Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-18-2011, 06:45 AM   #1
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
An example of a problem with DRM systems

A new member has just posted a question which shows one of the problems that DRM systems can cause: loss of access to purchased books.

I'm astonished that ADE is still doing this (allowing installation without authorisation), when customers have been making this same mistake since it was first released.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 07:08 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I've never before heard of ADE allowing purchases without an explicit authorisation. Has it always done so?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 07:27 AM   #3
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
It had been so for a while.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 08:25 AM   #4
Ninjalawyer
Guru
Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nexus 7 (2013)
For downloaded music and movies, there have been numerous examples of of people losing access to their purchases when a DRM authentication server is taken down or the company running the DRM scheme has gone belly-up. I'm actually surprised at how infrequently this is an issue with ebooks though.

Edit

Business decisions also made this an issue with Fictionwise:

http://dearauthor.com/ebooks/how-to-...-and-overdrive

Last edited by Ninjalawyer; 12-18-2011 at 08:32 AM. Reason: For great justice
Ninjalawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 08:42 AM   #5
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjalawyer View Post
For downloaded music and movies, there have been numerous examples of of people losing access to their purchases when a DRM authentication server is taken down or the company running the DRM scheme has gone belly-up. I'm actually surprised at how infrequently this is an issue with ebooks though.

Edit

Business decisions also made this an issue with Fictionwise:

http://dearauthor.com/ebooks/how-to-...-and-overdrive
Yes, this has happened several times. But this instance is caused by a different thing: A really bad user interface decision.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 12:35 AM   #6
Darqref
space cadet
Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket PRO, gen3, Pocketbook360
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Yes, this has happened several times. But this instance is caused by a different thing: A really bad user interface decision.
from my viewpoint, ADE is a virus, and I refuse to let it be installed on my systems. I haven't pursued the issue, but I *think* I could buy epub books from B&N without needing ADE. It hasn't been worth it yet.
Darqref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 01:11 AM   #7
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darqref View Post
from my viewpoint, ADE is a virus, and I refuse to let it be installed on my systems. I haven't pursued the issue, but I *think* I could buy epub books from B&N without needing ADE. It hasn't been worth it yet.
Right, you don't need ADE on your computer to buy ebooks from B&N.
Also, you don't need ADE on your computer to read the books that you
buy from B&N, even if they have DRM on them.

I have no "Nook" but I do have a B&N account and a "Nook" library on their
server. My ereader ( the Ectaco jetBook Lite ) supports the B&N DRM scam
(along with ADE and Secure eReader). The ADE and B&N DRM scam support
comes with the Adobe Reader Mobile 9.1.1 implemented on the device for
reading .epub and .pdf files.

If your ereader device can read B&N DRMed files then you don't need ADE
to read them.

I have a copy of "Nook for PC" on my system, but I'm not sure it makes any
difference to the store. When I buy an ebook from them I just go to the
"Nook Library" that they maintain for my purchases and download the file,
then I remove the infection, so it's usable on all my devices. I never need
to access "Nook for PC" or ADE.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 03:59 AM   #8
TheSFReader
Groupie
TheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really nice

Device: Nook
Yes, it's so sad to see "uneducated" people getting bitten by this infection whereas we all know a cure exists... So either go DRM abstinent, or use Alf's condoms and don't let DRMs intrude your personal library ^^
TheSFReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 05:11 AM   #9
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Thanks for warning us!
Eventhough I don't use DRM'ed content, I have the experience of losing a good 15 books due to DRM (a change of user on a device)!
Ever since I've stayed away from DRM, but fear the day I buy a book that has DRM on it without me knowing it!

I wish there was a simple way to strip DRM off of books as soon as they are received, without losing quality the book, nor of the pictures inside the book!
I don't want to screen capture the book, or reconvert it!
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 05:26 AM   #10
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
I wish there was a simple way to strip DRM off of books as soon as they are received, without losing quality the book, nor of the pictures inside the book!
Google 'Apprentice Alf'. He is a good friend

If you use Calibre you can install the plugins and removing DRM then becomes invisible as far as importing your books into Calibre is concerned.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 05:32 AM   #11
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
If you're a Mac user and know some Applescript, you can attach a Folder Action Script to wherever the downloads end up to automatically process all new arrivals with the liberation tools*. Possibly something similar could be worked up for Windows users.

* Disclaimer: I have not actually done this myself because I'm lazy and buy mostly non-DRM stuff anyway though probably I should to keep backups of the more interesting promo freebies I get.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 06:19 AM   #12
reprep
Addict
reprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: amazon kindle DXG
I just checked my ADE to be sure it is authorized. I wasn't even aware that you could download books without authorizing. Nevertheless it is a major bug and another big reason to stay away from DRM.

Unfortunately major e-book sellers in my country sell books with adobe DRM. I strip the DRM as soon as the download finishes.

Well i wasn't aware that stripping DRM from books make you lose some of the content, does it?
reprep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 07:39 AM   #13
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Well i wasn't aware that stripping DRM from books make you lose some of the content, does it?
In my experience, removing the drm doesn't touch/alter the content in any way (with maybe the exception of topaz books—and even then, there are ways to preserve the original formatting).

Last edited by DiapDealer; 12-19-2011 at 07:45 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 07:42 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
What are you talking about? DRM removal has no impact whatsoever on the "quality" of a book, nor does it affect pictures.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 07:57 AM   #15
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSFReader View Post
Yes, it's so sad to see "uneducated" people getting bitten by this infection whereas we all know a cure exists... So either go DRM abstinent, or use Alf's condoms and don't let DRMs intrude your personal library ^^
Well, i consider myself educated, but I still got slapped in the face by that one, as I had forgotten I hadn't authorized ade. I only realized something was wrong when inept refused to de-drm.
And then I authorize ADE, naively believing that it would re-authorize the book properly then. Fail !

Last edited by EowynCarter; 12-19-2011 at 07:59 AM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote