Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-08-2017, 04:30 PM   #1
strico
Enthusiast
strico can differentiate black from dark navy bluestrico can differentiate black from dark navy bluestrico can differentiate black from dark navy bluestrico can differentiate black from dark navy bluestrico can differentiate black from dark navy bluestrico can differentiate black from dark navy bluestrico can differentiate black from dark navy bluestrico can differentiate black from dark navy bluestrico can differentiate black from dark navy bluestrico can differentiate black from dark navy bluestrico can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Sony PRS-600
Kobo Aura One vs. Oasis 2

As an e-reader aficionado, I can't stand a year without buying a new Ebook reader.

So, when the Kobo Aura One was out, I was very enthusiastic about it, but I said to myself, I must wait for a new Kindle. So, I waited, waited and waited, and now it's out, which leaves me in a dilemma in what to buy now.

To tell you the truth, I'm pretty satisfied with my Kindle Voyage, and it seems like there's not much progress in both of them (aside from size).

However, I made up my mind to buy a new one, so what should it be in your opinion? Aura One or Oasis 2?
strico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 05:05 PM   #2
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
LOL! Such a dilemma. The real answer, of course, is to wait on necessity or an irresistible urge or an incredible sale (the last is what usually gets me). But since you ask....

Go with the Aura One. It's got a bigger screen and it will give you different functionality than Kindles, as you're still happy with your Voyage anyway.

(Pay no attention to the devices under my avatar! )
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2017, 05:11 PM   #3
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I never used the Aura One, although I did want one. When the Oasis was released, I decided to go with it, and I'm glad I did. It's a great device, best Kindle I've ever used, and I've had several...

The 2nd gen Kindle was my first one, then a couple of the little basic models with the 5 buttons on the bottom bezel, (this was my least favorite, I didn't care for it at all), then the 1st gen Paperwhite which I liked, then the 2nd gen Paperwhite which became my favorite for a long time.

Then I got a Kobo Glo HD because of the better font controls, which has been my main reader for the past year, until I got the Oasis 2.

The new Oasis does offer the screen inverse, which many users like at night. I don't see me using it much, I had to increase the font size to make up the reduced contrast. But everything else about this device is top notch IMO. And it's nice to have wireless delivery options again, especially the Send to Kindle feature.

I thought the auto-rotate would bug me, but it has turned out to be a feature I really like. It makes switching hands while reading very smooth. There is very little about it that I don't like.

If you buy from Amazon, you can always return it in the first 30 days if it doesn't meet your needs or expectations.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 05:21 PM   #4
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by strico View Post
As an e-reader aficionado, I can't stand a year without buying a new Ebook reader.

So, when the Kobo Aura One was out, I was very enthusiastic about it, but I said to myself, I must wait for a new Kindle. So, I waited, waited and waited, and now it's out, which leaves me in a dilemma in what to buy now.

To tell you the truth, I'm pretty satisfied with my Kindle Voyage, and it seems like there's not much progress in both of them (aside from size).

However, I made up my mind to buy a new one, so what should it be in your opinion? Aura One or Oasis 2?
Simple solution.
Buy both.
Dilemma solved.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 11:51 AM   #5
TuxGirl
Groupie
TuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the husk

Device: kindle
I think if I had known that Amazon was going to make a larger-screen device, I probably would've waited and gotten the Oasis 2, just to keep all my ebooks in one ecosystem. But I love my aura one. I have a lot of technical ebooks, and while I'm still running into some font weirdness with them (monospace issues), I love the screen size for the ka1.
TuxGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert