Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 01-18-2009, 11:50 PM   #1
felix23
felix23 began at the beginning.

Device: many
Unhappy help! can't strip DRM from free files

I really, really, really would like to use any and all of the following on my iphone using stanza:

http://lds.org/handheld/newarchive/0...4-81-2,00.html

However, those free files are all encrypted, and I for the life of me (and 3 hours of working with mobidedrm) can't strip the DRM.

Any help? Any ideas?
felix23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 12:06 AM   #2
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
This thread may just help a little:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33831
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2009, 12:32 AM   #3
felix23

Unfortunately, these files I am interested in do have DRM, unlike those spoken of in the link in your response.

For example, when I open them (without any trouble or passwords) in Mobipocket Reader on my PC, the properties section tells me that they are encrypted.

Similarly, when I try to run mobihuff on them, it also tells me that they are encrypted.

However, when I try to decrypt them with mobidedrm, i get this error message:

Error: no key found. maybe the PID is incorrect

Any ideas?
Old 01-19-2009, 12:32 AM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The file I tried from LDS did not seem to be encrypted at all, although its properties said "content encryption".

For decoding content encrypted files, see Mobipocket Decoder Tool #176.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 05:33 PM   #5
felix23

Awesome, worked after first try.

This, of course, makes me kick myself for not just asking in the forums for help before spending hours working on it myself. (Though, of course, this violates the first rule of etiquette in regards to asking for help in forums.)

Apparently, the files I was trying to open are encrypted. However, from the lines of code I modified, it appears that the only difference between their encryption and that of files keyed to a PID is that the PID shifts the standard encryption key by some amount. Trying to decrypt using any specific PID was unsuccessful just the same as trying to decrypt a PID-keyed file with the wrong PID.

Again, much thanks for solving this puzzle for me.
Advert
Old 02-28-2009, 12:25 AM   #6
cocoricks
cocoricks began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix23 View Post
Awesome, worked after first try.

This, of course, makes me kick myself for not just asking in the forums for help before spending hours working on it myself. (Though, of course, this violates the first rule of etiquette in regards to asking for help in forums.)

Apparently, the files I was trying to open are encrypted. However, from the lines of code I modified, it appears that the only difference between their encryption and that of files keyed to a PID is that the PID shifts the standard encryption key by some amount. Trying to decrypt using any specific PID was unsuccessful just the same as trying to decrypt a PID-keyed file with the wrong PID.

Again, much thanks for solving this puzzle for me.
I'm trying to do the same thing, but without success. I modified the script, but it still requires that I enter a PID for it to run. What do I enter for the PID? Or do I need to do something to change the required inputs?

Thanks!
cocoricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 06:02 PM   #7
ChelC
Enthusiast
ChelC began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 700
Hey Felix, I'm trying to get the same info on my Sony. If you happen back this way, maybe you can help me??? I haven't been able to figure it out yet. I e-mailed the church but haven't heard anything. If you still visit the boards, could you let me in on it?
ChelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 01:42 AM   #8
felix23

i'll check in later, i just got an email with your posts, but i'm about to head to bed.

but i can work something out.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:05 PM   #9
felix23

a script

Sorry for the delay.

<link removed by moderator>

This should work for files that are encrypted w/o a PID. A valid PID must be entered, but the program does nothing with it as I remember. Let me know if there are any problems.

Last edited by Elsi; 03-12-2009 at 03:53 PM.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:07 PM   #10
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix23 View Post
I really, really, really would like to use any and all of the following on my iphone using stanza:

http://lds.org/handheld/newarchive/0...4-81-2,00.html

However, those free files are all encrypted, and I for the life of me (and 3 hours of working with mobidedrm) can't strip the DRM.

Any help? Any ideas?
What makes you think they are DRM encrypted?

I downloaded one of the books:

... unzipped it:

... and immediately opened the book in Mobipocket Reader
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 06:08 PM   #11
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
There's a form of Mobipocket DRM that doesn't require a device with a specific PID, only genuine Mobipocket reader software that knows how to do the decoding.

These files will work on any Mobipocket device, but can't be converted to other formats without removing the PID-less DRM scheme.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
What makes you think they are DRM encrypted?

I downloaded one of the books:

... unzipped it:

... and immediately opened the book in Mobipocket Reader
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 02:00 AM   #12
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
There's a form of Mobipocket DRM that doesn't require a device with a specific PID, only genuine Mobipocket reader software that knows how to do the decoding.

These files will work on any Mobipocket device, but can't be converted to other formats without removing the PID-less DRM scheme.
Ah ha! An interesting approach. Is there a similar kind of lock for PDF files that will only open in Adobe software?
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 07:40 PM   #13
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
Another frustrating DRM encounter..
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote