Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-13-2020, 07:25 AM   #1
greentree
greentree began at the beginning.

Device: none
What to do with this when using ADE?

I volunteer for a micropublisher that sells books online, including some ebooks. We use ADE and there is an issue that comes up that we'd like to try and resolve.

When one of our customers gets a new computer and transfers ADE to it, they get locked out of ADE altogether. They have to de-authorize it and re-authorize it. If all goes well, that works, and then they can use their ebooks again.

Sometimes, though, it doesn't work, and they have to uninstall ADE, and then re-install it, and download all their ebooks again, which can be a substantial undertaking.

Is this a known issue? Do people have suggestions on how to resolve/work with it?
greentree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 09:21 AM   #2
Sirtel
Wizard
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage/Oasis 2/Oasis 3/Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8''/Kobo Libra H2O
Sell the books without DRM.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2020, 09:33 AM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Nobody should be recommending that one ADE installation be copied to a new computer.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 11:10 AM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Both Kinds: epub based makes and Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Sell the books without DRM.
Yes. DRM is nothing to do with copyright or content protection, that's propaganda. It's about big corporations misusing content, PD and Copyright, to split markets, force repurchasing etc. Zero effect on real pirates.

What Sirtel says, ditch the DRM. I work for a "micropublisher".
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 12:01 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT(Fixed,New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A, Kobo Aura2
As been pointed out. Each device gets a unique ADE key. As long as the account is the same, the books are usable.
IIRC there is a limit on the number of devices that can be registered, which could be a PITA if you started back in 2010 like I did (my purchases have been mostly Amazon or DRM free)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2020, 02:28 PM   #6
Sirtel
Wizard
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
IIRC there is a limit on the number of devices that can be registered, which could be a PITA if you started back in 2010 like I did (my purchases have been mostly Amazon or DRM free)
Yeah. I have used ADE on 6 computers/tablets since 2011. 6 is the limit, I believe. Of course I didn't de-register before I reset my old devices to factory settings and sold them or gave away. So I would be majorly screwed if I depended on ADE for my ebooks and wanted to read them on a new PC in the future. Fortunately I'm not that stupid.
Old 02-13-2020, 02:47 PM   #7
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, GloHD, Aura One
Quote:
Yeah. I have used ADE on 6 computers/tablets since 2011. 6 is the limit, I believe. Of course I didn't de-register before I reset my old devices to factory settings and sold them or gave away. So I would be majorly screwed if I depended on ADE for my ebooks and wanted to read them on a new PC in the future. Fortunately I'm not that stupid.
Deregistering a device from ADE doesn’t free up a license. However, you can contact ADE and they will raise your limit.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 02:51 PM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Pretty sure unused machines fall off of the account list eventually. I've installed/registered ADE (to the same account) on more than 6 machines over the course of years, and I've never been shut down. Nor have I ever had to call them.
Old 02-13-2020, 03:06 PM   #9
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, GloHD, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Pretty sure unused machines fall off of the account list eventually. I've installed/registered ADE (to the same account) on more than 6 machines over the course of years, and I've never been shut down. Nor have I ever had to call them.
Fair enough. You’d hope so. But it’s still true that deregistering in itself doesn’t free up a license and that if you do bump up against the limit, a call will take care of it.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 03:12 PM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Fair enough. You’d hope so. But it’s still true that deregistering in itself doesn’t free up a license and that if you do bump up against the limit, a call will take care of it.
Oh sure. I wasn't suggesting anything otherwise. I was just commenting that I think it needs to be 6 active accounts before problems occur. Once you've limited out, contacting them is definitely your only recourse.
Old 02-13-2020, 03:21 PM   #11
Sirtel
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Oh sure. I wasn't suggesting anything otherwise. I was just commenting that I think it needs to be 6 active accounts before problems occur. Once you've limited out, contacting them is definitely your only recourse.
What makes an account active, though? I use ADE pretty seldom on my tablet, for example. Perhaps only a few times a year or even less, as I buy and download most of my ebooks on my laptop. How long must an account be unused on a device before it's considered inactive? A year? 5 years? If the former, good (for those who need it). If the latter, that can be problematic for people who swap their devices out every couple of years.
Old 02-13-2020, 03:37 PM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
What makes an account active, though? I use ADE pretty seldom on my tablet, for example. Perhaps only a few times a year or even less, as I buy and download most of my ebooks on my laptop. How long must an account be unused on a device before it's considered inactive? A year? 5 years? If the former, good (for those who need it). If the latter, that can be problematic for people who swap their devices out every couple of years.
Not sure, really. I just know that some of the machines that I've registered with the same AdobeID don't even exist any more. And I know that I've registered that same ID on at lease 10 different machines. Some real and a some virtual. I wasn't suggesting that people should wait them out as a viable alternative to calling them. I was only pointing out that I believe the limit of 6 machines is not a hard and fast rule (or at least not 6 for one lifetime).