Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-17-2013, 05:21 PM   #61
spellbanisher
Guru
spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle keyboard, kindle fire hd, S4, Nook hd+
My first ereader was an Ebookwise 1150. I still have it but haven't used it in so long that the battery is probably dead.

My second ereader was the original kindle. It was destroyed in a freak accident.

My third ereader was a kindle keyboard. A few months ago half the screen simply froze.

While i owned the kindle keyboard i also had an original nook and a nook touch. I left the original nook in the backseat of a rental car and gave the touch to my mom.

Currently, i have no dedicated eink reader. I briefly had a nook tablet and currently have a kindle fire hd.

Last edited by spellbanisher; 08-18-2013 at 11:53 PM.
spellbanisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 10:23 PM   #62
Synergi
Addict
Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, iPadPro, Galaxy Note 5, 8 (tab) & Galaxy Tab S3
Kindle 1, gave away when I got...
Kindle Keyboard. Still have that for larger storage and TTS..
Kindle PW, still have.. Thinking of selling ahead of the new models coming..
Nook Color, sold that to get...
Kindle Fire 1st... Traded back to Amazon and used the credit towards...
Kindle Fire HD... Selling that as its been replaced by..
Galaxy Note 8.0..with readers hub, I can write with my pen within the margins of books. Been waiting a ling time to be able to do that..

Last edited by Synergi; 08-17-2013 at 10:25 PM.
Synergi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 11:22 PM   #63
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakyspider View Post
How do you use your Nook to listen to audible books, if I might ask? I tried to find a "Audible" app for the Nook, but I couldn't find one. I figured that it was because Audible was associated with Amazon.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...le.application
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 01:39 AM   #64
magicmonster
Groupie
magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color, & Dell Axim X50v
search for audible in the play store
magicmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 01:51 AM   #65
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
My first reader was the Sony PRS-350 which I absolutely love and still use, so much that I now have several, I'll never be without one.

And about 4 months ago I broke down and bought a Kobo Glo for the light. Love the light on it, I think it's the best light out of them all at this point. But in all other areas, the 350 excels.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:38 AM   #66
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Kindle Keyboard - But the screen exploded in one little area, so I don't use it anymore.
Kindle Fire - Gave it to my dad.
iPad Mini - My last one for now.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:45 AM   #67
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Hmmm... for some of these I've had more than one.

Sony Clie SL-10
Sony Clie SJ-20
Sony Clie SJ-30
(The SJ-20 was the best of that bunch. A very clear reflective Mono TFT LCD.)

iPod Touch
Nokia 7710
iPhone 3G

Bookeen CyBook
Kindle 2i
Bookeen Cybook Opus
Nook Simpletouch Glowlight

And possibly one or two I've forgotten!
The last is my current ebook reader.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:37 AM   #68
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Palm Vx
HTC Wizard
...some other smartphones...
Nokia N800
Bookeen Cybook Gen3
Bebook One
Kindle DXG (2x)
Kobo Aura HD

I still have the last two, and use the Kobo almost exclusively.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 04:46 PM   #69
sneakyspider
Ereader Addicts Anonymous
sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (2)KO2, PW7thGen., KT2, iPadMini1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Thanks.
sneakyspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 05:11 PM   #70
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Kindle 1 which I bought on launch day but not fast enough to avoid waiting a couple months to get it.
Kindle Keyboard
Kindle Paperwhite

Basically, I upgraded every time they improved the screen quality. They were all in good condition when I upgraded. The buttons on the K1 were getting a little mushy, but it still worked.

I've also done the tablet thing. I prefer them when I'm reading tech books. I flip around a lot and the diagrams, tables, etc. are usually easier to read on the larger screen. It's also my cookbook. I clip a lot of recipes to Evernote.

Asus Transformer (dead)
Nexus 7 (still my primary tablet)

My husband:
Kindle 1
Kindle DX
iPad & iPad Mini

I borrow the Mini quite often. I find the full sized iPad and my old Transformer were a bit cumbersome. The Nexus 7 and the Mini are nice and light but still give me plenty of space. My husband is the opposite. The bigger the better. He's rather peeved that Amazon didn't continue with the larger format.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 03:50 AM   #71
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
I started out with the Sony 505. Really didn't like it, so then I moved up to the Irex 800. I started reading the newspaper on the Irex but it is slow and you have to connect it to a PC to load it every morning. After I got my old HP Touchpad I used that for newspapers and magazines and the Irex for reading books.

Then my Irex developed some screen problems and I got a special price Kindle DX. While the Kindle DX is nice enough (I really couldn't see myself going back to a 5" or 6" screen) it is just too heavy to be comfortable and it doesn't have Wifi, and no touch screen.

So lately I upgraded again --- I had to get a new PC and liked the idea of a PC tablet, so I got the new 13" Sony Vaio Duo which takes care of all my PC and tablet needs. Great for newspapers and magazines. And when Kobe started selling the Aura HD I jumped at the chance of getting a front-lit e-ink reader, finally something bigger than 6" again. Though I still consider the 8" of the Irex to be the perfect e-ink size. Still small and light enough, but with a considerably larger screen area. My guess is that I am set for quite a while now.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:04 AM   #72
DStyle
Connoisseur
DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.

Device: KOBO Aura HD
I have non. Waiting for Kobo and Amazon (hopefully Sony too) to announce their new e-readers soon. If nothing suits me, I will go for Aura HD.
DStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:39 AM   #73
lioslaith
Zealot
lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505, Kindle, Kobo Vox/Glo, Nook
I'm trying to get them in order and not overlook any. I've included those I bought for my Mum as well as I'm the eReader buying addict here. By the way ... is there a therapy yet for this?

I still own, or rather we still own, all these devices and all bar a couple work perfectly fine still. Touch wood!!

eReaders:

Sony 505 (mine/ours)
Elonex EB600 (Mum) bought so I could get my Sony back.
Kindle Keyboard (3rd Gen) both wifi and wifi/3G (3G mine)
Kobo Touch (Mum) - starting not to recognize micro sd cards.
Kindle Touch (Mum borrowed)
Kobo Glo (Mine - now Mums)
Kindle Paperwhite
Nook ST w/glowlight
Kobo Aura (mine)
Elonex 621EB (Mum - replacement for original)
Ectaco JetBook Lite (mine)
Sony T2 (mine)

Tablets/Others:

Palm IIIc (first 'eReader' device) - still own and works when I can find the right cables for newer PCs.

Imagine (5" tablet/reader - Mum) battery beg. to die.
Kobo Vox (still own but don't use - newer apps not working b/c of age of android installed)
iPad (3rd Gen Retina) - use this for more mags than books.
Google Nexus 7 (2012 - mine)
Nook HD - this is my default tablet type reader.

I can - at a pinch - read on a backlit screen but it tires my eyes and I prefer the eInk displays for reading text. Also less disturbances/interruptions. I'm easily distracted so cant seem to dive right *into* a book on a multi device like a tablet ... and also the eyes problem backlit screens give me.

I think that's them all now. For now at least.
lioslaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:38 AM   #74
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Lessee, some are listed, but to be compleat:

- Newton MessagePad 110
- Fujitsu Stylistic 2300 (w/ a CF-IDE adapter, this was dead silent and cool)
- Sony PRS-505 (we got it and a Kindle 1 at work, and I picked the Sony since it would fit in a shirt pocket)
- Fujitsu Stylistic ST-4121 (it has an IDE drive, but the graphics card and CPU make it run a bit hotter than the 2300 --- has a daylight viewable display though, so gets used as a mapreader when travelling)
- Sony PRS-600

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:00 PM   #75
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Nook Color
Sony T1
Kindle Fire
Kindle Paperwhite
Nook HD+

I still use the T1 and Paperwhite for the majority of my reading. I have started using the HD+ to read some non-fiction books because I can read maps a lot easier on it. The Paperwhite is my favorite reader, but if Sony comes out with an updated reader with a front light, I will get that. I'm going to update my PW as well.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote