Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 01-16-2020, 12:39 PM   #3871
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
A number of mysteries are part of today's US Kindle Daily Deal, some new-ish, some old, all at $2.99 each, none matched at Kobo US, at least as of now

A Fatal Grace is the 2nd in Louise Penny's awesome Chief Inspector Gamache series. If you've somehow missed this series, here's a chance to pick up an early title on sale!
Kindle US: https://www.amazon.com/Fatal-Grace-I...dp/B0011UGLRY/

Death in St. Petersburg is the 12th in Tasha Alexander's Lady Emily series. This was on sale last month too, so check carefully before you buy.
Kindle US: https://www.amazon.com/Death-St-Pete...dp/B06XWF7C35/

The Day is Dark is the fourth in Yrsa Sigurðardóttir's Thóra Gudmundsdottir series. I've read and enjoyed all of the books in this series over the years.
Kindle US: https://www.amazon.com/Day-Dark-Thri...dp/B008BU71FI/

The Company She Kept is the 26th in the Joe Gunther series by Archer Mayor. I've read and enjoyed all of the titles up to about half-way through this series - some in DTB, and then also several where the rights appear to have reverted and reasonably priced e-book editions exist. It's sort of rare for later titles in this series to drop in price, though, so I'm happy to see this one.
Kindle US: https://www.amazon.com/Company-She-K...dp/B00V35U1YQ/

Three titles from Macmillan authors I don't recognize...

A Season to Lie, second in the Gemma Monroe series by Emily Littlejohn
Kindle US: https://www.amazon.com/Season-Lie-De...dp/B072DTQQJV/

Swiss Vendetta, first in the Agnes Luthi series by Tracee de Hahn
Kindle US: https://www.amazon.com/Swiss-Vendett...dp/B01IA6NW96/

Almost Midnight, 10th in the Mike Bowditch series by Paul Doiron
Kindle US: https://www.amazon.com/Almost-Midnig...dp/B07J4W75YK/

Last edited by sufue; 01-16-2020 at 12:43 PM.
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 02:02 PM   #3872
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by sufue View Post
A Fatal Grace is the 2nd in Louise Penny's awesome Chief Inspector Gamache series. If you've somehow missed this series, here's a chance to pick up an early title on sale!
I had (missed it) and I did (pick it up). The sample reads very well, so I'll engage in a new series. Thanks!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 04:10 PM   #3873
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
I had (missed it) and I did (pick it up). The sample reads very well, so I'll engage in a new series. Thanks!
I discovered this series Fall 2018 and just binge-read through all 13.5 of them (at the time, there's now 2 more). After a few books into the series, I was finishing one every day or two. Now I sadly have to wait for each new release, which I always pre-order. It's one of those series of books I wish never ended.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 04:25 PM   #3874
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
I discovered this series Fall 2018 and just binge-read through all 13.5 of them (at the time, there's now 2 more). After a few books into the series, I was finishing one every day or two. Now I sadly have to wait for each new release, which I always pre-order. It's one of those series of books I wish never ended.
I'm fortunate that my library has this series. I find them unlike any other mystery series I've read and I do recommend them.

You will want to read these books in series order. There are ongoing character issues and such that make more sense if you read in order, and you could be spoilered if you read a later book before an earlier one.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 04:47 PM   #3875
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
I'm fortunate that my library has this series. I find them unlike any other mystery series I've read and I do recommend them.

You will want to read these books in series order. There are ongoing character issues and such that make more sense if you read in order, and you could be spoilered if you read a later book before an earlier one.
Oh -- well, book #1 seems to be at $2.99 also, so I'll do as you suggest!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001OLRMZA
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 06:35 PM   #3876
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh good, I'm always just a bit nervous when I go out on a limb with such a strong recommendation, nice to know a few other folks agree. (My absolute most favorite series, Sarah Caudwell's short 4-book Hilary Tamar series generates about equal raves and boos. with almost no one in the middle...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post

Also, BTW, apparently the critics agree...I've rarely, if ever, seen such a list of awards and nominations for every book in a series - see the thumbnail
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LouisePennySYKM.PNG
Views:	109
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	176474  
Old 01-17-2020, 08:52 AM   #3877
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
Quote:

Adding my voice to the chorus of positive recommendations for this series I’m listening to it on audio and have adored it so far only 3 or 4 into the series
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 09:24 AM   #3878
sufue
lost in my e-reader...

If you missed it at $0.99, Troubled Bones has now dropped to $1.99 at Kindle US - link below is still good.

In addition, and really the reason I posted...the third in this series, The Demon's Parchment, has also dropped to $1.99 at Kindle US.

link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079ZCC3JD

Spoiler:
Quote:
The Tracker pursues mystical documents said to conjure demons while hunting for a monstrous killer in this medieval mystery with “an appealing noirish air” (Booklist).

Since losing his knighthood, Crispin Guest has reinvented himself as an investigator for hire known as the Tracker. But his reputation will once again be put to the test with his latest case. Jacob of Provençal, a Jewish physician at the king’s court, is missing a set of documents that he claims contain the power to bring forth a dangerous demon.

Meanwhile, it seems a monster has already been unleashed on the city. Vulnerable street children are being abducted and murdered, their mutilated bodies the only clues left behind. With the help of his orphaned servant, Jack, it is up to Crispin to unravel the grim tangle of mystery and murder.

This third installment of the Crispin Guest Medieval mysteries was nominated for a Romantic Times Award and was a finalist for the Macavity Award.

Quote:
Troubled Bones is the fourth in the Crispin Guest series by Jeri Westerson. Just to help the moderator out, since this might appear self-pub for those not familiar with historical mystery authors/series, a single click on the "hardcover" button and paging down shows it to have been originally traditionally published before, presumably, the rights reverted to the author for this edition. In addition, SYKM indicates it was a finalist for Agatha, Bruce Alexander and Macavity awards. Hopefully this is enough evidence that it's worthy to post.

Bones has dropped to $0.99 at Kindle US.

Kindle US: https://www.amazon.com/Troubled-Bone...dp/B079ZBTFQQ/
Old 01-17-2020, 09:28 AM   #3879
sufue
lost in my e-reader...

Constable Goes to Market is about 3/4 of the way through the lengthy Constable Nick series by Nicholas Rhea (pen name for Peter Walker). It is a Kindle Countdown deal in both the US and UK ($0.99 and £0.99, respectively), ending in a little more than 4 days.

Kindle US: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KM6S7LM
Kindle UK: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Constable-G...dp/B07KM6S7LM/

Spoiler:
Quote:
Market days in Ashfordly attract villagers from all over North Yorkshire. The spot to be for social outings, shopping, and business, the usually peaceful town springs to life. But new people and excited gatherings can only mean one thing for Constable Nick: more problems.

From a dog intent on demolishing market stalls to a live hand grenade found in a potato display, PC Nick has no shortage of small-town crises and eccentric characters to attend to. Linguistic misunderstandings, a spot of crime, and even a UFO sighting are all in a day’s work in Constable Goes to Market.

Nicholas Rhea’s delightful Constable tales paint an endearing and hilarious picture of police work in the British countryside and was the inspiration for the Heartbeat TV series.
Old 01-18-2020, 10:16 AM   #3880
sufue
lost in my e-reader...

Another of the really rare US price drops on a title in Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe/Archie Goodwin collection. These are much like John D. MacDonald's Travis McGee price drops in the US - rare and short - so grab it if you want it. I figure at the rate these go on sale, I'll have the whole series by the time I retire , just in time to re-read from start to finish...

Champagne for One, thirty-first in the series, $1.99
Kindle US: https://www.amazon.com/Champagne-Ner...dp/B003V4BPP6/
Kobo US: https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/champagne-for-one

Spoiler:
Quote:
Faith Usher had a decidedly morbid personality. She talked about taking her life, and kept cyanide in her purse. So when she collapses and dies from a lethal champagne cocktail in the middle of a high society dinner party, everyone calls it suicide—including the police. But Archie was watching it all, and suspects it was murder. So does Nero Wolfe, especially after he's warned by four men against taking the case. For the world's most formidable detective it is a tantalizing puzzle involving an unlikely combination of philanthropy, deception, blackmail, and an unrepentant killer who just may have committed the perfect crime.

Last edited by sufue; 01-18-2020 at 10:24 AM.
Old 01-18-2020, 10:34 AM   #3881
sufue
lost in my e-reader...

Murder at the University, apa On the Straight and Narrow, by Faith Martin, is the second in her Hillary Greene series. It is free right now at Kindle US and UK.

Kindle US: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076CQSYMM
Kindle UK: https://www.amazon.co.uk/MURDER-UNIV...dp/B076CQSYMM

Spoiler:
Quote:
THE LOCATION
Oxford is a city of two halves — town and gown. In the town, you have Cornmarket street full of shops and shoppers that could be found in any city in the country. But Oxford's 'dreaming spires' are the real draw for the tourists, romantics and those with intellectual aspirations to wear the gowns of students and dons. In centuries-old quads, croquet can still be played on lawns as smooth as velvet. Here, 'New' College's walls are actually over 500 years old, and Cotswold stone gleams in even the wateriest of winter sunlight. A city of bicycles, with undergraduates (and fellows) flapping about in faded, black gowns; the Martyrs’ Memorial, and fabled inns where the likes of J.R.R Tolkien sat and wrote about a Hobbit who lived in a hole in the ground. Everywhere you turn, you see history staring back at you. And of course there has always been murder!

THE DETECTIVE

DI Hillary Greene
An attractive woman in her forties, Hillary Greene is a police officer of many years’ experience, and came up through the ranks. Consequently, she knows how the system works, and is fiercely loyal to the force without being blinkered to its faults. She is a long-standing friend of her immediate superior officer, 'Mellow' Mallow and enjoys a rather enigmatic relationship with the steely Superintendent Marcus Donleavy. Popular with the rank and file for her no-nonsense attitude and competence.

PLEASE NOTE THIS IS A REVISED EDITION OF A BOOK FIRST PUBLISHED AS “ON THE STRAIGHT AND NARROW.”
Old 01-18-2020, 10:40 AM   #3882
sufue
lost in my e-reader...

An omnibus of two Lexi Carmichael titles by Julie Moffett has dropped to $1.99 at Kindle and Kobo US. Since these are usually $4.99 each, this is a pretty good buy if you need either or both titles.

No Place Like Rome & No Biz Like Showbiz, #3 and #4 in the series
Kindle US: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07W9CBLF5
Kobo US: https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/no-...z-like-showbiz

Spoiler:
Code:
Secrets, lies, and dead bodies. Just another week in the life of geek-girl Lexi Carmichael…

Two full-length Lexi Carmichael novels included!

No Place Like Rome

Italy might seem like a long way to go to hide after a disastrous date. But when sexy Ùberhacker Slash (no, that’s not his real name) asks me to go with him to Rome on an investigation, the timing is sort of perfect. My messed-up love life becomes the least of my worries, though, after the dead body, the near-kidnapping and the discovery of a top secret encrypted file that even I can’t hack.

With time running out, there’s only one thing to do: call in the legendary Zimmerman twins and my best fluent-in-Italian friend, Basia, to crack the code. Now if only someone could help me solve the mystery of whether Slash is flirting, or if all the kissing is just one of those “when in Rome” things…

But when we finally uncover the secret someone would kill to keep, it’s up to me to solve the case and save the lives of my best friends.

No Biz Like Showbiz

Lexi Carmichael: helping geeks everywhere get some.

Okay, so it’s not exactly as it seems, but that’s what’s happening on the dating reality show called Geeks Get Some that I, geek extraordinaire Lexi Carmichael, have been called to work on. Not that I’m a fan of reality shows (I can barely deal with my own reality). Still, I’ve been sent to Hollywood to find a hacker who’s screwing with the results of the show’s online voting system.

So what happens when I get there? Well, the producers convince me to continue my investigation from the inside. And what should be an easy hunt for the hacker turns ugly when he sets his sights on me. Add to that a studio obsessed with ratings, a bunch of nerdy contestants, and my own confusing love life, and unraveling this mystery might make me a star...or get me killed.

Originally published in 2013, 2014
Old 01-18-2020, 10:57 AM   #3883
sufue
lost in my e-reader...

A big bunch of price drops on Donald E. Westlake titles, mostly to $1.99, both non-series and Dortmunder books. Titles at Kobo are coupon/VIPable. Most have been on sale before, so check carefully before you buy. The links are a little messy, but I'm in a hurry and don't have time to totally clean them up.

Kindle US: http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/?sea...price-asc-rank
Kobo US: https://www.kobo.com/us/en/search?Qu...9&fcmedia=Book

I love a lot of Westlake's book titles, and even have a couple on my "best title" list: Spy in the Ointment; God Save the Mark; Baby, Would I Lie?
Old 01-18-2020, 12:18 PM   #3884
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Live Flesh by Ruth Rendel is $1.99

https://smile.amazon.com/Live-Flesh-...al-text&sr=1-1
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 05:14 AM   #3885
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
The deal of the day at Amazon UK is all 8 books in the Vera Stanhope series by Ann Cleeves at 99p each.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote