Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-12-2019, 01:22 PM   #2806
knc1
99.44/100% On Holiday
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Your welcome.
I was sure that my little reminder list would be enough to get you fixed (no pun intended) up.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 02:56 AM   #2807
Ruskie_it
Evangelist
Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle 4 NT
Lately I am having this weird problem with the SS hack: more often than not, it selects the wrong picture as a cover of the book I am reading. It happens with both KFX and AZW3 books (although slightly more frequently on KFX books, I reckon).

Calibre's metadata shows the correct cover, the cover image is also present in the book (it is shown as the first "page" of the ebook when I open it on the Kindle).
Calibre's book editor shows it marked as the cover in the original epub, as well as on the converted AZW3.
I can't say what happens in KFX since Calibre does not have an KFX editor, but I tried to convert the EPUB to KFX, and then the KFX to AZW3, and this final AZW3 still shows the correct picture marked as a cover, therefore I guess that the cover information is retained in the source KFX as well.
Yet, the screen saver hack keeps selecting another image as the cover.
In the case I have at hand right now, by the way, it is a "wrong image", meaning the SS hack should not even support it afaik, cause it's a small icon, like 60x60...

How can I debug this more in detail?
Ruskie_it is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2020, 11:48 AM   #2808
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, (PW) & PW2; Kobo H2O & Forma
@Ruskie_it: If it picks *another book's* cover, check your date/time, if it picks *another image* in the *correct* book, it's borked metadata.

Check the logs and check the output from KindleUnpack for KF8 files. Or poke at the metadata with... something for KFX files.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 02:54 PM   #2809
Ruskie_it
Evangelist
Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@Ruskie_it: If it picks *another book's* cover, check your date/time, if it picks *another image* in the *correct* book, it's borked metadata.

Check the logs and check the output from KindleUnpack for KF8 files. Or poke at the metadata with... something for KFX files.
No no, it picks another image in the right book. The right image is marked as a cover, though, either in the epub, and the azw3. I can't say what is marked as a cover in kfx, because I don't have a kfx editor, but the azw3 comes directly from kfx conversion, therefore I assume it is right in kfx too.

I now tried to unpack the azw3 with KindleUnpack, and any reference to "cover" points to the correct picture even in the unpacked book. Anything specific I should look at in the metadata?

Regarding the log and the "something for KFX files" I am afraid I don't know what to look for... Can you be more specific?
Old 04-01-2020, 03:09 AM   #2810
Ruskie_it
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post

Oh well... It is fixed now. In the end, I don't think it was metadata, but you tell me.
Here's what I did after what I already wrote:
  • updated the SS hack (no luck)
  • updated the Kindle previewer, and of course re-converted the original epub to kfx (no luck)
  • restarted the kindle (no luck)
  • via kual, set verbose mode and cleared the image cache (no luck); from that moment on, I started having no ss at all, it behaved as if "last screen mode" was set
  • restarted the kindle again (still having "last screen")
  • Changed to another book (correct cover displayed)
  • Started reading my "acutal" book again --> success, the correct cover image started to being displayed

Before writing here I already tried to switch to another book, showing correct cover, and switching back to the offending one, and it didn't work in that case. This time, it did the trick. Who knows...
Advert
Old 04-02-2020, 12:56 AM   #2811
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, (PW) & PW2; Kobo H2O & Forma
It's been quite a while since anything relevant was updated, but there was a KFX tweak (I don't really remember any details, though) a couple months ago, so you might have been using an older version.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, python, screensavers, touch