Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-02-2009, 11:53 AM   #16
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Update: Pre-order link @ Thalia.

http://www.thalia.de/shop/:/artikeld...524544787.html
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 12:08 PM   #17
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
From what I heard the German e-book offering for the Sony will also be somewhat limited. I heard the focus lied on "quality" rather than "quantity"...
But, at least to me, that seems inconsistent with selling them in epub format unless Sony intends to fix the Reader firmware soon to provide for full justification of epubs.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 01:04 PM   #18
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by pozo View Post
Pretty overpriced though, when compared to 210 euro in the US (without ship/handle to EU) and 255 euro at Waterstones UK (S&H to Netherlands included).
That was my first reaction too.

I suggest:
1. go to www.sonystyle.com
2. pick one PRS505 and add it to your shopping cart
3. add 2 years warranty
4. enter your ZIP code (10001 will do as an example)
5 press "calculate price
6. You get $379.29 (including tax, 2year warranty)

I am very impressed with the price, because according to google
299 Euros = 382.8994 U.S. dollars

I would like to ask our German speaking fellow mobilereaders to have a look and tell us if the 299Eur is with or without Value Added Tax (Mehrwertsteuer)
Thank you.
kacir is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 01:12 PM   #19
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

kacir, why do add a two years warranty option when comparing US and Germany prices?

At J&R, the PRS-505 is available for around $290 (including NYC taxes as in your example).

http://www.jr.com/sony/pe/SON_PRS505_SL_SC/
Old 02-02-2009, 01:27 PM   #20
philippd
Connoisseur
philippd doesn't litterphilippd doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
hi

299 € is the recommended retail price for Germany including V.A.T.
By the way the website is called libri.de

I'll try to find out if it will be possible to buy books from outside the EU but I think that it will be no problem.
philippd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 01:43 PM   #21
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
kacir, why do add a two years warranty option when comparing US and Germany prices?
Because in Germany - and in the whole European Union - you automatically get two years warranty with *anything* you buy (with the exception of perishable goods).
Old 02-02-2009, 02:33 PM   #22
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Quote:
Originally Posted by philippd View Post
...called libri.de
Oops.

Quote:
I'll try to find out if it will be possible to buy books from outside the EU but I think that it will be no problem.
That would be excellent!
Old 02-02-2009, 03:04 PM   #23
kaas
Muncher of ebooks
kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Pocketbook 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Das ist eine ausgezeichnete Neuigkeit!

(Or should that be "Die ist"....?)

"Das ist eine ausgezeichnete Neuigkeit!" is quite correct (Neuigkeit is a neutrum, that is why you wouldn't use "Die ist...".

You could also say: "Das sind ausgezeichnete Neuigkeiten", which is a bit more commonly used. Do you speak German as well as Latin?

cheers,

kaas
kaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 04:20 PM   #24
pozo
pozo began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505/SC (UK)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
That was my first reaction too.
6. You get $379.29 (including tax, 2year warranty)
Ah right, sorry I wasn't aware of the fact that there is no required warranty by US law.
But still, consumers are protected in a similar way as in the EU right? At least that's what I gather from this:
http://www.answers.com/topic/implied-warranty
The implied warranty (as I understand it) means that a product should, under normal operating conditions, do what it is supposed to do. If it ceases to do such a thing, the product was faulty and should be replaced at little or no cost to the consumerm, like in the EU.

Or do I misunderstand this (very possible)?

But still the reader costs only 255 Euros in the UK, with 'full EU benefits', so I still think it's a bit overpriced
pozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 04:49 PM   #25
podo
podo began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
sehr teuer?

€249 in Dublin, Ireland.
Why the price differential?
podo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 02:18 AM   #26
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaas View Post

"Das ist eine ausgezeichnete Neuigkeit!" is quite correct (Neuigkeit is a neutrum, that is why you wouldn't use "Die ist...".

You could also say: "Das sind ausgezeichnete Neuigkeiten", which is a bit more commonly used. Do you speak German as well as Latin?

cheers,

kaas
I used to speak quite good German, but it's a bit "rusty" these days, unfortunately.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 02:51 AM   #27
sianon
Addict
sianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony 500, Bebook, Kindle, Eco reader Drs and soon the Archos 9
If sony are arranging deals with local book stores, than all I can say is beware if it is rolled out in Australia, cos the only option would by Dymocks which is a pretty poor option judging by there current site.
sianon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 03:39 AM   #28
kacir
Wizard

Quote:
Ah right, sorry I wasn't aware of the fact that there is no required warranty by US law.
The warranty IS required. It is just MUCH shorter period warranty than two years mandated by EU. In some cases the warranty period is something like 6 weeks.
Quote:
But still, consumers are protected in a similar way as in the EU right? At least that's what I gather from this:
http://www.answers.com/topic/implied-warranty
The implied warranty (as I understand it) means that a product should, under normal operating conditions, do what it is supposed to do. If it ceases to do such a thing, the product was faulty and should be replaced at little or no cost to the consumerm, like in the EU.
Or do I misunderstand this (very possible)?
You did understand correctly.
The default warranty in the USA is just much shorter. That is why additional wrranty from sony for up to two years costs another 49 bucks.

In EU, for example, there is law that you can return (for a very limited time) ANYTHING purchased from an internet store for a full refund. Even without any reason. You just state that you do not like the goods.

Situation is even more complicated, because Credit Cards used to purchase the vast majority of goods offer various interesting aditional warranty enhancements.

Sonystyle, for example does not have one single warranty period for electronics, each device has individual warranty conditions.
This is what I found at the page describing PRS505
---- quote ----
Service and Warranty Information
* Limited Warranty : Labor- 90 days from the date of purchase Parts- 1 Year from the date of purchase. See actual warranty for details.
---- quote ----

I was unable to find "The actual warranty" anywhere on site. I suspect you have to unpack the shrink-wrapped box and read the booklet.
Today I will try to find the warranty information that came in my PRS500 box.

Last edited by kacir; 02-03-2009 at 03:41 AM.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:39 AM   #29
leandroide
Zealot
leandroide has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Papyre 6.1 (Hanlin V3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I would image that it would be rolled out in countries like Spain soon, but I suppose they need to arrange local deals with book stores, eBook distributers, etc, before they can do that. In every European country that it's so far been released in, it's being sold primarily via large chains of bookstores.
Yes... they say that in Spain October this year. The information is here. According to this newspaper, the readers is going to be sold in "La casa del libro", "El corte inglés" and FNAC.

L.
leandroide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:26 AM   #30
camilla
camilla began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PSR-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by podo View Post
€249 in Dublin, Ireland.
Why the price differential?
i'm quite surprised, too. i got mine from Xtra-Vision ( a video shop) in Limerick, Ireland for €249.

I normally expect to get ripped off in Ireland... Have you seen the latest ARGOS catalogue? they want €349!! Argos UK is taking only £224
camilla is offline   Reply With Quote