Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-02-2012, 01:14 AM   #76
DovGrobgeld
DovGrobgeld began at the beginning.

Device: android
Quote:
Originally Posted by oren View Post
Ok, so I managed to make EPUB files in /hebrew and it works great on ipads, iphones.
The problem is with Android - I tried FBReader and the letters are ok but the order of the words is LTR.
I looked around and found that it might be because i'm using SONY device and sipposibly it works well on other devices..
I looked a little more and found that an app called Moon+ Reader might resolve this issue.
Can't check it now but will tomorrow and will let you know. If anyone knows - would love to hear
Thanks
I'm sorry to disappoint you, but FBReaderJ, the Java version of FBReader that runs on Android, does not have any BiDirectional text support. This is in contrast to native FBReader that supports bidi for a long time. I tried to have a look at it myself a while back to see if I could port the Bidi support from FBReader to FBReaderJ, but I found that it wasn't trivial and I never finished the project. If there are any coders among you the two repos are available at:

https://github.com/geometer/FBReader
https://github.com/geometer/FBReaderJ

Regards,
Dov
DovGrobgeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:28 AM   #77
oren
oren began at the beginning.

Device: iphone
Hi Dov,
As I mentioned - BLIO app is working well with right alignment of text and letters.
Good luck
oren is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2012, 09:31 AM   #78
jont
JonT
jont began at the beginning.

Device: Android phone
Moon+ Reader works for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by oren View Post
Ok,
So Moon+ Reader doesn't work well with RTL language.
I'm puzzled by this, because I've been reading Hebrew epubs and html files just fine in Moon+ Reader for several weeks now. I'm using a Samsung phone running Android 2.3.5.
jont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:00 AM   #79
oren
oren began at the beginning.

Device: iphone
I'm using Sony Ericsson XPERIA...
oren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 10:01 PM   #80
dmiller
Enthusiast
dmiller began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
For the record, Moon+ Reader Arabic & Hebrew Special Edition displays Hebrew epubs just fine on a rooted Sony PRS-T1. https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/PRST...l_Reading_Apps
dmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2012, 08:18 AM   #81
carmelra
Zealot
carmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toys

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmiller View Post
For the record, Moon+ Reader Arabic & Hebrew Special Edition displays Hebrew epubs just fine on a rooted Sony PRS-T1. https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/PRST...l_Reading_Apps
That's sound interesting... Can you provide screen captures?

Thanks!
carmelra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 03:37 PM   #82
dmiller
Enthusiast
dmiller began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmelra View Post
That's sound interesting... Can you provide screen captures?

Thanks!
Screen captures attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0683.JPG
Views:	410
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	86341   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0686.JPG
Views:	444
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	86342   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0684.JPG
Views:	419
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	86343  
dmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 01:02 AM   #83
carmelra
Zealot
carmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmiller View Post
Screen captures attached.
Thanks! It looks pretty good!
Old 07-12-2012, 04:48 PM   #84
carmelra
Zealot

Just wanted to mention that it's possible to read Hebrew ePubs using Chrome browser with Readium (I tested Version 0.4.2). Attached are the screen captures. Looks very good!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chapter.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	89053   Click image for larger version

Name:	TOC.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	135.0 KB
ID:	89054  
Old 07-26-2012, 09:09 AM   #85
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic
Yar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: PocketBooks and Onyxes and anything E-Ink...
Did I write it in this or in other thread? I just don't remember... PocketBook is capable of supporting Hebrew right from the box with no additional hustle. They do even have choice menu language in Hebrew and Arabic as well.
Yar-PocketBooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:57 PM   #86
carmelra
Zealot

The following site claims Hebrew eBooks can be read properly on Kindle Touch devices:
http://kneidlach.info/

You are invited to test it yourself and share the results!
Old 08-10-2012, 12:20 PM   #87
jimad
Connoisseur
jimad is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmelra View Post
The following site claims Hebrew eBooks can be read properly on Kindle Touch devices:
http://kneidlach.info/

You are invited to test it yourself and share the results!
OK, well, I tried it for myself, and here is what I found:

As a "source file" I choose Project Gutenberg http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/18291 "Hunger".

I open the epub version in Kindle Previewer which compiles it to mobi -- looks good, RTL, using the Kindle Fire emulator in Kindle Previewer.

I open the mobi version from PG in Kindle Previewer -- looks bad, LTR, using the Kindle Fire emulator.

I take the epub version and compile it explicitly using kindlegen into a mobi and I open the mobi version from PG in Kindle Previewer -- looks good, RTL, using the Kindle Fire emulator.

So I take this generated mobi which reads good RTL in the Kindle Previewer and I load it onto my actual Kindle Fire and read it there, and, surprise, it looks bad, LTR, when I actually try to read it on the Kindle Fire, not matter WHAT the Kindle Previewer claims should be happening!
jimad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 02:15 PM   #88
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You need a KF8 file, not a Mobi. Mobi doesn't support RTL, only KF8 does.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 05:18 PM   #89
carmelra
Zealot

I'm confused

I guess it's related to the file format (mobi or K8, what the emulator creates from epub by default?) and also to the firmware version that installed on the specific device.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:21 PM   #90
alexo
alexo began at the beginning.

Device: none
I tried searching for the Onyx M92/M92S/M92M/M92SM on Israeli sites and couldn't find any. Is looks like only the older M91S is sold. Am I missing anything?
alexo is offline   Reply With Quote