Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Boyue

Notices

Old 02-19-2019, 03:41 AM   #271
Intet
Intet began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by foro.carlos View Post
Very good news (if true). That could mean to open the note taking experience out of their apps only. !!!
Oh, really? Show me a couple of applications that use Onyx's SDK (which has been around for a long time) on the Boox devices for instance.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for SDKs, but you seem way too excited and I think you're in for a disappointment. Android e-readers are simply a niche market and I doubt this will have a noticeable impact.

Last edited by Intet; 02-19-2019 at 03:45 AM.
Intet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 11:49 AM   #272
pantale
pantale began at the beginning.

Device: Likebook Mimas
Hi,

Has anybody tested if Myscript nebo works on the mimas device?
pantale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 05:05 PM   #273
ang3lfire
ang3lfire began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantale View Post
Hi,

Has anybody tested if Myscript nebo works on the mimas device?
One of the first things I tried when I received my Mimas! Unfortunately the lag makes it unusable. The inbuilt note-taking is pretty good and responsive though but it lacks basic drawing tools like the ability to draw a straight line. Also, if you have a lot of notes, there appears to be no way to organise them currently. I'm hoping that these issues get addressed by an upgrade to firmware at some point but for me the device is still useful as is. Fyi. I use it for bullet journaling and it works well for this.
ang3lfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 05:04 AM   #274
simple
simple began at the beginning.

Device: PRS650
Does anybody know how I can encrypt my Mimas? The option doesn't appear under 'Security' in the Android settings. Thanks!
simple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 05:38 AM   #275
ang3lfire
ang3lfire began at the beginning.

Quick tip for anyone using the Kindle app on their Mimas (apologies for those of you who have already worked this out). Select the option in Kindle settimgs to use volume buttons to turn pages. This will make the Mimas page turn buttons function when reading a book using the Kindle app.
ang3lfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 12:57 PM   #276
lvlrdka22
lvlrdka22 began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Note
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intet View Post
Oh, really? Show me a couple of applications that use Onyx's SDK (which has been around for a long time) on the Boox devices for instance.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for SDKs, but you seem way too excited and I think you're in for a disappointment. Android e-readers are simply a niche market and I doubt this will have a noticeable impact.
No. It's also for hobbyists who like to mess around to be able to do stuff like this:
https://youtu.be/3eHHH9-QHNk

Done strictly with smali.
lvlrdka22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 03:08 PM   #277
Intet
Intet began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvlrdka22 View Post
No. It's also for hobbyists who like to mess around to be able to do stuff like this:

Did you implement note exporting? If so, do you render the view into a bitmap or do you draw all the points onto one yourself?

Asking because I am not an Android developer and no matter what I try, I always get an empty bitmap from a view that's been scribbled on.

Edit: Never mind, I drew them myself and it seems to work great.

Last edited by Intet; 02-25-2019 at 06:11 AM.
Intet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 09:38 PM   #278
sogaiu
Addict
sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.

Quote:

Nice! The lag seems completely tolerable.
sogaiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 11:56 AM   #279
parkher
Evangelist
parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BL Alita/Mimas/Ares, OB Note2/Note, KA One/H2O/HD, S PRS T2/T1, PB 902
So, Mimas has frontlight without any glass layer on top, like Onyx Boox Note Plus or Pro?
I don't want any glass, the flexible Mobius gives me peace of mind that I will not break it.

I have OB Note and I like everything about it except it has no card and no buttons.
Mimas seems to be the answer.
But it gives something and then takes something away:
• its default software probably is nowhere as good as OB Neo Reader 2.
Solution: to install alternatives.
• the frontlight. I would actually pay more for a model without it.
Hopefully, the loss of contrast and introduced optical distortions by the frontlight layer are not very noticeable.

• most importantly - it is white!!!
I cannot believe they do not offer a black version.
When the frame is white, the screen subjectively looks unpleasantly dark. That is just the law of nature.
White is absolutely unacceptable, especially for 10.3". For a tiny 5" or 6" white may be justified as an extension of margins so the eyes are not tired from the contrast of the frame next to the text. But with 10.3" there is a lot of space for really wide margins.
And if I read pdfs, they are all smaller than 10.3" anyway. Never A4 or A5.

So how to solve this problem with white frame?
Anybody tried to repaint it or something? It might be possible.
If not painting, perhaps covering the frame with some dark adhesive tape?
That is a no-risk solution anyway.
Or perhaps a special cover available, where it covers the frame even when it is open.

Last edited by parkher; 03-05-2019 at 11:59 AM.
parkher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 02:04 PM   #280
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkher View Post
So, Mimas has frontlight without any glass layer on top, like Onyx Boox Note Plus or Pro?
I don't want any glass, the flexible Mobius gives me peace of mind that I will not break it.
It is certainly good to have the Mobius but it is usually not the top layer of glass that breaks. It is usually gorilla glass. What normally breaks is the substate that provides the TFT layer for the screen itself. https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/TFT

Dale

Last edited by DaleDe; 03-05-2019 at 04:09 PM.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 03:14 PM   #281
fgdas
Addict
fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 13inch
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkher View Post
Frontlight = glass. That's why Mimas, Note pro and plus are so heavy compared to Sony's DPT-CP1 which is only 240g with no glass.
fgdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 04:22 PM   #282
ChrisHistorian76
Enthusiast
ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Nova Air & Kindle Oasis
I've had my Mimas for several weeks and like it a lot better than the Onyx Boox device I used to own. However, like with the Onyx Boox device and my iPad, the lack of a tactile feel still feels weird.

There's a matte screen protector from a company called Paperlike which is designed for writing/drawing on the iPad. I've read good things about the tactile feel it provides.

Would a Paperlike screen protector work on the Mimas without introducing more lag or blocking the device from sensing the stylus entirely?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
ChrisHistorian76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 10:05 AM   #283
foro.carlos
foro.carlos doesn't litterforo.carlos doesn't litter

Device: likebook mimas
Quote:

Looking forward for the Boyue SDK to try this things in the Mimas.
In the meantime we were able to integrate the boyue API (with some decompiling and investigation) in the Koreader app to refresh the screen correctly, thanks to the kind devs of Koreader.
https://github.com/koreader/koreader/issues/4595

I think the next step is doing the same in Coolreader and ALReader . Since there's code for basic support in koreader there should be less complicated for them (or someone here) to port the driver.
https://github.com/buggins/coolreader/issues/79

I actually found the necessary classes and api calls to use the wacom stylus in the native notes app but since there's no documentation or SDK available and no previous work done, i guess is way more difficult to port that to a notetaking app like that.

In case someone wants to tinker with Coolreader, I forked it and begin to port the driver (but until now i just added the device as EINK but no driver whatsoever)

The Koreader driver commit

The fork i'm tinkering with

All the magic is inside BoyueLauncher.apk in Classes.dex which is fairly easy to decompile with jd-gui
foro.carlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 10:22 AM   #284
parkher
Evangelist
parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BL Alita/Mimas/Ares, OB Note2/Note, KA One/H2O/HD, S PRS T2/T1, PB 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by fgdas View Post
Frontlight = glass. That's why Mimas, Note pro and plus are so heavy compared to Sony's DPT-CP1 which is only 240g with no glass.
Mimas also is covered with glass? Are you sure? I never saw it mentioned anywhere. I thought that the light distributing layer was also flexible.
I always hated frontlight - the stupidity of the idea. The use of e-ink so that the page would not glow and then adding the light so that it would.
Plus, reduced contrast and added optical distortions. But adding unnecessary glass makes me really mad.
Question - is it possible then to tear that glass away? To smash it perhaps and to remove it piece-by-piece?
And it is white - another insult. I am sure, the screen is nowhere as white as the frame. So repainting is a must.
Smashing and repainting.

I have OB Note - if only it had a card slot and the buttons. Other than that - I love it. Including its Neo 2 reader. I found nothing better for pdfs, and it is also pretty good for epubs and fb2s - although I use Cool Reader too.
It seems that it is out of production now? So no Onyx Boox without the glass either. But it is still possible to get it, although not in ereader.store where I bought mine.

My perfect e-reader would be a black Mimas without frontlight and without glass but with Onyx Boox Neo 2 reader software - not sure if it can be found separately.

Last edited by parkher; 03-08-2019 at 10:24 AM.
parkher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 03:18 PM   #285
dpenev
dpenev is kind to children and small, furry animalsdpenev is kind to children and small, furry animalsdpenev is kind to children and small, furry animalsdpenev is kind to children and small, furry animalsdpenev is kind to children and small, furry animalsdpenev is kind to children and small, furry animalsdpenev is kind to children and small, furry animalsdpenev is kind to children and small, furry animalsdpenev is kind to children and small, furry animalsdpenev is kind to children and small, furry animalsdpenev is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Likebook Muses
Hi Foro,

I have Likebook Muses and with my device I see

adb shell getprop ro.board.platform
rk3368

So I think Muses is like Mimas but smaller screen.
I have few questions.
Why do you bother with koreader compared with the Boyuo build in one?
I have installed the koreader from the boyuo store but it looks much less attractive compared to the built in reader in my opinion. The fonts are fussy the background is gray. Probably I just have to adjust the settings?
Once again what are the koredaer benefits?

Best regards
Dimitar
dpenev is offline   Reply With Quote