Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-16-2019, 05:51 PM   #1
HogDrvr
Connoisseur
HogDrvr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
32gb Storage - Why

For those of you with 32gb Kindles; what you use all that storage for? I have thousands of books in my library and all told, it's only about 7gb.

Also, doesn't having that many books slow it down?
HogDrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 06:24 PM   #2
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Manga is very popular, and takes up more space than regular books.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2019, 06:27 PM   #3
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
Yes it slows it down. I mostly notice it when calibre is updating metadata and whatnot on the ereader. Also after a book is added and the ereader updates its database.

My impression is that the 32gb is useful for those who read comics on them. The Oasis also lets you listen to audio books; could be helpful in that case as well.

The difference in size between kindle ebooks and epub ebooks is significant because epubs are compressed with zip while kindle ebooks are not. So it might be more helpful with kindle ebooks.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 08:18 PM   #4
Bookstooge
Guru
Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 1st Gen
Secret spy stuff. I can stuff the kindle's memory chock full of state or company secrets and get through security at the airport without a hassle. No one looks twice at an ereader any more...
Bookstooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 09:08 PM   #5
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogDrvr View Post
For those of you with 32gb Kindles; what you use all that storage for? I have thousands of books in my library and all told, it's only about 7gb.

It doesn't have to be a lot of books. It is more of a future proofing thing. Hopefully the 32gb will be enough until the device dies, even though I don't plan to read manga or listen to audiobooks or even fill it up with books, just because they fit. Who is to say that a next FW update includes new features that require more room? There could be an option for a full dictionary, not the abbreviated versions we have now (the complete OED used to barely fit on a CD, not sure if it is bigger nowadays). How about an encyclopedia with pictures, or an offline snapshot of relevant Wikipedia articles? As of right now the english text only wikipedia is 16gb, with pictures in 2015 it was over 50gb (could not find a current size with pictures). (See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipe...e_of_Wikipedia)
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2019, 10:53 PM   #6
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Manga and Audible audiobooks. Lots of us use Whispersync which allows switching between ebooks and audiobooks (using a bluetooth device).
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 12:51 AM   #7
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpynose View Post
The difference in size between kindle ebooks and epub ebooks is significant because epubs are compressed with zip while kindle ebooks are not. So it might be more helpful with kindle ebooks.
Really? I just tried zipping an azw3 file and it reduced the size by ~15%. Since it's mostly text and a few images I'd expect a bigger reduction if the original wasn't at least partly compressed.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 01:16 AM   #8
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Really? I just tried zipping an azw3 file and it reduced the size by ~15%. Since it's mostly text and a few images I'd expect a bigger reduction if the original wasn't at least partly compressed.
It is compressed, just not as efficiently as zip when it comes to file size. If it means better performance, then I take the slightly bigger azw3 over an epub any day. The only advantage of a drm-free epub is that you can simply open it with any unzip tool and then edit it. The azw3 does not look like a epub file internally. It looks like it when you open it with calibre, but all those "files" have to be generated. In an epub the files are physically there in the zip container.
Old 08-17-2019, 01:55 AM   #9
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Last I know, Calibre uses DOC (PalmDOC) compression for MOBI/AZW3. huffdic results in smaller files but it takes much, much longer than PalmDOC to create.

Code:
Usage : kindlegen [filename.opf/.htm/.html/.epub/.zip or directory] [-c0 or -c1 or c2] [-verbose] [-western] [-o <file name>] 
Note: 
   zip formats are supported for XMDF and FB2 sources
   directory formats are supported for XMDF sources
Options: 
   -c0: no compression 
   -c1: standard DOC compression 
   -c2: Kindle huffdic compression
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 10:49 AM   #10
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogDrvr View Post

While your library, consisting of thousands of books, might only be "about 7GB" in size, you more than likely would not be able to fit your entire library on a 8GB Kindle. The operating system and other system files take up approximately 1.5GB, perhaps a little more.

I have a 32BG Kindle because I chose to give myself room to grow my library. YMMV.

Last edited by 93terp; 08-17-2019 at 11:42 AM. Reason: typo
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 11:02 AM   #11
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookstooge View Post
Secret spy stuff.
Very true. A good storage location for steganography/cryptography.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 11:57 AM   #12
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Manga as mentioned and some just want 32gb. I personally would never use it. Probably not even 8.....at my point in life I don't even know how many books are left in me. Maybe 200 tops....lol

Last edited by Tony1988; 08-18-2019 at 10:34 AM.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 06:03 PM   #13
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Last I know, Calibre uses DOC (PalmDOC) compression for MOBI/AZW3. huffdic results in smaller files but it takes much, much longer than PalmDOC to create.
Argh, I didn't know about the kindlegen -c flags. The last MOBI book I uploaded with no -c flags is 2,173 kb, with -c2 it's 1,480 kb, and the epub is 726 kb. The MOBIs I created are dual MOBIs but without the source (-dont_append_source flag used) so that makes it difficult to compare them since dual MOBI contains both the AZW3 and the old MOBI7.

I'm guessing that Project Gutenberg makes their kindle books without compression; the difference in sizes is noticeable there. Presumably theirs are dual MOBI since they don't offer AZW3 downloads.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 06:31 PM   #14
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
I'm guessing that Project Gutenberg makes their kindle books without compression; the difference in sizes is noticeable there. Presumably theirs are dual MOBI since they don't offer AZW3 downloads.
I would think for compatibility it would be old mobi, not dual.
Old 08-17-2019, 07:02 PM   #15
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
I would think for compatibility it would be old mobi, not dual.
There's no need to guess or think
Code:
kindleunpack -s
reveals all.

My turn to be too lazy to check. I predict that even if newer files are dual MOBI, those that predate KF8 have not been updated to dual MOBI.
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote