Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 08-31-2020, 12:24 PM   #1
beaLollina
Enthusiast
beaLollina began at the beginning.

Device: none
Post Linux Default Calibre Internal Path (preferences)

Hi , I was looking for Preferences default internal path on Linux (Ubuntu Budgie) , I need to put there an old backup to restore some old preferences (colors, theme, icons etc), does someone know where to look for it?
beaLollina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 12:28 PM   #2
beaLollina
Enthusiast

Ok sorry for the dumb question, found it at opt/calibre
Advert
Old 08-31-2020, 01:33 PM   #3
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaLollina View Post
Ok sorry for the dumb question, found it at opt/calibre
No, you need to use:
Code:
/home/yourusername/.config/calibre/resources
This is so when calibre updates you do not lose your personal preferences.

https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/cus...ates-et-cetera
Quote:
You should not change the files in this resources folder, as your changes will get overwritten the next time you update calibre. Instead, go to Preferences → Advanced → Miscellaneous and click Open calibre configuration directory. In this configuration directory, create a sub-folder called resources and place the files you want to override in it. Place the files in the appropriate sub folders, for example place images in resources/images, etc. calibre will automatically use your custom file in preference to the built-in one the next time it is started.

bernie

Last edited by gbm; 08-31-2020 at 01:36 PM.
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 05:27 PM   #4
beaLollina
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
No, you need to use:
Code:
/home/yourusername/.config/calibre/resources
This is so when calibre updates you do not lose your personal preferences.

https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/cus...ates-et-cetera

bernie
Hi bernie, thank you for your reply, I'm having a bit of confusion about all this different folders because I unziped my config folder and now I'm not really sure about where I should paste it. This folder was on Windows 10, and it was in the internal path from the Calibre Configuration Panel. It has a folder named "resources" that is almost empty.

Can I paste all my config files in this new path? Or should I examine every folder since maybe they could be different from the Windows ones?
Old 08-31-2020, 06:29 PM   #5
beaLollina
Enthusiast

I tried both ways in a Calibre Instance I use for testing things:
1-paste it in a new folder named resources, restart calibre--> no results

2-paste it and replace every file in the folder--> it creates a new empty library (with some of the imported preferences, plugins, some colors, some icons) named It with the old Windows path (C:\etc)

For next backup preference I will do: is there a way to save custom columns and user categories? I hope there is a way to apply this preferences to an existing library

(I'm sorry I'm new to Linux and my touchpad is way too sensitive- it makes me duplicate everything I write without noticing, I hope it's more clear now!)

Last edited by beaLollina; 09-01-2020 at 02:59 AM.
Advert
Old 08-31-2020, 07:35 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Resources is for you Custom/alternate of standard items (these are your version of those found in the resources of THE INSTALL. The purpose of this loc is so Calibre Updates do not stomp on your customized...)

There is no single location. they need to go back where they were originally found

(user) Preferences go where they came from: usually the config folder or /Plugins (for those settings)
Alternate Icons go in /Resources/images unless the are part of a PI
custom templates go /resources/templates

If you did a backup of the original config folder, they should be in the proper paths
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 02:50 AM   #7
beaLollina
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Resources is for you Custom/alternate of standard items (these are your version of those found in the resources of THE INSTALL. The purpose of this loc is so Calibre Updates do not stomp on your customized...)

There is no single location. they need to go back where they were originally found

(user) Preferences go where they came from: usually the config folder or /Plugins (for those settings)
Alternate Icons go in /Resources/images unless the are part of a PI
custom templates go /resources/templates

If you did a backup of the original config folder, they should be in the proper paths
Hi theducks, are you saying that this configuration can be applied only to the exact duplicate of the library it was applied before? Doesn't change anything that the first config folder was on Windows?

Ps: (I edited my last reply, it was a mess and I didn't notice it until today, it should be more comprehensible now, sorry for the inconvenient)

Last edited by beaLollina; 09-01-2020 at 03:01 AM.
Old 09-01-2020, 05:05 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaLollina View Post
Hi theducks, are you saying that this configuration can be applied only to the exact duplicate of the library it was applied before? Doesn't change anything that the first config folder was on Windows?

Ps: (I edited my last reply, it was a mess and I didn't notice it until today, it should be more comprehensible now, sorry for the inconvenient)
Yes! The only change you will make is to point Calibre at the current Library (and others, if you have more than 1).
When you first start up after doing the Config, calibre will report NOT Found (because it was a Windows path also) and make the entry. If you used the Linux Default, you are good to go, as you should see your books.
If you used a custom name/location: right-click the Library Icon: Switch-Create: USE EXISTING:<path>
Once you Library (ies) are settled: Cleanup the Quick switch: By selecting DELETE for any non-active ENTRY (these are just links, in you case:mostly dead). Even if you deleted an actual entry. it only removes the Linkage. You will be instructed to use the OS to remove the actual folder to finalize (give you a chance to recover from a oops ).
In your case, the path is now bogus, so there is no unwanted Library folder.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 07:17 AM   #9
beaLollina
Enthusiast

Yes, the bagus path was just the name of the new library, I deleted it and preferences have been updated even on others libraries. Thank you for the support

Tags
internal path, linux, preferences files