Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-21-2019, 08:52 PM   #1
JennReads
JennReads began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire, Nook Tablet
Question Multiple Questions

I've been using Calibre for a while but I'm moving machines and I feel like I knew how to do this before or meant to learn but can't remember so if I sound like an idiot I really do apologize in advance. I have a few questions, I don't really know python but I feel like I'm fairly capable of following instructions if that's needed. And if it's already answered somewhere I'd appreciate a point in the right direction because I've been searching for over an hour and can't find the answers to any of my questions.

So question 1, adding metadata on import. I'm importing large quantities of books because I'm combining libraries for my spouse at the moment. Many of them have ratings already added and I hate ratings on the books. Is there a way to only add read certain meta data - ie title, author, series, isbn, blurb but NO ratings? I've remembered how to configure the tags, but I can't figure out how to automatically remove all the rating information on input. I know how to do it manually afterward but I'd really like to skip that step and set it up in the preferences to import it without that particular string of data.

Question 2 - automatic file conversion. I know how to set it up but I want to know if there's a way to make exceptions. Like my spouse reads a lot of comics and while everything else needs to be converted to epub on import cbr and cbz files do not need to be converted. Can I set it up so it auto converts everything except those formats?

Question 3 - Audiobooks, is there a way to make calibre add the mp3 files right along with the rest of the files, rather than going in and doing it one at a time later? I know how to add them one at a time, what I don't know is how to get it to bulk add the way it does with the other file types. I know calibre is a book, not a music programs but I really like the organization system and I like keeping the files together. My audiobooks have all been merged into 1 mp3 file and it would be so much faster and simpler if it would import with the other file types.

Question 4: Books with Multiple Series. Is there a way to add additional series input to a book file? Like I have a lot of anthologies that belong to multiple series, I don't necessarily need every series to show up when I'm scrolling through but when I go to the branch sorting thing on left and look by series I'd like for them to show up under each series. So like on the main page it might just show it the same as every other one series book, but if I went and organized by series any series it belongs to that I clicked on would have that book listed.

I'm sorry if I've asked something simple I should already know but I'm just not finding it, so any help anyone could give me pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
JennReads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 12:55 AM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Q1 - can ratings be ignored on Import, AFAIK - not easily. But you can remove the ratings on multiple books in Metadata Edit. Select all books (Ctrl+A), press 'E', then in the Basic tab set Ratings to Not rated, check the Apply rating box, click OK - job done.

Q2 - don't auto-convert CBR and CBZ's. If auto convert settings are checked then I think the conversion will happen - i.e. there's no selectivity. I suggest you add the comics in batches after turning off the autoconvert options in Add Books->Control the adding of books.

Q3 - Audio Books - if you mean merge them into existing books - as in you have a epub and you want to add the MP3 to the same calibre book, you could do that via the calibredb command line tool, but you would need to match the MP3 to a book id (number). Otherwise drag-drop individually onto the matching Book Details panel. If you mean add them as new books, make sure the file names match the Add Books file name template, and drag/drop them en-masse into the book list.

Q4. Multiple Series - you can add a custom column that is a Series. Do a search in the Library Management subforum for 'multiple series', this has been discussed on several occasions.

I recommend you experiment with a test library, and ensure you have a recent backup of your libraries before any doing each major change.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 01:38 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
As BR mentioned the issues with q1,q2
This is why many of us add book to an INTAKE library: Clean, massage , pummel until things are 'just right'. Then we simply select those and right-click:copy to Library (delete):theMainone
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
help calibre