Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-21-2019, 06:16 AM   #16
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Another formatting option (on the reader) would be top/bottom justification: Top - fixed line spacing/paragraph spacing, or Full - extra space is added between lines to bottom justify a page.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 06:49 AM   #17
Tomifonication
Luddite
Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Another formatting option (on the reader) would be top/bottom justification: Top - fixed line spacing/paragraph spacing, or Full - extra space is added between lines to bottom justify a page.
Unfortunately I don't that's possible on a non-jailbroken Oasis 2? And I don't believe I can jailbroke the version of the Oasis 2 I have, as its firmware is too recent.

Edit: I understand what you mean, i.e. the justification options on the Kindle; this didn't work however and the issue persists.

Last edited by Tomifonication; 04-21-2019 at 06:54 AM.
Tomifonication is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2019, 07:00 AM   #18
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomifonication View Post
Unfortunately I don't that's possible on a non-jailbroken Oasis 2? And I don't believe I can jailbroke the version of the Oasis 2 I have, as its firmware is too recent.

Edit: I understand what you mean, i.e. the justification options on the Kindle; this didn't work however and the issue persists.
Sorry, I meant it would be nice if Amazon (and other readers) added it as an option.
Old 04-21-2019, 08:21 AM   #19
Tomifonication
Luddite
Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.

Quote:
Sorry, I meant it would be nice if Amazon (and other readers) added it as an option.
Ah I see!
Old 04-21-2019, 08:59 AM   #20
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
There's nothing wrong with wanting to eliminate spaces between paragraphs. I do it all the time, cannot stand them either. Not by conversion, though, I do it in the Calibre editor, this gives me more control. But then, I don't use the kfx format. For the editor, you'd need azw3.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2019, 08:59 AM   #21
John F
Grand Sorcerer

What is the default for widows and orphans on a Kindle?
Old 04-21-2019, 09:02 AM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Default is "off". It has to be specified in a book's CSS.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 09:14 AM   #23
Tomifonication
Luddite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
There's nothing wrong with wanting to eliminate spaces between paragraphs. I do it all the time, cannot stand them either. Not by conversion, though, I do it in the Calibre editor, this gives me more control. But then, I don't use the kfx format. For the editor, you'd need azw3.
That’s an interesting idea. Out of interest, do you edit as AZW and then convert to KFX? Or do you just use the AZW file?
Old 04-21-2019, 09:26 AM   #24
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That’s an interesting idea. Out of interest, do you edit as AZW and then convert to KFX? Or do you just use the AZW file?
I use the azw3. Mainly because I also use custom font sizes on my Oasis (the FONT_RAMP hack) and those work only with azw3. Custom font sizes are more important for me than enhanced typesetting.
Old 04-21-2019, 09:27 AM   #25
Tomifonication
Luddite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I use the azw3. Mainly because I also use custom font sizes on my Oasis (the FONT_RAMP hack) and those work only with azw3. Custom font sizes are more important for me than enhanced typesetting.
I have to admit I don’t know much about the hack, but seems we’re likeminded so I‘ll take a look!
Old 04-21-2019, 09:38 AM   #26
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
I follow. I guess it's largely personal preference, I just find it quite annoying. As I said, I can correct the "flaw," for lack of a better term, by converting the book from KFX to KFX in Calibre, with "Remove Paragraph Spacing" checked.

My follow-up question is, what am I losing by doing this? I know converting from KFX isn't recommended, but why is that, and what is detrimental in this approach?
Conversion from KF8 (azw3) format generally produces better results than conversion from KFX because KF8 more closely reflects the internal coding of the book as provided by the publisher to Amazon. KFX preserves the text and most of the formatting, but the internal coding will not match the original source. Either is usable for most purposes.

Conversion from either format to KFX using the calibre conversion GUI will result in a book that has significant internal differences from the original KFX book because of changes made during conversion. It may work fine or you might experience problems. Your current reading position and notes/highlights you make may not sync with your Amazon account and between devices or they may sync, but not to the correct position in the book. The X-ray and Word Wise features (if supported for that book) may not work properly.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 10:04 AM   #27
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Default is "off". It has to be specified in a book's CSS.
Maybe the OP could try removing widows and orphans, or setting them to 1?
Old 04-21-2019, 10:16 AM   #28
Tomifonication
Luddite

Quote:
Maybe the OP could try removing widows and orphans, or setting them to 1?
Admittedly, as my title suggests, am something of a luddite. Could I trouble you to elaborate on this method?
Old 04-21-2019, 10:52 AM   #29
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Admittedly, as my title suggests, am something of a luddite. Could I trouble you to elaborate on this method?
You'd have to do it in the Calibre editor, editing the CSS file.
Old 04-21-2019, 10:53 AM   #30
Tomifonication
Luddite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Conversion from KF8 (azw3) format generally produces better results than conversion from KFX because KF8 more closely reflects the internal coding of the book as provided by the publisher to Amazon. KFX preserves the text and most of the formatting, but the internal coding will not match the original source. Either is usable for most purposes.

Conversion from either format to KFX using the calibre conversion GUI will result in a book that has significant internal differences from the original KFX book because of changes made during conversion. It may work fine or you might experience problems. Your current reading position and notes/highlights you make may not sync with your Amazon account and between devices or they may sync, but not to the correct position in the book. The X-ray and Word Wise features (if supported for that book) may not work properly.
Thanks for your explanation.