Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-06-2014, 02:01 PM   #46
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
No. I've been in German Media Markt a few days ago. They sell key cards (no media) with numerous license versions there. I've found the one I've bought online as well: 5 PCs/Macs, € 10 per month or € 100 per year.
Right.

But it looks like the stand alone Home Version is only 1 computer.
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:50 AM   #47
Alfy
Liseur de Bonne Aventure
Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by License terms (Office 365 consumer)
Only one person at a time may use the software on each licensed computer or licensed device.
So me and my 200 colleagues cannot share a keyboard and work on the same copy of Word for iPad at the same time? Is it me or are license terms and EULAs just completely degenerating to cover the most unlikely scenarios? "This copy of the software may not be used by penguins unless licensed by Microsoft"...
Alfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2014, 12:45 PM   #48
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfy View Post
So me and my 200 colleagues cannot share a keyboard and work on the same copy of Word for iPad at the same time? Is it me or are license terms and EULAs just completely degenerating to cover the most unlikely scenarios? "This copy of the software may not be used by penguins unless licensed by Microsoft"...
That phrase is to prevent installing it on a Virtual Machine image that is shared on a network.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:40 AM   #49
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
$100/y seems pretty reasonable to me for up to 5 computers AND 5 mobile devices. $20 per year if you install on all 5 PCs you're allowed to. A standalone copy of Office costs several hundred $, and that's for only one PC.
and you can share it with 4 other people. each person gets multiple installs plus the tablet installs plus the phones plus the 20gb skydrive plus the skype world minutes.

Last edited by Dulin's Books; 04-08-2014 at 09:46 AM.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:07 AM   #50
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
WOW! 12 million downloads the first week!
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2014, 08:19 AM   #51
rkw
Old & Busted Hotness
rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0,Asus TF700T, K1-2-3-Fire
I actually am one who finds good value in Adobe's subscription option as well as Office 365. I have to have Lightroom & Photoshop for earning money anyway. At work we use Office (we won't mention I think they are running the whole company on 2-3 licenses...meh...I'm not in the IT consulting biz anymore so I could care less.) I've been buried in the MS ecosystem for more, what?, 3-decades now? Yikes....

For Adobe I've learned to like Dreamweaver even though Adobe bloats all their apps, always has and always will. I find I can have fun with some of the other apps in the whole package...of course I signed up for the CC package at $29.95/mo not the $49.99/mo price. Could have grabbed LR & PC for just $9.95/mo but I splurged on the rest...the real bonus is it is sooooo nice to finally have a full copy of Acrobat Pro to edit PDF's. If they don't let me renew at the $29.99/mo price I will rethink things but I sense they have discovered far fewer takers at the higher price.

I upgrade with every new version because for the apps I use most, LR & PS, the changes are generally significant. I will say though at this point PS is about ad powerful as I can envision needing, ever. Thing is there are some functions in the cloud version (aka PS CC) which are not in PS6.x and they matter as well.

Office for $9.95/mo is a no brainer for me. But only because it's just convenient. I was still using Office 2003 Pro and doing just fine. In fact I really don't need more than it offers. But what the heck, we have to spend our cash somewhere, right? Of course I'd rather be buying a new lens every month instead.

My quandry is having to use the web version of Office on my Android tablets or whatever office suite for Android I have (none are great really but they are very useable and heck, for the price you can't complain). but that gets me to the point...if you haven't noticed when it comes to non-trivial apps we are slowly seeing the end to the inexpensive app on Android and iOS as well. I don't use any iOS devices but look in the Play Store and there are fewer and fewer $0.99 apps that are worth the price. We are seeing more and more $4.99+ apps. That's fine but it sure adds up faster though it solves the App Aquisition Syndrome nicely.

Short comment made long, I like that MS is trying to port to other OS's. I think they will lose out because they waited way too long. Still they have maybe the largest user base of any productivity suite going so they had some time. I think they were hoping the Surface Pro devices were going to sell better negating the need for really functional Office apps under iOS or Android. But Surface Pro/full Win8.x tablet like devices just haven't been able to compete with the high quality and price point of both iOS tablets and Android (love my Samsung Note's for sure).

Anyway, software as a rental was in the works nearly 20yrs back but the infrastructure was lacking. Now it's there and companies are going to move to it. I think it's working because Adobe is moving along just fine and MS will do fine as well. As long as I find more value in the monthly rental I'll keep on, if not I'll buy a copy of whatever I need and call it a day.
rkw is offline   Reply With Quote