Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 09-09-2011, 01:39 PM   #1
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Ermine Update Files for Edge and Pocket Edge

From the looks of things it appears that the Entourage website is history. Which means the links to the Ermine updates from Entourage are history as well. For all new owners, here are some instructions on how to update your device.

Be aware that Entourage released the 2.2 update as a Beta only. The Beta is fairly polished for the Pocket Edge and has minor issues on some full size Edges. Most Edge owners, including myself, will tell you it is worth doing. I own three Edges, 2 PEs and and an EE and all three have the Ermine update. On the PE the update is practically flawless. On some EEs (not all) the update can cause hibernation, camera, and browser issues.

After you install the update check out the Resources for New Edge and Pocket Edge Owners Sticky to quickly get the most out of your device. Have fun.

To install the update:

1. Download the Ermine Update file for Edge or Pocket Edge. I strongly recommend you download the update via a PC. The update is 144 MB and will take a little time to download.

Pocket Edge: http://www.4shared.com/file/svMkSPUp...ineupdate.html

Edge: http://www.4shared.com/file/mtwbUuma...ineupdate.html

2. Rename the file: update.zip
3. Place this file in the root (not a subdirectory) of a USB stick OR an SD card formatted FAT32.
4. Verify your Edge/Pocket Edge is OFF.
5. Insert the USB stick into a USB port on the device OR insert the SD card into the SD slot.
6. While holding down the MENU and ROTATE buttons on the LCD side of the device, slide or press the POWER switch. Do NOT release the MENU and ROTATE buttons.
7. CONTINUE to hold the MENU and ROTATE buttons down.
8. After about 1 minute or less you should see an "Updating software" splash screen at which point you can release the MENU and ROTATE buttons.
9. After about 5 minutes or less the device will reboot and will be running the Ermine BETA build.

If you do not like Ermine you can downgrade back to Dingo 1.6. The procedure is exactly the same as above.

Pocket Edge Dingo 1.6: http://www.4shared.com/file/fCBygbcg...16_update.html

Edge Dingo 1.6: http://www.edge.ympsa.com/restorefac...fullsizeEE.zip

Last edited by obsessed2; 09-09-2011 at 04:39 PM.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 03:17 PM   #2
dpeakeable
dpeakeable began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket eDGe
obsessed2, this is the greatest thing you are doing for all us new Pe and EE owners. I downloaded the file and saved your instructions on my laptop. Now I need instructions on how to find, back-up, and save my Dingo file in case something goes wrong. Thank you so much for all the work you are putting in to help others.
dpeakeable is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2011, 03:35 PM   #3
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpeakeable View Post
obsessed2, this is the greatest thing you are doing for all us new Pe and EE owners. I downloaded the file and saved your instructions on my laptop. Now I need instructions on how to find, back-up, and save my Dingo file in case something goes wrong. Thank you so much for all the work you are putting in to help others.
Thanks. I have links for the Dingo 1.6 PE and EE updates. The EE link is to an external site because uploads on my 4share account is limited to 200 MB. The EE update is 221 MB. I'll upload the EE update later to my Dropbox and link directly to it.

Last edited by obsessed2; 09-09-2011 at 04:29 PM.
Old 09-09-2011, 03:46 PM   #4
wallen
wallen began at the beginning.

Device: pocket edge dual book
thank you obsessed!
wallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 04:17 PM   #5
dpeakeable

I'm headed that way. Thanks again I need so much help on learning this PE.
Advert
Old 09-09-2011, 07:28 PM   #6
dpeakeable

Do I need to unzip the Ermine Update file before putting it on the USB stick? I know,I know, I can see you just shakeing your head at this one. Sorry to be so dumb.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:29 PM   #7
obsessed2
Wizard

Quote:
Do I need to unzip the Ermine Update file before putting it on the USB stick? I know,I know, I can see you just shakeing your head at this one. Sorry to be so dumb.
You don't unzip the file. Just rename it update.zip and proceed to Step 3. BTW, I'm not shaking my head because there is no such thing as a dumb question when it comes to the Edge. Just ask and chances are someone on here is going to answer it. The Edge community are good people. We're not here to belittle anyone or make them feel dumb.
Old 09-10-2011, 12:09 AM   #8
dpeakeable

Ok I tried it again and it went right in, my guess I wasn't holding the buttons now long enough. Thank you for all the help, now to try to get some new apps :-)
Old 09-10-2011, 08:48 PM   #9
obsessed2
Wizard

Quote:
Ok I tried it again and it went right in, my guess I wasn't holding the buttons now long enough. Thank you for all the help, now to try to get some new apps :-)
Good deal. Glad everything turned out OK. Enjoy.
Old 09-11-2011, 05:13 PM   #10
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocket Edgex2(1unborked), Alex, Nook B&W, Nook Color, Nook STR
ALL YOU NEED TO DO IS READ THE STICKIES. EVERYTHING IS THERE WITH LINKS OUTSIDE THE ENTOURAGE.
vicinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 03:14 PM   #11
jorgeignacio2000
jorgeignacio2000 began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge
Your valuable opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed2 View Post
Thanks. I have links for the Dingo 1.6 PE and EE updates. The EE link is to an external site because uploads on my 4share account is limited to 200 MB. The EE update is 221 MB. I'll upload the EE update later to my Dropbox and link directly to it.
Do you consider I can buy this Entourage Pocket Edge (For reasonable price of US 109 NEW) and I DONT WASTE MY MONEY ???? Upgrading it ???

Thanks
Jorge
jorgeignacio2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:34 PM   #12
obsessed2
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgeignacio2000 View Post
Do you consider I can buy this Entourage Pocket Edge (For reasonable price of US 109 NEW) and I DONT WASTE MY MONEY ???? Upgrading it ???

Thanks
Jorge

That's a personal choice, but for $109 you get a decent tablet and an excellent e-reader. It is upgradeable to Android 2.2 although it is a Beta release. If you are looking for a tablet to play games the PE isn't for you. However, if you enjoy reading and are looking for a tablet that will help you be more organized and productive the PE could be for you.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:24 PM   #13
tedr
tedr began at the beginning.

Device: entourage pocket edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed2 View Post
From the looks of things it appears that the Entourage website is history. Which means the links to the Ermine updates from Entourage are history as well. For all new owners, here are some instructions on how to update your device.

Be aware that Entourage released the 2.2 update as a Beta only. The Beta is fairly polished for the Pocket Edge and has minor issues on some full size Edges. Most Edge owners, including myself, will tell you it is worth doing. I own three Edges, 2 PEs and and an EE and all three have the Ermine update. On the PE the update is practically flawless. On some EEs (not all) the update can cause hibernation, camera, and browser issues.

After you install the update check out the Resources for New Edge and Pocket Edge Owners Sticky to quickly get the most out of your device. Have fun.

To install the update:

1. Download the Ermine Update file for Edge or Pocket Edge. I strongly recommend you download the update via a PC. The update is 144 MB and will take a little time to download.

Pocket Edge: http://www.4shared.com/file/svMkSPUp...ineupdate.html

Edge: http://www.4shared.com/file/mtwbUuma...ineupdate.html

2. Rename the file: update.zip
3. Place this file in the root (not a subdirectory) of a USB stick OR an SD card formatted FAT32.
4. Verify your Edge/Pocket Edge is OFF.
5. Insert the USB stick into a USB port on the device OR insert the SD card into the SD slot.
6. While holding down the MENU and ROTATE buttons on the LCD side of the device, slide or press the POWER switch. Do NOT release the MENU and ROTATE buttons.
7. CONTINUE to hold the MENU and ROTATE buttons down.
8. After about 1 minute or less you should see an "Updating software" splash screen at which point you can release the MENU and ROTATE buttons.
9. After about 5 minutes or less the device will reboot and will be running the Ermine BETA build.

If you do not like Ermine you can downgrade back to Dingo 1.6. The procedure is exactly the same as above.

Pocket Edge Dingo 1.6: http://www.4shared.com/file/fCBygbcg...16_update.html

Edge Dingo 1.6: http://www.edge.ympsa.com/restorefac...fullsizeEE.zip
I am a new owner of a pocket edge (Woot deal). I downloaded the file listed in your post
and followed directions. I had the message not to shut down that software was updating. When the edge rebooted it just hangs in the startup initialzing mode with four lights lit under pocket edge. Any suggestions what to do?
tedr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 06:01 PM   #14
obsessed2
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedr View Post
I am a new owner of a pocket edge (Woot deal). I downloaded the file listed in your post
and followed directions. I had the message not to shut down that software was updating. When the edge rebooted it just hangs in the startup initialzing mode with four lights lit under pocket edge. Any suggestions what to do?
First try resetting the eDGe by using a straight paper clip and pressing the reset (next to the USB port) IF the eDGe does not complete booting after a reasonable amount of time.

If this doesn't help try downgrading back to Dingo 1.6 and then download another update file and try again. You have to remember you are updating firmware and under perfect conditions it will work 100 percent of the time. Unfortunately this is not always the case and it may have to be attempted again. Please check my Resource Sticky for alternate download links and updated instructions which better verifies the media used in performing the upgrade and is almost foolproof when renaming the update. However, it doesn't sound like you had a problem renaming it. Also, it is best that your USB drive or SD card is empty when you perform the upgrade. Best of luck and I'm sure everything will turn out OK.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132878

Last edited by obsessed2; 09-28-2011 at 06:25 PM.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:04 PM   #15
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Hi tedr, welcome to the forum!

First, are you sure the PE has finished booting/installing? It can take quite a while.

Second, you might want to read through a few of the following threads to see what other updaters have encountered:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=134237
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132878

These are long posts, and the origins can be outdated -- you might want to start at the end.

Edit: Well darn! Luckily for you, Obsessed beat me to it, with more and better help!

There's more info available if you need it. Let us know!

Last edited by Filark; 09-28-2011 at 06:07 PM.
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote