Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 08-29-2019, 02:41 PM   #31
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceridge View Post
I found Hyphen to be slow.
Really?? In what way? I've not noticed this at all.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 03:13 PM   #32
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
Really?? In what way? I've not noticed this at all.
It was slow changing from one page to another. Come to think about it, it was on my ipad 11" which is much slower than the new mini. I'll give it another try.
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2019, 12:12 AM   #33
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceridge View Post
It was slow changing from one page to another. Come to think about it, it was on my ipad 11" which is much slower than the new mini. I'll give it another try.
Interesting, I use it on my ipad air2, a mini4, and an iphone 7 and SE and really havent seen this. Its also speedy on my iPad Pro 12.9" (2017 model).
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 08:48 AM   #34
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
Quote:
Interesting, I use it on my ipad air2, a mini4, and an iphone 7 and SE and really havent seen this. Its also speedy on my iPad Pro 12.9" (2017 model).
I just tried it on my mini and it is fast. Still slow on the ipad 11". I've got to find time to visit Apple as the 11" is slow downloading also.
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 12:45 AM   #35
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
+1 on iPhone 6 and iPad Air2
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2019, 05:07 AM   #36
pathscollide
pathscollide began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux (623)
I'm looking for a good *free* iPhone app (coming from Android, I'm used to having a lot of good free apps available). Kybook looks good, but frankly I don't want to pay.

I've downloaded the Pocketbook app as well, and it looks fine - but I can't figure out how to open a book I've downloaded from the Web. Does anyone know how to do this??

I generally look for apps that support fb2 because I read in Russian and a lot of Russian books are available in that format.

Thanks!
pathscollide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 08:14 AM   #37
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
My favorite app is now FBReader. It works on both Android and iOS - I believe it was an Android app first. I believe there is a free and for pay version.
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 03:15 PM   #38
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathscollide View Post
I'm looking for a good *free* iPhone app (coming from Android, I'm used to having a lot of good free apps available). Kybook looks good, but frankly I don't want to pay.

I've downloaded the Pocketbook app as well, and it looks fine - but I can't figure out how to open a book I've downloaded from the Web. Does anyone know how to do this??

I generally look for apps that support fb2 because I read in Russian and a lot of Russian books are available in that format.

Thanks!
You share it from the app that you used to download it.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 09:06 PM   #39
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
FBReader supports fb2 format
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 09:01 PM   #40
jemimahj
jemimahj began at the beginning.

Device: ipad 7th gen
What I'm looking for specifically is an app that has the ability to sort on Calibre's tags and also displays book summaries in the main list format. I use Moon+ Reader and Calibre Companion on Android which does this, but can't find an iOS app that does both. The Mac version of Calibre Companion doesn't have as many options as the Android does and the listing of summaries (comments in Calibre) is one of them. I've been using Marvin and Bookari and while the sorting on tags works well I have to open each book to read the summary. Don't mind paying for an app if it does what I want.
jemimahj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 11:28 PM   #41
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jemimahj View Post
What I'm looking for specifically is an app that has the ability to sort on Calibre's tags and also displays book summaries in the main list format.

I've been using Marvin and Bookari and while the sorting on tags works well I have to open each book to read the summary. Don't mind paying for an app if it does what I want.
I really like this option on Moon+ as well. I've tried a bunch of iOS reader apps and I've yet to see one with this feature. MapleRead and KyBook 3 do make viewing metadata and summary easier than Marvin, though

MapleRead
Tapping on the cover in list view shows the metadata.

KyBook 3
Defaults to viewing metadata when selecting a book.

Marvin 2/Classic
Long press on book shows metadata including summary (this is way more efficient than Marvin 3).

Marvin 3 and sxs
Long press on book shows most metadata at the bottom, Publisher's summary requires an extra tap (it's one of the menu options).
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 10:02 PM   #42
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I’d like to see one of these reading apps support iPadOS 13 multiple document feature. Also ability to use fonts purchased from App Store (for iOS 13 generally).

But uptake on these features, even for alternatives to Notes/Numbers/Pages/Keynote (which do support these) like Microsoft Word/Excel/PowerPoint/OneNote, Evernote - seems non-existent to date.

I haven’t purchased a reading app since Marvin (or maybe Bookari), but am ready to do so for the first reading app to have such support.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 10:31 PM   #43
mdclanahan
Connoisseur
mdclanahan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPad 6th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by jemimahj View Post
What I'm looking for specifically is an app that has the ability to sort on Calibre's tags...
I'm looking for this, too, now that Calibre Companion for iOS has been completely botched by the incompetent new developer. If anyone knows of an iOS app that will let me sort by Calibre tag, I'd be extremely grateful. Extra points if it will let me connect my phone to Calibre as a wireless device to send books directly to it.
mdclanahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 05:17 PM   #44
jemimahj
jemimahj began at the beginning.

Device: ipad 7th gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdclanahan View Post
If anyone knows of an iOS app that will let me sort by Calibre tag, I'd be extremely grateful. Extra points if it will let me connect my phone to Calibre as a wireless device to send books directly to it.
Several iOS apps will sort by calibre's tags including Bookari, Aldiko, Marvin, mapleread and Kybook. On some they use a different name than tags and you'll have to select subjects (Kybook) or categories (Aldiko)to see Calibres 'Tags' show up, but it filters them just like Calibre tags. I just couldn't find one that both sorted by tags and showed the summaries in a list form. Mapleread Marvin and Kybook let you connect wirelessly to Calibre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
I really like this option on Moon+ as well. I've tried a bunch of iOS reader apps and I've yet to see one with this feature. MapleRead and KyBook 3 do make viewing metadata and summary easier than Marvin, though

MapleRead
Tapping on the cover in list view shows the metadata.

KyBook 3
Defaults to viewing metadata when selecting a book.

Marvin 2/Classic
Long press on book shows metadata including summary (this is way more efficient than Marvin 3).

Marvin 3 and sxs
Long press on book shows most metadata at the bottom, Publisher's summary requires an extra tap (it's one of the menu options).
Thanks for this! Kybook seems like the best solution for me right now, just have to hope Calibre companion starts offering the same features as the Android version.
jemimahj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 08:42 AM   #45
bfollowell
Fanatic
bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Nook & Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5
I am switching from Android to an iPad Air 3 and came here looking for suggestions for an ebook reader app. I use Bookari on my Android tablet. I see a lot of strong recommendations on here for KyBook 3. I don't mind paying for a good app that I will use often, but I don't go in for the subscription model at all. What am I missing out on if I install KyBook 3 and don't subscribe? Or does it quit working after some set amount of time if I don't subscribe?
bfollowell is offline   Reply With Quote