not everything can fit into those little boxes we all seem to want to use to make life tidy.

I think that most people don't realize how many different ways brains are wired. For example, I'm a bookworm, yet don't get into audiobooks that much. When I read text, I usually visualize the scene in my head, and quit seeing the words. A poorly written fiction will keep throwing me out, and ruin my visuals. Audiobooks will put me to sleep unless I'm walking the dog while listening, or on a road trip.

Hubby, OTOH, can't do that. He says he can't even imagine what it's like to 'see' the action in his head. He hears the words when he reads as a voice, and has a condition where he won't actually see all the words in a sentence anyway. (It's not dylexia we don't think, but he's never followed up on testing.) Something to do with poor connection between the left and right hemispheres of the brain. So he doesn't read for pleasure, and when he was in college I read most of his heavy reading out loud for him. But he LOVES audiobooks, and is a bit of a snob in that he wants real human voices. So we have duplicates of some favorite genres, text and audiobook, if we're both going to read it.

(I hang around Amazon, he hangs around Audible, and we recommend books to each other.)

To me, they're both reading. We both absorbed the story in different formats, but it's still reading. When someone asks him if he's read a specific book, he'll say yes. Then they can talk about the story.

I really doubt anyone cares if he read it from a physical book, an audio book, or an ebook. They're still talking about the same story.
DuskyRose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 07:58 PM   #36
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
Abelist, much? Why are you trying so hard to police how people with disabilities consume content that they literally cannot every consume by your definition of reading? None of us sighted folks have any business telling those with limited or no sight whether or not they are "reading" a book just because they do it differently than we do.

Also, I don't know why you feel that "touch" as reading qualifies it to be reading more than hearing.

Audiobooks are cheaper to buy than braille books, easier to store, and easier to find. This also ignores those who lose their sight later in life and are too infirm or otherwise incapable of learning how to read braille.

My mother has macular degeneration and loves to read. She now reads audiobooks through National Library Service in conjunction with the State of Georgia. All states have this service for those who are legally blind. They provide free audiobooks and a player. The books come in the mail, and they send enough to keep her reading until the next batch arrives. They also provide free mailers to return the books once you have finished them. They will also provide Braille books for free too. If you know anyone who is legally blind and likes to read help them sign up for this wonderful service.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote