Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-02-2019, 10:07 AM   #1
Trask
Trask began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-T1
Reader with disable touch + manual buttons

Hi all,

My previous two e-readers have both been from Sony (PRS-505 and PRS-T1). I loved the simplicity of these models. I didn't need wifi, I could convert books into epub and read them on the device, etc.

I'm looking to upgrade, as my ereader constantly double turns pages, and it's getting a little old. Preferrably, I'm looking for an ebook reader that can disable the touchscreen and use manual buttons to turn pages. Other than that, I don't have a lot of requirements. I was looking at the Kindle Oasis, but the cost is pretty high, and I don't like being locked into the Amazon store.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Trask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 10:19 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Oh for heaven's sake, not that old chestnut again. You are not "locked into the Amazon store" (or anything else, for that matter) if you buy a Kindle. I have a Kindle and buy and download books from all sorts of different sites.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2019, 10:24 AM   #3
Trask
Trask began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-T1
woah, apologies if I've hit a nerve, didn't mean to. I don't frequent these forums, and I'm not up to date with e-reader technology. I apologise if my understanding is incorrect. As mentioned, I also consider the price quite restrictive.
Trask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 11:23 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's a common misconception, and completely inaccurate.

There aren't that many devices which have physical buttons, so if they are important for you you're basically limited to the top-end devices from Amazon or Kobo (Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma) or devices from less well-known manufacturers like Pocketbook which you'll have to buy online.

Going with a touchscreen gives you a hugely wider range of choices.
Old 03-04-2019, 02:17 PM   #5
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Is there any particular reason why you need, or prefer, a device with page turn buttons? My previous device was a prs-505 and I thought I'd hate a touchscreen, but quickly adapted to it.

You really would have a wider range of readers if you broadened your criteria.

Welcome to mobileread
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2019, 02:23 PM   #6
chromedome
Enthusiast
chromedome has read War And Peace ... all of itchromedome has read War And Peace ... all of itchromedome has read War And Peace ... all of itchromedome has read War And Peace ... all of itchromedome has read War And Peace ... all of itchromedome has read War And Peace ... all of itchromedome has read War And Peace ... all of itchromedome has read War And Peace ... all of itchromedome has read War And Peace ... all of itchromedome has read War And Peace ... all of itchromedome has read War And Peace ... all of it

Device: Voyage, PW2, Kobo Glo (KK, Sony PRS600)
First Generation Oasis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trask View Post

Preferrably, I'm looking for an ebook reader that can disable the touchscreen and use manual buttons to turn pages. Other than that, I don't have a lot of requirements. I was looking at the Kindle Oasis, but the cost is pretty high, and I don't like being locked into the Amazon store.
If you're not averse to second-user you could probably pick up a good first generation Oasis from e-bay for around $150. It has the buttons you require. I don't know about the screen disabling feature though.
chromedome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 04:58 PM   #7
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
I don't know if there is a reader with the possibility of disabling touch.

Kindle Oasis has a 7" screen and Kobo Forma has a 8" screen. And as far as I know they are the only readers with buttons (among those still in production). Unfortunately they are not cheap.

You also could follow the advice of the previous post of chromedome and look for something that is not no more produced.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 02:47 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps67 View Post
I don't know if there is a reader with the possibility of disabling touch.
As the OP suggested, the Kindle Oasis can do so.
Old 03-05-2019, 02:56 AM   #9
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
I assume the Reader that has the double page turns is your T1. If you like the T1 (except for the page turning issue) you might want to look into a used or new T2 or T3. I don't think either have the "double page turn" issue. I know what you mean, my T1 does that, but not the T2.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 09:52 AM   #10
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I assume the Reader that has the double page turns is your T1. If you like the T1 (except for the page turning issue) you might want to look into a used or new T2 or T3. I don't think either have the "double page turn" issue. I know what you mean, my T1 does that, but not the T2.
Yes, my T1 had occasional double page turns and as it got older, it also started locking up frequently when I accessed the dictionary. Also, it was no longer able to directly download Overdrive library books after Overdrive's major changes in late 2016.

I've been using a T3 for a couple years now and I haven't experienced double page turns. It's only locked up a handful of times over the past two years. And it can still get Overdrive library books directly.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 10:02 AM   #11
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Can you disable the touch screen on the first gen Oasis? I've never used that model.

The currently sold Oasis can have the touch screen disabled while reading so you just use the page turn buttons. The option has to be enabled after each wake up...with a book open it takes 3 taps.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 10:48 AM   #12
LucyOne
Librocubicularist
LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook InkPad 3 & Touch HD 3, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 5
Many Pocketbook models have page turn buttons and you can disable the touchscreen if you install the alternative reading software "CoolReader". It's not difficult to do. In CoolReader you can configure 9 tap zones for short and long press, so you could set the tap zones for short tap to "no action".
Please note that CoolReader does not open DRM-protected ebooks.

If you can do without buttons, you could also use the new Kindle Paperwhite. You can disable the touchscreen and go forward and backward by swiping.
LucyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 10:52 AM   #13
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
If you can do without buttons, you could also use the new Kindle Paperwhite. You can disable the touchscreen and go forward and backward by swiping.
That's not correct. How would swiping work if the touch screen was disabled?
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 11:13 AM   #14
LucyOne
Librocubicularist
LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook InkPad 3 & Touch HD 3, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
That's not correct. How would swiping work if the touch screen was disabled?
Well, they call it "disable touchscreen". It means that the touchscreen does not react to taps or random touch anymore, only to swiping.
LucyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 12:17 PM   #15
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyOne View Post
Huh??? What do you swipe if you have disabled the touchscreen. The Paperwhites do not have physical buttons? Or is this like the Kobo models where you can select between tapping and swiping or swiping only to page forward/back. That still uses the touchscreen.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote