Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 01-28-2020, 09:38 PM   #1
HLS
Groupie
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis,Paperwhite,Ook Glowlight Plus, KOBO Aura,H2O, Cara
iPad pro 11"

I just upgraded my 2017 iPad pro to the new 11" and just love it. The build, the feel, the speed is so much better. Reading on it is a joy. I was never into reading on a tablet but I find I enjoy it on this iPad. I can not put my finger on it but it is just better. If anyone is on the fence about upgrading I find it worth it.

It seems to be heavier and thicker but a very strong build. It has a feel and performance of a real PC than a tablet
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 09:19 AM   #2
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Lg 8.3, Ipad Pro & Mini 5
I loved mine until I got the new mini - it showed me how very slow the 11 is - downloads are a nightmare, even with very fast internet, it takes at least 4 downloads that don't update to get one that does. The mini, on the other hand, is lightening fast for everything. Now the 11 sits on the shelf, and I'm thinking about selling it. I'm sure you'll love your 11, just don't compare it to a mini. It is a great tablet, size wise, Procreate is wonderful on it, I could have just gotten a defective one somehow.
peaceridge is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2020, 10:16 AM   #3
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Hum, I've got both a new iPad Pro 12.9 in and iPad mini this year. As for as I can tell, the speeds are about the same. The iPad mini uses the A12 and the iPad Pro uses the A12x. Perhaps you are comparing your new iPad mini to an older iPad Pro. The current iPad Pro came out in Nov 2018 and the current iPad mini came out about 6 months later.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 10:37 AM   #4
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone XR, iPad Pro 9.7, Alexa Devices
@Peaceridge seems to be referring to WiFi download speeds rather than processor speeds. If so, then maybe a bad unit or perhaps a bad WiFi radio was used in the 11" Pro models. WiFi radios can vary model to model and unit to unit.
OtinG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 11:20 AM   #5
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
@Peaceridge seems to be referring to WiFi download speeds rather than processor speeds. If so, then maybe a bad unit or perhaps a bad WiFi radio was used in the 11" Pro models. WiFi radios can vary model to model and unit to unit.
Yes, a bad wifi radio is what I suspect. The 11" pro (purchased in Jan 2019) does run fine as long as I'm not downloading or transferring files from my PC.
Advert
Old 01-29-2020, 01:24 PM   #6
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceridge View Post
Yes, a bad wifi radio is what I suspect. The 11" pro (purchased in Jan 2019) does run fine as long as I'm not downloading or transferring files from my PC.
You might have a bad unit then, both the iPad Pro and the iPad mini return the same speed on speed test - both come in around 400 Mbps. They have the same wifi unit. The other possibility is that you might be connecting at 2.4 GHz with the iPad Pro and 5 Ghz with the iPad Mini. Some wifi routers actually report two different networks when you try to connect. I ran into that problem with my old netgear unit.
Old 01-29-2020, 05:26 PM   #7
peaceridge
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
You might have a bad unit then, both the iPad Pro and the iPad mini return the same speed on speed test - both come in around 400 Mbps. They have the same wifi unit. The other possibility is that you might be connecting at 2.4 GHz with the iPad Pro and 5 Ghz with the iPad Mini. Some wifi routers actually report two different networks when you try to connect. I ran into that problem with my old netgear unit.
How would I know which GHz I'm connecting to?
Old 01-29-2020, 05:53 PM   #8
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
How would I know which GHz I'm connecting to?
My internet provider named my 5G and 2G networks as seen in the attachment. You could open the settings for your router and name yours so you can distinguish between them.

Depending on the service you have, 5G can be faster than 2G. However, 5G doesn't have as much reach as 2G so you might have difficulty connecting to it from a distant part of the house.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wifi.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	296.4 KB
ID:	176743  

Last edited by OtinG; 01-29-2020 at 05:57 PM.
Old 01-30-2020, 08:56 AM   #9
peaceridge
Guru

Quote:
My internet provider named my 5G and 2G networks as seen in the attachment. You could open the settings for your router and name yours so you can distinguish between them.

Depending on the service you have, 5G can be faster than 2G. However, 5G doesn't have as much reach as 2G so you might have difficulty connecting to it from a distant part of the house.
Thanks, I found it and it says 5g. I really need to go by an Apple store and have them check it out.
Old 01-30-2020, 10:15 AM   #10
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Thanks, I found it and it says 5g. I really need to go by an Apple store and have them check it out.
Have you tried running side by side speed test? You can either download the speedtest app or use the website. The app is a bit more accurate, but as long as you use the same method for both, it will show if you have a major problem or a perceived problem.

https://www.speedtest.net/
Old 01-30-2020, 10:50 AM   #11
peaceridge
Guru

Ok, ran test
Windows 10 pc 19.4 Mbps download 12 upload
Mini 19.4 Mbps 12 upload
11" pro 17 Mbps 9.6 upload

So, the 11 is slower, but I don't see how that little difference would cause such a problem.
Old 01-30-2020, 11:39 AM   #12
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Quote:
Ok, ran test
Windows 10 pc 19.4 Mbps download 12 upload
Mini 19.4 Mbps 12 upload
11" pro 17 Mbps 9.6 upload

So, the 11 is slower, but I don't see how that little difference would cause such a problem.
Well you have what is called high speed internet, but by today's standards it is fairly slow. For example my Speedtest app on my iPhone XR just recorded 228 Mbps upload and 11.4 Mbps download speeds. With that kind of speed I benefit from using 5G. However, since your speeds are fairly slow, I’m not sure using 5G will help much, if any. 2G is often slower than 5G because it maxes out sooner, but in your case the 2G will not reach its maximum speed limit. So you might try 2G, test the speed, then if it is about the same as 5G you could use 2G whenever you have issues with distance to the router.

BTW, a lot depends on the server speed too. If you connect through/to a slow server then you will get slow downloads/uploads even if you have a blazingly fast service.

Last edited by OtinG; 01-30-2020 at 11:46 AM.
Old 01-30-2020, 11:41 AM   #13
peaceridge
Guru

Quote:
Well you have what is called high speed internet, but by today's standards it is fairly slow. For example my Speedtest app on my iPhone XR just recorded 228 Mbps upload and 11.4 Mbps download speeds. With that kind of speed I benefit from using 5G. However, since you speeds are fairly slow, I’m not sure using 5G will help much, if any. 2G is usually slower than 5G but in you case the 2G will not reach its limit. So might try 2G, test the speed, then if it is about the same as 5G you could use 2G whenever you have issues with distance to the router.
I'm camping and using my phone as a hotspot, so it is always slower than a house wifi. Thanks for answering.
Old 01-30-2020, 01:39 PM   #14
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I'm camping and using my phone as a hotspot, so it is always slower than a house wifi. Thanks for answering.
Those aren't bad speeds for camping. Yea, it's not much of a difference. My guess is that something else was going on when you noticed the issues. My suggestion is to try a side by side speed test comparison when you have fast internet and see if there is much of a difference.
Old 01-30-2020, 06:18 PM   #15
peaceridge
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Those aren't bad speeds for camping. Yea, it's not much of a difference. My guess is that something else was going on when you noticed the issues. My suggestion is to try a side by side speed test comparison when you have fast internet and see if there is much of a difference.
Will do, thanks.