Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 01-16-2015, 08:18 AM   #1
burnafterreading
Groupie
burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Arc7HD/10HD, smartphones
deleted subscriptions?

so, i made one change in my profile (change default subscription for threads in which i post from "weekly" to "no notification"), and for some reason it proceeded to delete nearly every thread subscription that i had. i used to have 1.5 pages worth of subscribed threads, and now i have only 7 threads.

what the!? is there a bug somewhere? i subscribe to threads, but hate emails telling me what happened - i come to the site to get myself up to date.

is there a record of my subscriptions that some admin can restore? some were specific to device tweaks and ones in which i didn't post so there's no easy way to re-find them.

burnafterreading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 06:40 PM   #2
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
It's not a bug. It's a feature...
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2015, 03:33 PM   #3
burnafterreading
Groupie
burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
It's not a bug. It's a feature...
if you have no actual solution, don't post.
Old 01-18-2015, 07:13 AM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnafterreading View Post
so, i made one change in my profile (change default subscription for threads in which i post from "weekly" to "no notification"), and for some reason it proceeded to delete nearly every thread subscription that i had. i used to have 1.5 pages worth of subscribed threads, and now i have only 7 threads.
I've not seen this behaviour myself (although I turned off the default notification long ago). Are you sure they're gone? Have you gone to the 'List Subscriptions' section of your user control panel?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 11:09 AM   #5
burnafterreading
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I've not seen this behaviour myself (although I turned off the default notification long ago). Are you sure they're gone? Have you gone to the 'List Subscriptions' section of your user control panel?
yup, quite sure. i typically just go to User CP and then View All Subscribed Threads, but List Subs from the left side column results in the same thing. oddly enough it deleted everything after 12-28 and possibly some stuff from before 12-28 but whatever the case may be aside from recent activity the only stuff that was left was 12-28 or older.
Advert
Old 01-18-2015, 11:10 AM   #6
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I'll ask Alex to take a look.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 06:08 AM   #7
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Apologies for the inconvenience. I am not sure what happened - perhaps some rare race condition in the code that triggered the deletion of the subscriptions. The only time we do delete subscriptions is when we receive specific spam complaints from Gmail, Hotmail & Co. related to a user clicking the spam button when receiving subscription emails.

Quote:
is there a record of my subscriptions that some admin can restore? some were specific to device tweaks and ones in which i didn't post so there's no easy way to re-find them.
I will see to fetch you the data from an earlier backup and contact you then.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 08:22 AM   #8
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

burnafterreading, please check your subscribed threads list. I restored it from a backup and merged it with your current list. I hope it's all looking OK now.

Best,
Alex
Old 01-21-2015, 08:40 AM   #9
burnafterreading
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
burnafterreading, please check your subscribed threads list. I restored it from a backup and merged it with your current list. I hope it's all looking OK now.

Best,
Alex
wonderful, thank you alex! yup, everything is back now, 3 pages worth of content!

Old 01-21-2015, 10:52 AM   #10
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnafterreading View Post
wonderful, thank you alex! yup, everything is back now, 3 pages worth of content!

Old 01-24-2015, 11:31 PM   #11
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
On a possibly totally unrelated note, though the effects are somewhat similar -- I have subscribed to the Calibre ==> Editor subforum, and at random intervals it will unsubscribe (as far as I can tell, I have not done anything to change anything) and I have to resubscribe. This has happened to me three times so far (going back into the depths of my memory).

Any idea why this might happen? Not a tremendously big deal, since at least I can remember it to restore... just weird.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 05:37 AM   #12
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Any idea why this might happen? Not a tremendously big deal, since at least I can remember it to restore... just weird.
It shouldn't happen. Will look into it.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:58 AM   #13
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Thanks.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 03:21 PM   #14
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
At least you didn't have to re-explain things to a person each time eschwartz. When I switched colleges back in the 90's I got a call about paying back my loan since I was out of school. I explained that I was still in school and just switched campus's. Months go by and I get another call about the same thing from another person. I explained it again and months go by and I get another call from another person at the same institution. etc. I must have done it a good half dozen times before they realized I was still in college. Of course computers have their own logic as to why they do things too but at least they make more sense than other human beings sometimes do.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 04:31 PM   #15
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
At least you didn't have to re-explain things to a person each time eschwartz. When I switched colleges back in the 90's I got a call about paying back my loan since I was out of school. I explained that I was still in school and just switched campus's. Months go by and I get another call about the same thing from another person. I explained it again and months go by and I get another call from another person at the same institution. etc. I must have done it a good half dozen times before they realized I was still in college. Of course computers have their own logic as to why they do things too but at least they make more sense than other human beings sometimes do.
Maybe but many things computers do make no sense at all (dumb programmers perhaps) but at least they are generally more consistent that humans are.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote