Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 03-29-2003, 12:07 PM   #1
macrotor
Connoisseur
macrotor knows what time it ismacrotor knows what time it ismacrotor knows what time it ismacrotor knows what time it ismacrotor knows what time it ismacrotor knows what time it ismacrotor knows what time it ismacrotor knows what time it ismacrotor knows what time it ismacrotor knows what time it ismacrotor knows what time it is

Device: Tungsten|C with Nokia6200
Converting PDFs to iSilo

Okay, I'm just going to get this thread started before I forget. Currently, I'm trying to get pdf2html to work on MacOS X. I'm getting assistance from their sourceforge forum. I have one more glitch to nail and it will be done. The basic idea is that it will convert PDFs to html, then iSilo converts the files (with pictures) to an ebook. Good stuff if I can get it to work.

Jim
macrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2003, 05:10 PM   #2
daught
Enthusiast
daught knows what time it isdaught knows what time it isdaught knows what time it isdaught knows what time it isdaught knows what time it isdaught knows what time it isdaught knows what time it isdaught knows what time it isdaught knows what time it isdaught knows what time it isdaught knows what time it is

Jim,

Where did you get this software? Version Tracker OS X or from one of the Palm download sites? If it works, it sounds like a great alternative to Acrobat Reader for Palm. Thanks.

Gary
daught is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2003, 08:37 PM   #3
macrotor
Connoisseur
macrotor knows what time it ismacrotor knows what time it ismacrotor knows what time it ismacrotor knows what time it ismacrotor knows what time it ismacrotor knows what time it ismacrotor knows what time it ismacrotor knows what time it ismacrotor knows what time it ismacrotor knows what time it ismacrotor knows what time it is

It's actually unix software. You can find it at:
http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/pdftohtml

As I said, I can't seem to get it to compile just yet. Once I do, I'll post instructions.

I'm trying to replace the Adobe Palm Reader because:
1) It is SLOW
2) It crashes my Tungsten W every time I try to view an image or quit the application.

Anyhow, if anybody else find s a solution, let me know! I'll keep working on this.
Old 03-31-2003, 02:46 PM   #4
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally posted by macrotor
It's actually unix software. You can find it at:
http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/pdftohtml

As I said, I can't seem to get it to compile just yet. Once I do, I'll post instructions.

I'm trying to replace the Adobe Palm Reader because:
1) It is SLOW
2) It crashes my Tungsten W every time I try to view an image or quit the application.

Anyhow, if anybody else find s a solution, let me know! I'll keep working on this.
There is also a graphical Windows frontend for pdfTohtml at http://www.wminds.com/downloads/pdf2htmlgui/ . You're absolutely right, using iSilo for reading converted .pdf files would be the dream solution.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 02:52 PM   #5
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There is also a Windows shareware app called PDF2HTML at

http://www.verypdf.com/pdf2htm/index.html

Curious how that one performs though.
Advert
Old 03-31-2003, 04:13 PM   #6
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Forget my last post. This tool by Verypdf seems to only create jpg files of the pdf. Not useful at all for our purposes.
Old 04-04-2003, 06:35 AM   #7
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Today I stumbled over a very good PDF -> HTML convertor called Txt2Latex

You can find version 0.49 here. Unfortunately, the site is in German; if you don't understand it, try to read the babelfish'ed version.

Download here.

Requirements: Windows, Java
Old 04-04-2003, 06:39 AM   #8
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Here is another PDF -> HTML which I haven't tried myself:

http://ctdeveloping.com/ctdeveloping...erter_info.asp
Old 04-04-2003, 06:46 AM   #9
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Gemini Solo is supposed to be one of the best PDF -> HTML convertors, you can find info here: http://www.iceni.com/soloSet.html
Old 04-04-2003, 10:12 AM   #10
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Gemini Solo looks REALLY good. There is a crippled demo available at http://www.iceni.com/downloadSet.html

What is really nice that Gemini automatically identifies multicolumn texts and generates a single-flowed text from it. Very nice for reading on the PDA.

Gemini seems also very fast from what I can tell after my first few tests.
Old 04-04-2003, 02:37 PM   #11
macrotor
Connoisseur

Got pdftohtml to work on MacOS X! And it's free! I'll need a little time to set up the instructions. Wow, it does the graphics and everything. Woo hoo!
Old 04-04-2003, 02:40 PM   #12
macrotor
Connoisseur

Just a comment a quick comment about pdf converter software: I think it would be best to just try to format the contact as exact as possible to the original pdf document. Let iSilo do all the re-formatting. That way you aren't trying to juggle reformatting between two pieces of software and get unexpected results.

Oops! I need to change my sig. I finally got my Tungsten W!
Old 04-05-2003, 06:12 AM   #13
Trucido
Trucido began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally posted by Alexander
There is also a Windows shareware app called PDF2HTML at

http://www.verypdf.com/pdf2htm/index.html

Curious how that one performs though.
I have tried this one. The results is not that great with lots of mis-alignment.
Trucido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2003, 05:29 PM   #14
daught
Enthusiast
daught knows what time it isdaught knows what time it isdaught knows what time it isdaught knows what time it isdaught knows what time it isdaught knows what time it isdaught knows what time it isdaught knows what time it isdaught knows what time it isdaught knows what time it isdaught knows what time it is

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by macrotor
Got pdftohtml to work on MacOS X! And it's free! I'll need a little time to set up the instructions. Wow, it does the graphics and everything. Woo hoo!
Way to go, Jim! Please keep us OS Xers informed on your progress!

Gary
daught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2003, 04:19 PM   #15
BasilC
Zealot
BasilC is on a distinguished road

Device: Palm Tungsten T3
Quote:
Originally posted by Alexander
Gemini Solo looks REALLY good. There is a crippled demo available at http://www.iceni.com/downloadSet.html

What is really nice that Gemini automatically identifies multicolumn texts and generates a single-flowed text from it. Very nice for reading on the PDA.

Gemini seems also very fast from what I can tell after my first few tests.
It ought to be really good - it costs £159!
BasilC is offline   Reply With Quote