Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-20-2011, 09:37 AM   #1
jago25_98
Zealot
jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: n35 p800 n30
Not getting a Notion Adam anymore, Kindle3 for .pdf?

At the moment I don't read much. This is because I don't have any space to carry books and I don't like reading off LCD much.

I didn't buy a Kindle when it came out because to simplify the decision making process I am looking ofr something that reads .pdf very well.

So when the Adam came out I thought I'd just get that; no page lag and I'd quite like a tablet seeing as I don't own my own computer anyway.
Unfortunately the Adam screen is not what we were hoping - it's no good for reading.

So now I don't know what to do. I am looking at .pdf on Kindle. I can see version 3 can do it but I'm not convinced.

To simplify the decision making process let's say I want to view the worst file format possible - a 100mb, uncropped, image based .pdf. Can I convert something like that with Caliber and OCR or is this unrealistic?

Alternatively, what about a Netbook with the PixelQi screen, is that as bad as the Adam?

I also note that the high contrast on the Kindle3 perhaps could be better? I'd prefer a light yellow background - I'm one of those people who has that flickering effect with high contrast. However, I'm hopeful I can overcome this with a filter like some Dyslexic people use. I find if I change Acrobat reader background to a pastel yellow that's a lot nicer.

If it's not really possible then I will continue to wait. I don't want to end up like this guy with 8 ereaders! https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49817
I'm ever hopeful a new phone will come out that can also do ereading well.
jago25_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 12:11 PM   #2
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Sony's tend to have the best PDF functionality for e-readers. The problem is that the best still is kind of crummy. PDFs were not meant to be read on a 6 inch screen. The reflow can be ackward (sp) on the Sony. The Kindle does not have reflow but you can read PDFs in landscape.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2011, 06:35 PM   #3
charmian
Addict
charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW2
Re: converting PDF to mobi/epub using calibre and OCR. It's possible, but it's probably going to suck, depending on how complex the formatting is. You are going to have to OCR it in order to reflow. I've used Calibre to convert books from PDF and it turned out to be a big mess, with page numbers and footnotes mucking things up.

I would recommend a Kindle DX for reading PDFs. It won't be perfect, but it'll be much better than the 6" one.

I would recommend going to look at a Kindle DX (they have them at Best Buy, if you are in the US) and seeing what you think of the contrast.
charmian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 05:18 PM   #4
jago25_98
Zealot
jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: n35 p800 n30
Well I'm in 2 minds about it.

Clearly there's the technology now for LCD response speed eink like screens with Mirasol, PixelQi etc,

but I'm beginning to think it's being delayed while the drive to sell kindles goes on...

so I'm tempted to get a Nook Touch, which I can hack to play with... but it's ~£100... when really it should be <£50 as a toy...
jago25_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 02:51 AM   #5
aeed0101
aeed0101 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
In my opinion, Kindle DX with Kindle 3 software + Duokan via Launchpad is a very good choice for pdf reading. 6 inch screen is too small.
aeed0101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2011, 10:59 AM   #6
Synergi
Addict
Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, iPadPro, Galaxy Note 5, 8 (tab) & Galaxy Tab S3
I don't even bother with PDF's on a 6'' eink screen. You could always pick up the Entourage Edge (only can get on Ebay now I think.) or Pocket edge. One side is eink the other LCD. If your PDF is crummy on the eink side open it on the LCD side.

Does your PDF reader have to be eink or PixelQI? You could just get a tablet with a nice IPS screen with long battery life, other wise, if it must be eink, I'd go with Kindle DX.
Synergi is offline   Reply With Quote