Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-28-2016, 02:55 PM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
New ereader now that Kindle cannot be jailbroken

Moderator Notice

Thread split off from https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=270243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enor View Post
I didn't spend $100 on something that won't work for me. I spent $100 on something that I thought I could easily make work better for me. There's a difference. Really, there is.

At the time, there was a jailbreak available for the version my Paperwhite came with, but I didn't do my homework (which I took the blame for already) and didn't realize that Amazon could update our devices without us knowing. By the time I realized this, my device was updated and the jailbreak would no longer work. I hope that is a little more clear. Sorry if I was confusing.
Well, now that you lost your window of opportunity, now would be a good time to look into a different Reader.

Last edited by eschwartz; 01-30-2016 at 09:12 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 11:19 AM   #2
Enor
Enthusiast
Enor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Enor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Enor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Enor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Enor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Enor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Enor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Enor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Enor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Enor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Enor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Well, now that you lost your window of opportunity, now would be a good time to look into a different Reader.
I think you may be on to something. Out of curiosity, what would you suggest? With my primary needs being:
1. An e-ink reader (so I can read outside). I should let you know that my visual impairment is such that I cannot see a tablet at all outside. I usually use my iPad inside but need something for outside.

2. Since I have 100's of Kindle books and use the Amazon ecosystem without any issues, I'd like to be able to use that without any extra process (converting, DRM removal, etc.).

3. I appreciate being able to sync locations between my Paperwhite and iPad seemlessly.

4. I would love to have a night mode so that I could use it inside as well (for various reasons).

5. I would love to be able to adjust fonts (size and weight) without having to run the books through a conversion tool, as well.

These are my primary needs, really. If you have any suggestions, for a better e-reader, I'd appreciate it. At least a place to really start looking. Thanks!
Enor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 11:39 AM   #3
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Enor,
Any kindle will work for you.
As long as you have the kindle app for apple/iPad, your books should sync.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 11:45 AM   #4
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
@Enor. You have two choices as I see it. A Kobo or an open Android reader.

Quote:
2. Since I have 100's of Kindle books and use the Amazon ecosystem without any issues, I'd like to be able to use that without any extra process (converting, DRM removal, etc.).
Forget it on the Kobo. You'll have to convert them probably to epub using Calibre. It's not hard to do. An android reader will read anything, including the Amazon mobi format.

Quote:
4. I would love to have a night mode so that I could use it inside as well (for various reasons).
The Kobo allows this, but you must apply patches and custom packages to make it happen. If you are able to consider JBing a Kindle, this should present no problem.

Again, Android will do it.

Quote:
5. I would love to be able to adjust fonts (size and weight) without having to run the books through a conversion tool, as well.
The standard Kobo interface has the best viewing options, period. It all just works.

Android formatting options are light years ahead of a Kindle formatting (what isn't?).

Probably the Kobo would suit your needs. I have one sitting round I don't use, so I'm not mad about them, but I think a Kobo would best suit your needs. It does involve some messing about to get it exactly as you want it, but as I said, if you are willing to apply a software JB to a Kindle, it's no worse than that, and a lot less can go wrong. If things go wrong, you just do a hard-reset.

The only other option is to get a rooted Android e-reader which would also do all of this stuff, and more.

I believe the new Nook can be rooted: There's a link about rooting it here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/nook...3230323/page24

Alternatively get an Onyx or Boyue off of Amazon (if you're in the States).

I am not aware of a option that will allow you to sync across platforms, but the Kobo might do it. I'm not sure how it would handle non-Kobo purchased books.

Last edited by Rizla; 01-30-2016 at 12:16 PM.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 11:47 AM   #5
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Enor,
Any kindle will work for you.
As long as you have the kindle app for apple/iPad, your books should sync.
The user has already expressed that the Kindle he already owns lacks the functionality (sans JB) that he requires.
Old 01-30-2016, 12:00 PM   #6
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
The user has already expressed that the Kindle he already owns lacks the functionality (sans JB) that he requires.
In that case, since any jail-broken Kindle will serve his purposes, I would suggest he review the Kindles that can be jail-broken to determine which best suits him and then look for one at a good price for one in good working condition on eBay.

I have ordered three of them over the past few years that way and been pleased with them. There are plenty of people out there who have to have the latest and greatest of everything. Some of them are thoughtful enough to think to offer their older models they are replacing for sale on eBay and recovering some of their cost of moving on to the newer model by so doing.

He might need to wait a few weeks to find one at a good price, as some people seem to overprice their used units originally. I have seen some with an asking price higher than that of a new Kindle, truly absurd. Be patient unless you have money to burn.

Dave
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 12:18 PM   #7
Rizla
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdurgee View Post
In that case, since any jail-broken Kindle will serve his purposes, I would suggest he review the Kindles that can be jail-broken to determine which best suits him and then look for one at a good price for one in good working condition on eBay.
AFAIK anything after the PW2 (including the PW2) is supported by the FW that cannot be JBed. I guess the best would be a PW2 with older software or the JB already installed.
Old 01-30-2016, 12:25 PM   #8
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
AFAIK anything after the PW2 (including the PW2) is supported by the FW that cannot be JBed. I guess the best would be a PW2 with older software of the JB already installed.
I suspect he will have difficulty locating a jail-broken Kindle on eBay, it might be more likely someone on the forums would have one they would be willing to part with. Is there a "for-sale-or-trade" forum?

I was thinking that an earlier model would suit him, I still use a K3W even though I have a KT2 awaiting the JB, and there are plenty of other models available that can be jail-broken. Perhaps there is a list in the Wiki of the models with their JB status he can use as a starting point.

Dave
Old 01-30-2016, 01:10 PM   #9
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
AFAIK anything after the PW2 (including the PW2) is supported by the FW that cannot be JBed. I guess the best would be a PW2 with older software or the JB already installed.
PW-1
The K5 is the most recent device not infected with the 5.6.x virus.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 01:33 PM   #10
dhdurgee
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
PW-1
The K5 is the most recent device not infected with the 5.6.x virus.
So that would leave the K5, K4, K3 and earlier models as possible alternatives for him to consider that can be jail-broken with the current tools. I would suspect quite a few of these would be available in good operating condition on eBay.

Dave
Old 01-30-2016, 03:43 PM   #11
Rizla
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdurgee View Post
So that would leave the K5, K4, K3 and earlier models as possible alternatives for him to consider that can be jail-broken with the current tools. I would suspect quite a few of these would be available in good operating condition on eBay.

Dave
But none of those have front-lights. Maybe that doesn't matter, but the user stated he wanted a "night-mode." Not sure what he meant by that. But most people want a front-light these days. The PW2 did originally come with FW that could be JBed.
Old 01-30-2016, 05:50 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmsitsee View Post
ok
but i dont see any feasible jailbreak to install koreader and x-reader on it
If you don't mind not being able to install x-reader, you can install koreader on a Kobo.
Old 01-30-2016, 06:02 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I think you may be on to something. Out of curiosity, what would you suggest? With my primary needs being:
1. An e-ink reader (so I can read outside). I should let you know that my visual impairment is such that I cannot see a tablet at all outside. I usually use my iPad inside but need something for outside.
Kobo Aura H2O because the screen is 6.8" and you have many choices of font size and with the patches, you can specify the font sizes you want.

Quote:
If you use Calibre and have the DRM plugin working, removing the DRM from Kindle eBooks is as simple as loading the eBooks into Calibre and the DRM is removed. Then you can have Calibre do the conversion to ePub on the fly as you send to am ePub capable Reader or you can convert before hand.

Quote:
3. I appreciate being able to sync locations between my Paperwhite and iPad seemlessly.
Kindle PW3

Quote:
There is a night mode patch for the Kobo Aura H2O.

Quote:
Kobo Aura H2O. There is a patch that allows you to adjust the weight for side loaded truetype fonts.

Quote:
These are my primary needs, really. If you have any suggestions, for a better e-reader, I'd appreciate it. At least a place to really start looking. Thanks!
So from your requirements, a Kobo Aura H2O fits most of your requirements.
Old 01-30-2016, 06:14 PM   #14
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:

Sounds to be like you want to look into an Android reader, Onyx makes some & IIRC Boyue, where you can install Android apps to read your stuff. That way you can use the Kindle app where wanted and other apps when needs dictate. Be sure to check to see how well certain apps work on eInk before committing though.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 09:08 PM   #15
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:

DeDRM and conversion are quite easy, using calibre.

But if this is a dealbreaker for you, then there is no option other than a Kindle device.
That includes the Kindle app for Android (i.e. one of the various E-Ink Android tablets).

Quote:
Kindles are the only vendor platform that supports upload and syncing of personal content.

Your options for sync are to use Kindles, buy all your books anew from the platform you switch to, or use dedicated reader apps which support storing bookmarks/highlights/current page through Dropbox/other.

That last option pretty much excludes the dedicated ereader market (unless you go with KOReader which is available for Kindle (JB'ed) and Kobo. There is also KOReader for Android, but not for iOS!!!)

Quote:
Well, the Kindle can change font size already, but that is about it.
If these things are of primary importance to someone, a Kobo is generally the better choice.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote