Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 02-05-2019, 12:08 PM   #1
Listatta
Listatta began at the beginning.

Device: kindle voyager, Kobo Aura ONE Limited, Windows 10
Unhappy Dark Theme for GUI on Windows 10?

So I've read all the other "post" I could find on this:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=283145
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=312899
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=291484
https://bugs.launchpad.net/calibre/+bug/1738087

that whole "you add the environment variable "CALIBRE_QSS_PATH" and set it to be, well, the path" is beyond me without step by step instructions, but I would love my calibre to look more like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	DarkCalibre.png
Views:	541
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	169511
https://imgur.com/bwLlyQO

The Job spy plugin doesn't help either, yes it may recolor SOME of the GUI but not all and leaves the GUI looking like crap.

While most people on smaller 15" and 18" monitors and CRT monitors aren't going to have a HUGE problem with the AWFUL color of the GUI interface, those of us that work on 25" plus monitors: WANT TO GOUGE OUT OUR EYES, while trying to use calibre.

I don't use calibre to read anything, just to backup and import/export my books to my different devices, but firing up this app/software is physically painful on the eyes.

Now I know everyone says "you can get Calibre to use your colors by choosing System default for the User interface style under Look and Feel in Preferences." but this doesn't work in Windows 10 please see screenshot from below:

Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot.png
Views:	452
Size:	201.6 KB
ID:	169512
https://imgur.com/POWzbrl

now this clearly shows that I have windows 10 set to dark (see red arrow in bottom right) and that I have the user interface style set to system default in calibre, and you can see these have already been set because it's showing apply as grayed out, and you can see that it's still the blinding white.

Now I know for what ever reason the creator of calibre has some hangup about a dark theme: "Kovid Goyal (kovid) wrote on 2017-12-14: #5
Read my lips, NO"

I'm going to guess he doesn't sit in front of 2 or 3 25" LED monitors, but probably still uses a . Which is what most of the web and applications are still built to be view on . I mean the white paper background was great on those old monitors, but as we move forward to larger and larger screen and brighter and brighter screens, developers need to re-think our designs and their personal hangups.

And NO it's not an option to go in and change the specific color settings in my operating systems settings for one single application. Every other application I use displays just fine on my screen, all of them either have a built in dark theme, generally muted colors, or is so small that the light color isn't a problem. Why should I have to go in and change my operating system colors for ONE application? This will ruin the experience of all the other application.

So someone please those of us that aren't Linux users (ok there is apparently not a smilies for beg so insert begging here) and in advance
Listatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 02:37 PM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I use a pair of 25" 16/9 LED monitors with Win 10 and am very happy with the default theme. I guess I like my eyes gouged.

My point: drop the hyperbole and insult if you actually want help.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2019, 02:39 PM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Moderator Notice
Moved to the right forum
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 03:39 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I use up to 4@ 22" 1920x1080 monitors with the default theme.
My eyes are about the same age as Charles.
I also suggest you take the insults someplace else.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 05:16 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Windows 10 Dark Theme only applies to Metro Apps, such as Settings, Alarms and Clock, etc. As you obviously know, it doesn't apply to non-Metro software - i.e. the 95%. Dark themes in File Explorer, Office, Bowpad, etc are baked into the application themselves.

Calibre uses the Qt software to provide the UI elements across three desktop platforms - Windows, MacOS, and Linux. Qt does not support themeing under Windows. Other Qt based software products are in the same boat - Sigil, qBbittorrent, falkon, malwarebytes etc.

I don't know if The Qt Company has anything in the pipeline in this regard. But I imagine they've been asked about it a qtrillion times.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2019, 08:02 PM   #6
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listatta View Post
...and you can see that it's still the blinding white...
Your monitor brightness looks way, way too bright - not only does your comment say it all but it is also obvious from your attached image. I would suggest turning it way down; your eyes will adjust.

If you have been playing around with any of the monitor's RGB, gamma, brightness, contrast, etc. settings I would suggest doing a reset to factory settings and start from there, adjusting brightness only (usually lower is required) unless you have the experience required to calibrate monitors by eye.

I use multiple monitors and, like others have said, I have no problems at all with Calibre or any other application with "white" backgrounds.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dark, theme, windows 10