Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-11-2013, 12:06 PM   #1
SampleAndy
Addict
SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KFire HD, KFire, KTD 3g, KT, K4B, K4S, K3g, K3g SO, K2, K1
Unhappy How do I show my desired cover?

I posted this in the Fire subforum a couple weeks ago and got a lot of reads, but no responses. Maybe I could get some help here?

I have a little problem that's just irritating the heck out of me... Although the cover in calibre shows the desired cover, and calibre shows that cover on the book, and my Paperwhite shows the correct cover, on my Kindle Fire, it shows the current cover from Amazon.

four similar and one odd covers

Is there a way to show the desired cover instead of the orange one? I've tried deleting the book, turning off the wireless and pushing the book to the Fire again, but I still get the same results. Is the Amazon cover being cached somewhere?

Thanks,
Andy
SampleAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 12:12 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Remove the asin from the mobi file metadata then amaon wont be able to download a cover for it. One way to acheive that is to do a mobi to mobi conversion in calibre. But be aware of this: http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....droid-ipad-etc
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2013, 02:05 PM   #3
SampleAndy
Addict
SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Remove the asin from the mobi file metadata then amaon wont be able to download a cover for it. ...
kovid, thanks for answering, but... I'd like to understand.

If wifi is off, how is Amazon downloading the cover? Would it download a cover later, after the book was already in place? The only time I turn wifi on is to download an app or watch a movie.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:09 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you are getting a cover that is not in the book, then it has to come from somewhere else, it cannot magically appear out of thin air

Which means it is being downloaded.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:40 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
it cannot magically appear out of thin air
Only the printers of currencies can do that - Bernanke, Draghi, King all went to MIT
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2013, 11:58 PM   #6
SampleAndy
Addict

Quote:
If you are getting a cover that is not in the book, then it has to come from somewhere else, it cannot magically appear out of thin air

Which means it is being downloaded.

Sounds logical, but the air here's been a little on the thick side lately. I'll give it one more try tomorrow, carefully.

Thanks.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:41 PM   #7
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
Not sure it's relevant, but you might be encountering something similar...

Within Window's Music/Media Center, any newly added music will get flagged to download metadata (artist, album, song name, etc). If an internet connection is not immediately available, the flag remains and any metadata will download at a later opportunity without further user effort.

Perhaps the Kindle does something similar. If it finds an asin within the ebook metadata it flags the download process and keeps it pending until fulfilled. Kindle might internally prefer these "official" covers over other possibilities - ignoring other cover images and settings.

Which is probably why removing the asin is required to get around the problem.
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:32 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Indeed a little while ago amazon started changing all its firmware to use the "official" covers for books with something in their ASIN fields. The stupid thing is that even if that something is not a valid asin and the software cannot find an official cover, it then refuses to fallback to the cover in the book. Sometimes, I think Amazon must employ monkeys to write their software.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:03 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
One other solution... keep the wifi and/or 3g off and just side load via Calibre.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:27 PM   #10
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
Unfortunately, monkeys are endemic to more than just the software sector of big business.
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote