Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 09-10-2019, 08:22 AM   #1
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Apple event

The September Apple event is today. I'm not hearing a ton of new rumors. If things go according to form, they will announce a new iPhone, maybe some other upgrades, talk about the new Apple streaming service and announce when stuff can be orders and when it will start shipping. My guess is that the new operating systems will be rolled out starting early next week.

I'm looking forward to the new operating systems. I've got a feel for it with my test machines, but I'm going to be interested to see how audiobooks and the books app work together with my full library on my main desktop.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 11:02 AM   #2
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
Here is my prediction: Basically a "meh" year, IMO.
  • Two or three slightly improved iPhones with new features of little interest to me, but a higher price tag. I usually keep my current iPhone for 2 to 3 years before upgrading, so new iPhones every year are not very exciting to me, if at all. And I could not care less about their cameras. I use rea cameras to take photos, not Cracker-Jack box toys.
  • One or more new iPads. Little new or improved here, and probably a higher price tag. Same as with iPhones, I rarely upgrade due to their ridiculous price tags.
  • New Mac OS. A few nice features, but a major PITA as far as 32-bit apps go, and some of us need those 32-bit apps. If the Mojave updates over the past few months are any indication of what we can expect with the latest OS upgrade, then expect a bumpy ride. They have done little more than eff up Mojave with buggy updates over the summer. Wish they would hire better programmers and managers...
  • iPad OS. In theory it could be good, but it could also be awful if we have to wait forever for apps to be updated in order to take advantage of it. iOS is getting difficult to use IMO, and they should have addressed usability more than glitz and BS sales points designed for the younger people.
  • iOS update. Yawn.....wait, what were we talking about? Oh yes, some more tiny improvements or something...yawn....
  • Woohoo, Apple TV!!!! Wait, is that all there is to it. What a friggin' let down, and expensive to boot.
  • Apple News+. Basically take a POS, re-label it, and now charge for it. Yep, that makes sense, said no consumer ever. Why pay for news that is several days, or even weeks old. And considering how many publishers are totally upset with Apple and the deals they made with them, I expect it to tank within a year or two.

Hey, but on the bright side we get to see a highly staged and choreographed production of old men trying to look hip to select few Millennials they invited, and trying to impress the masses with shiny new trinkets that are not much improved from last year's shiny new trinkets. BTW, I'm still waiting for the rest of those new things that were promised in 2018 but never actually showed up, and the ones from 2017.... They always say we have plenty of new things coming in the next year, but we never seem to see anything worth mentioning.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 12:41 PM   #3
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hum, maybe you should throw a "get off my lawn" in there as well.

I don't expect to hear anything that's going to make me pull out my wallet either. I'm waiting for 5G before I upgrade by iPhone 8 plus and just upgraded my iPad mini and laptop last Spring. I might upgrade the iPad Pro at some point soon, just because I dropped it last winter and the screen has a crack in the corner.

I assume this is going to be iPhone and Apple TV all the way. Yea, I'm underwhelmed on the Apple TV streaming service, but the Apple TV and TV app have been steadily improving over the past several years. I cut the cord earlier this month and have been using my Apple TV to stream playstation VUE, ESPN and FoxSports. It works pretty well.

I think that really with Apple TV, et al, it's waiting until November when the Apple TV streaming service and the Disney streaming service go live. I think that then we will see a lot of movement. My take on the Apple TV streaming service remains the same, if it's part of the Apple Music/iCloud then fine, but I'm not paying extra for it. There just isn't enough content to interest me.
Old 09-10-2019, 12:48 PM   #4
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Alas, need to replace an iPhone 5s so gonna have to upgrade this year no matter how unattractive the new iPhones are. Oh well, at the very least these new phones mean price drops on older models. Might opt for discounted iPhone 8.

I'm looking forward to the rumored $329 iPad replacement, though.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 01:15 PM   #5
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And here we go... The September 10 apple Luv Fest:

Apple Arcade Service

Well first off the starting line they are talking about Apple Arcade. No doubt interesting to those inclined to play games, but not something that has much interest in my generation, the Baby Boomers. You remember us from people like Steve Jobs and the Woz. The folks who started the whole home computer industry. Anyway, Apple Arcade is available on September 19th with unlimited access at $4.99/month for the whole family.

Apple TV+ Service

First shows available on November 1 with new shows added monthly and will cost $4.99/mo for the whole family. You get 1 year free if you buy an iPhone, iPad, or Apple TV (maybe some other items too that I missed).

So $4.99/mo seems to be the early trend...

iPads

Apparently only one new iPad, the base model below.

7th Gen iPad
  • 10.2 inch
  • A10 Fusion chip
  • Keyboard/cover
  • iPad OS
  • Apple Pencil support
  • 1 year of Apple TV+ with purchase
  • Starts at $329 ($299 for education)
  • Ships September 30

Apple Watch Series 5
  • Health research studies: Hearing study, Women's Health study, Heart and Movement study.
  • Always on display option
  • Built in compass
  • Safety features: Emergency calling feature available world wide.
  • New titanium option
  • New ceramic option
  • Series 5 start at $399 and $499
  • Available September 20
  • Series 3 now start at $199

iPhone11

Camera Info
  • Two cameras. Wide camera and ultra-wide camera.
  • Camera software improvements
  • Camera Night mode: Automatically comes on when needed. Uses adaptive bracketing (multiple images at various settings that are stacked).
  • Camera 2x optical zoom

Other Info
  • Six new colors
  • 6.1 inch model
  • A13 bionic chip (a little faster than the A12 in the XR)
  • Battery lasts 1 hour longer than the XR
  • iPhone11 starts at $699
  • Available on on September 20

iPhone11 Pro 5.8", iPhone Pro Max 6.5"

Camera Info
  • Three cameras. Wide camera, ultra-wide camera, and telephoto camera.
  • Camera 4x optical zoom on telephoto camera. (Note: 52mm actual FL which probably is the 35mm film eq. of around 200mm.)
  • Deep Fusion feature, available later via software update, basically this is HDR bracketing.
  • Camera Night mode: Automatically comes on when needed. Uses adaptive bracketing (multiple images at various settings that are stacked).

Other Info
  • iPhone Pro Max 6.5 inch model and iPhone Pro 5.8 inch model
  • A13 bionic chip with Machine Learning Controller and lower power requirement and 4 cores
  • Battery lasts 4 hours longer than the XS
  • Super Retina XTR Display (OLED)
  • iPhone11 Pro Max 6.5 inch starts at $1099
  • Available on September 20
  • iPhone11 Pro 5.8 inch starts at $999
  • Available on on September 20

Older iPhone Models
  • iPhone 8 still offered, price starts at $449, iPhone 8 Plus starts at $549
  • iPhone XR still offered, price starts at $599

Apparently no new Apple TV steaming device

Really no need for one at present as the current devices far outpace the competition. So no surprise here.

That is all folks.

Last edited by OtinG; 09-10-2019 at 05:01 PM.
Old 09-10-2019, 01:40 PM   #6
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I think that really with Apple TV, et al, it's waiting until November when the Apple TV streaming service and the Disney streaming service go live. I think that then we will see a lot of movement. My take on the Apple TV streaming service remains the same, if it's part of the Apple Music/iCloud then fine, but I'm not paying extra for it. There just isn't enough content to interest me.
Available November 1 for $4.99/mo for whole family. Might be okay if they get enough watchable material. Not for me though. Almost all the shows they are showing are geared toward a much younger audience than me.
Old 09-10-2019, 01:50 PM   #7
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Yea, neither the $5 for the game arcade nor the $5 for the streaming service appeal much to me. The Apple Watch 5, with the always on display sounds pretty interesting though.
Old 09-10-2019, 02:01 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Yea, neither the $5 for the game arcade nor the $5 for the streaming service appeal much to me. The Apple Watch 5, with the always on display sounds pretty interesting though.
Are you sure the always on display is part of Apple Watch 5 or is it part of Watch OS?

Remember, a lot of "new features" are really only new because of a new version of iOS.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 02:38 PM   #9
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Are you sure the always on display is part of Apple Watch 5 or is it part of Watch OS?

Remember, a lot of "new features" are really only new because of a new version of iOS.
They said part of the Apple Watch 5. Apparently, it's possible to do because of the reduced power load for the new display. Certainly no one has mentioned it in the betas.
Old 09-10-2019, 02:49 PM   #10
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Quote:
Pricing not too bad on Arcade and TV+, but not interested in either myself.

I do like that Apple is pushing health research and functionality on the Series 5 Watches. Most companies only care about fitness and workout tracking, but old farts like me need the health tracking and functionality and don't need or care much about the fitness stuff. My Garmin Vivosmart HR just broke its non-replaceable band so it is now a functioning paperweight. I am interested in the Watch 5, but doubt I can ever afford one unless my health insurance offers help on that, but since I have a managed care Medicare plan there is little hope that will ever happen.

Last edited by OtinG; 09-10-2019 at 05:04 PM.
Old 09-10-2019, 02:56 PM   #11
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

They sure had some audio issues with a few of the speakers this year. Not as bad as a while back when they had serious issues during one of the events.

The new base model iPad seems to be a good deal, probably the best deal of the day, especially since it comes with a 1 year subscription to Apple TV+. I need a newer iPad, so that might be an option sometime next year.
Old 09-10-2019, 02:59 PM   #12
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Did they mention the release dates of iOS 13 and Mac OS 10.15? I never heard anything, but I took a few breaks during the event.
Old 09-10-2019, 03:05 PM   #13
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
The one good thing about it is that the price of the Iphone 8 came down, so I may get that instead of the 7. I have to leave my world of flip phone....
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 03:54 PM   #14
azt33
Connoisseur
azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
Did they mention the release dates of iOS 13 and Mac OS 10.15? I never heard anything, but I took a few breaks during the event.
iOS 13 will be released 19 September, e.g. one day before the new iPhones will be shipped/available in stores.

No word on Catalina though.
azt33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 04:23 PM   #15
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
The one good thing about it is that the price of the Iphone 8 came down, so I may get that instead of the 7. I have to leave my world of flip phone....
I just checked Apple’s website and the iPhone 8 will start at $449. Keep in mind that the iPhone 7 has been discontinued, so brand new ones will likely be discounted by various retailers to clear them out of stock, so there might be some good deals to be had.