Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 08-04-2009, 07:37 PM   #46
PieOPah
Addict
PieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtw View Post
We had "Journeyman" with Kevin McKidd, now on "Grey's Anatomy." Was it cribbed from a British show, as so many are lately? (I'm dreading this fall's "The Prisoner" remake.)

Journeyman started out well, with an interesting twist on lost love, but quickly fell into too many syfy tropes.
Yes, Journeyman was the show I was thinking of.

I find it quite funny about your thoughts on the remakes as I personally hate it all - Red Dwarf (failed after pilot), The Office (even if it is successfull in the US), Life on Mars (I am glad it was cancelled), Spaced (never seen any of the remakes, but if Simon Pegg disagrees then I am more than supportive), and so many others....

I am waiting for the reaction to a British version of Friends (although I would hate the idea just as much as a remake of any British shows).

Didn't know that The Prisoner was being remade...

Getting back on topic, I am appalled at the response from the author. It is extremely narrow minded not to branch out into other formats because of a personal preference... Also, all it does is promotes piracy - look at Harry Potter...
PieOPah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 08:23 PM   #47
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Narrow-minded or not (one can "argue" both ways, I feel), it is nevertheless her right as the author of the book and with the contract that she agrees to negotiate to with her Publisher.

I also agree that it brings up fetishistic practices of Darknet scrounging, but we're all legal-abiding citizens. Right?

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2009, 08:28 PM   #48
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
It's hard to believe they could make The Prisoner *worse...*

(fleeing rotten tomatoes here).

Regarding the original topic of this thread, several people have PM'd me to ask if I'll send you the book I OCR'd. I did that for my private use and I don't think it's fair to the author if I share it. She's entitled to her opinions about e-books.

Frankly this reminds me of the Ray Bradbury discussion on Farenheit 451, but with Niffenegger it's a lot less surprising. She's a literary writer, after all, so I'd expect her to be the one trying to hold back technology.

Last edited by doreenjoy; 08-04-2009 at 08:31 PM.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 08:30 PM   #49
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
It's hard to believe they could make The Prisoner *worse...*

(fleeing rotten tomatoes here).

Regarding the original topic of this thread, several people have PM'd me to ask if I'll send you the book I OCR'd. I did that for my private use and I don't think it's fair to the author if I share it.
...and illegal to share it.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 09:35 PM   #50
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Regarding the original topic of this thread, several people have PM'd me to ask if I'll send you the book I OCR'd. I did that for my private use and I don't think it's fair to the author if I share it. She's entitled to her opinions about e-books.
Yes, books are sacred... well, unless hollywood is going to pay you a ton of money to make your book into a movie...well then that's ok.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2009, 09:47 PM   #51
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post

Dear Catherine,

I'm sorry, but I've devoted my life to physical books (I helped found the Columbia College Center for Book and Paper Arts) and e-books = dematerialised books. E-books imperil book design, typography, and other art forms that I care about. E-books are also not helpful to bookstores, and I love bookstores. So even though I understand that many people prefer e-books, I am not planning to issue my books in that form if I can avoid it. If that means I sell fewer books, so be it.

Thank you for your interest in my work, and for taking the time to write to me.

Regards,
Audrey Niffenegger

The 1800's called they want their attitudes back.

Yours

The Internets

PS Your book is available for download all over the internet. Good luck with trying to keep it non-digital.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 10:15 PM   #52
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:

I'm sorry, but I've devoted my life to physical books (I helped found the Columbia College Center for Book and Paper Arts) and e-books = dematerialised books. E-books imperil book design, typography, and other art forms that I care about. E-books are also not helpful to bookstores, and I love bookstores. So even though I understand that many people prefer e-books, I am not planning to issue my books in that form if I can avoid it. If that means I sell fewer books, so be it.
I copied the response here and sent Audrey another email. I tried to gently correct her misconceptions. Let's see what happens.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 12:48 AM   #53
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I copied the response here and sent Audrey another email. I tried to gently correct her misconceptions. Let's see what happens.
I seriously doubt that this will do anything but alienate her further.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 05:13 AM   #54
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
There are a lot of people who think certain forms of technology are ruining culture. : shrug : Not much we can do to change their minds.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 05:41 AM   #55
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
There are a lot of people who think certain forms of technology are ruining culture. : shrug : Not much we can do to change their minds.
I agree. I think the technology will need to mature some more, too, to help win over the sceptics - e-readers still have a way to go to reach the level of aestethics of a printed page. Not everyone think the payoff of convenience is worth it.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:06 AM   #56
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
I seriously doubt that this will do anything but alienate her further.
I don't think that's possible.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:07 AM   #57
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
i'd be curious to know what you wrote to her, if you don't mind.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:35 AM   #58
Ea
Wizard

Quote:
Well, she already stated her opinion quite clearly, and if someone then keeps going on about it (and I'm not saying that you didn't phrase it nicely and courteously), it could feel quite annoying. She didn't appear to be ignorant about it, and also to have fairly firmly made up her mind.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:06 AM   #59
columbus
Wizard
columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs 650, 505
Quote:

Thank you for your interest in my work, and for taking the time to write to me.

Regards,
Audrey Niffenegger

Very noble but IMHO She should not then be surprised if the 'dark side' choose to profit from her views.
columbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 09:25 AM   #60
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
Well, all I can say is that I was originally against Gutenberg and his infernal printing press. After all, look at what it did to the scribe business! All those illuminated manuscripts put by the wayside, simply so the "masses" could have copies, too. A few hundred years later and I eventually gave in, though....
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote