Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-24-2014, 11:30 AM   #1
kobojojo
kobojojo began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo touch
Unhappy Kobo touch Android Installation - I bricked my device :-(

Hello,
I wanted to install Android from SD Card on my kobo touch.
I followed the instructions on Angors blog, but now the screen only shows restarting. Also pressing the reset button does not change anything.
I've done a backup before but the kobo does not connect to the computer anymore.
Has anyone an idea how to bring my kobo back to life?
kobojojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 11:48 AM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobojojo View Post
Hello,
I wanted to install Android from SD Card on my kobo touch.
I followed the instructions on Angors blog, but now the screen only shows restarting. Also pressing the reset button does not change anything.
I've done a backup before but the kobo does not connect to the computer anymore.
Has anyone an idea how to bring my kobo back to life?
If your Touch is a model with an internal uSD card, you can open it up, remove the card and rewrite card with the backup image.

Have you already tried a factory reset (hold the power button for 20 seconds, release the power button, press and hold the home button, hold the power button for a few seconds until the LED turns on, wait for the LED to start flashing rapidly and then release the home button)?

Good luck!
David

Last edited by DNSB; 08-24-2014 at 11:55 AM.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2014, 02:02 PM   #3
kobojojo

Hi,
thank you very much for your help.
unfortunately there is no internal sd card in it that can be removed inside my device.
And the factory reset doesn't work as well :-(
do you have another idea?

Sent from my CUBOT X6 using Forum Fiend v1.2.9.
Old 08-24-2014, 02:04 PM   #4
kobojojo

[Image violates guidelines for size - MODERATOR]

that's what it looks like inside my kobo by the way..

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 08-24-2014 at 03:31 PM.
Old 08-24-2014, 02:35 PM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
The Android installation is NOT intended at all for either the original Kobo Touch model (no internal SD card) OR the Kobo Aura (again no internal SD card).

Sorry to say but you are SOL here.

Also while you might have backed up the visible space on the drive via your PC and a USB connection, this only backs up a single partition of the internal storage, and not the partitions where the boot loader and actual O/S reside.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2014, 03:00 PM   #6
kobojojo

so you think there is no possibility to create a connection between the kobo and my computer anymore?

Old 08-24-2014, 03:09 PM   #7
OverByter
OverByter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverByter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverByter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverByter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverByter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverByter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverByter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverByter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverByter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverByter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverByter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I don't see how considering you don't have a working backup and even if you did you don't have anyway of pushing it to the device.
OB
OverByter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 03:11 PM   #8
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
so you think there is no possibility to create a connection between the kobo and my computer anymore?

Correct. In order for the connection to work, the Kobo needs to boot it's internal O/S; not until that IS running can the USB connection to a PC work.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 01:41 PM   #9
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
Quote:
Hi,
thank you very much for your help.
unfortunately there is no internal sd card in it that can be removed inside my device.
And the factory reset doesn't work as well :-(
do you have another idea?

You can attach a serial-to-usb to unpopulated pins on your touch's mainboard (more info > http://forum.xcsoar.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1287) and look for messages from uboot. On my kobo mini is impossible to stop the autoboot procedure, so I can't change anything on uboot environment (but the commands to do that are present on the binary)...

Is your last option here, I'm sorry
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote