Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-16-2018, 05:50 AM   #46
__Claire__
__Claire__ began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook Era
Unfortunately another PW4 that came straight with Fw5.10.0.2. But since a previously unreported model, I thought I’d still report it (and hope there’s something that can be done for it later on, otherwise it goes straight back to Amazon)

PW4 32Gb WiFi+LTE no SO from Amazon France.
Serial number is G000 T209 ... (!)

By the way, I am willing to test stuff on it, I pretty much went back to dead tree books because I was fed-up with not being able to have the cover of my books as screensavers without jailbreaking. However, my computer abilities are rusty, and I own only Macs.

And no, I can’t be absolute sure it didn’t download the update as I turned it on, because even though it wasn’t connected to WIFi, I couldn’t turn LTE off until I got to the homescreen, and that was a good 2 minutes from power-up
__Claire__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 07:42 AM   #47
Nausicaa
Connoisseur
Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Claire__ View Post
I pretty much went back to dead tree books because I was fed-up with not being able to have the cover of my books as screensavers without jailbreaking. However, my computer abilities are rusty, and I own only Macs.
Mac users arent all dumb! Seriously, that is the reason you went back? Get a kindle cover, the magnetic one. You wont complain again, you will never see the screensaver..
Nausicaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2018, 08:00 AM   #48
__Claire__
__Claire__ began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausicaa View Post
Mac users arent all dumb! Seriously, that is the reason you went back? Get a kindle cover, the magnetic one. You wont complain again, you will never see the screensaver..
I’ll refrain from commenting on the «*dumb*» issue.

I do have a kindle cover. Several ones, as a matter of fact. I still want to be able to see the cover of my book when I open it.

And before you ask why I don’t have a Kobo then, I happen to read in five different languages and the kindle dictionaries are way better. This is also the only reason why I still bother with the kindle, as you can’t always find exactly the foreign book you want, even in Paris.
__Claire__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 08:34 AM   #49
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
- - - - - -
And no, I can’t be absolute sure it didn’t download the update as I turned it on, because even though it wasn’t connected to WIFi, I couldn’t turn LTE off until I got to the homescreen, and that was a good 2 minutes from power-up
The answer for that problem, which I haven't previously posted, is make your new Kindle an Aluminum Foil hat.
Keep those Alien Monsters from channeling into your Kindle.

Seriously, wrap the top (bezel, front, edge and back) with Aluminum Foil.
Usually weakens the wireless signal enough that the device can't connect.

Note: Back in the case of the older 3G devices, Amazon did not ship (broadcast) updates over 3G (other than the 3G only devices).
I haven't checked for an Amazon statement concerning the newer devices that no longer use 3G.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 09:33 AM   #50
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Unfortunately another PW4 that came straight with Fw5.10.0.2. But since a previously unreported model, I thought I’d still report it (and hope there’s something that can be done for it later on, otherwise it goes straight back to Amazon)

I don't believe 5.10.0.2 was ever released as an OTA update.

Besides, given firmware updates are ~200MB and cellular upgrades are a one-time fee, I doubt Amazon has changed their policy regarding updates over cellular for now.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2018, 09:58 AM   #51
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
I don't believe 5.10.0.2 was ever released as an OTA update.
A good way to tell is at:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=200203720

Scroll way down, 5.10.1.2 is the only listed update.

Amazon, with very few exceptions, lists a source code bundle for each released firmware other than the original released with the new device.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd
Besides, given firmware updates are ~200MB and cellular upgrades are a one-time fee, I doubt Amazon has changed their policy regarding updates over cellular for now.
But Amazon had to negotiate a new contract with their wireless provider.
New contract, possibly new terms.

Their old contract, for 3G (GSM) suited the world ten years ago.
And since GSM is being discontinued by carriers world-wide ...
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 10:39 AM   #52
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
Quote:

PW4 32Gb WiFi+LTE no SO from Amazon France.
Serial number is G000 T209 ... (!)

By the way, I am willing to test stuff on it, I pretty much went back to dead tree books because I was fed-up with not being able to have the cover of my books as screensavers without jailbreaking. However, my computer abilities are rusty, and I own only Macs.

Someone who has been helping me with that version has had success with our tests.

I will pm you tonight to ask for your assistance
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 03:51 PM   #53
homeceo43
Connoisseur
homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.

Device: Meebook P78 Pro, Likebook P6
Silly me let my PW4 update to 5.10.1.2 OTA! It actually downloaded the update OTA pretty much immediately after I connected it. (it was 5.10.0.1, and the S/N is G000 PP07)

I have bought a second PW4 and will receive it sometime tomorrow afternoon. I don't know firmware yet of course, but the S/N is: G000 PP08. Edit: PW4 8GB w/SO.

I have nowhere the knowledge you guys on this forum have (a lot I read on this forum I don't understand), but I am willing to test software jailbreak on this brand new PW4.

I have jailbroken all of my Kindles (Voyage, Basic, PW3) a couple of years ago and use KOReader on them, most excellent software!

Last edited by homeceo43; 11-17-2018 at 02:24 PM.
homeceo43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 05:17 PM   #54
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
First rule of fight club: don't let it phone home ;p.
Old 11-16-2018, 07:51 PM   #55
Tinkergnome
Tinkergnome can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Tinkergnome can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Tinkergnome can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Tinkergnome can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Tinkergnome can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Tinkergnome can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Tinkergnome can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Tinkergnome can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Tinkergnome can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Tinkergnome can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Tinkergnome can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Chiming in as well... Was able to get airplane mode on before it updated. Device had all of my amazon books on when i powered it up..

Paperwhite US 32g Wi-Fi + LTE

G000 t109

firmware 5.10.0.2

Last edited by Tinkergnome; 11-17-2018 at 09:59 AM.
Tinkergnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 12:25 PM   #56
homeceo43
Connoisseur
homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.

Quote:
Yep, exactly! Lesson learned!
Old 11-17-2018, 02:23 PM   #57
homeceo43
Connoisseur

I just received my PW4 8G today. I bought it with special offers, but last night I went ahead and paid the extra $20 to remove them. I have not set up wifi yet.

The firmware is: 5.10.0.2 (3341680009).
S/N: G000 PP08
Old 11-17-2018, 05:26 PM   #58
fbmob
fbmob began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 4
Help with step 4 please!

Step 4 says that I can jailbreak using the K5 Factory JailBreak (Factory FW)

then it says to use installHTML instructions that are all about the main-htmlviewer.tar.gz file, and say nothing about the Factory FW file kindle-jb-factory-1.2-r15011.tar.xz

am a little confused.. can you pllease clarify?
fbmob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 05:36 PM   #59
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbmob View Post
Step 4 says that I can jailbreak using the K5 Factory JailBreak (Factory FW)

then it says to use installHTML instructions that are all about the main-htmlviewer.tar.gz file, and say nothing about the Factory FW file kindle-jb-factory-1.2-r15011.tar.xz

am a little confused.. can you pllease clarify?
You need to extract the contents of that kindle-jb-factory-1.2-r15011.tar.xz archive. On Windows, you can use 7-zip or PeaZip. Might need to extract twice (first to decompress the tar file, then the second time to extract the actual files).

It should contain a main-htmlviewer.tar.gz file which you copy to the root of the PW4 (e.g. D: )
Old 11-17-2018, 05:40 PM   #60
fbmob
fbmob began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 4
Quote:
You need to extract the contents of that kindle-jb-factory-1.2-r15011.tar.xz archive. On Windows, you can use 7-zip or PeaZip. Might need to extract twice (first to decompress the tar file, then the second time to extract the actual files).

It should contain a main-htmlviewer.tar.gz file which you copy to the root of the PW4 (e.g. D: )
Thank you!!! I didn't see the main-htmlviewer inside the other archive
fbmob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jailbreak, pw4