Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-09-2019, 07:34 AM   #1
ant_gamal
ant_gamal began at the beginning.

Device: none
Which better on reading super Amoled or ips

I will buy tablet for reading pdf mainly also for browsing and watching videos but reading pdf is the main

So go for samsung super amoled or any brand with ips

IPad's not in my plans also e-reader not
ant_gamal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 07:55 AM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
AmOLED is mainly about more saturated colours (phosphors on the electroluminescent dots, they are not "real" LEDs, Sony calls real LED displays 'Crystal') and removing parallax error. LCDs have dye filters on the front glass of the cell, so the contrast, saturation and hue will change with larger viewing angles.
Neither of these issues matter for reading. More important is a non-reflective screen, not glossy. Glossy is cheapest and looks best in shop, illusion of "richer" colour. It's more exhausting to read and a disaster for a screen with reflected movement of people or traffic as the movement unconsciously makes eyes focus on the further away reflected image; you get a headache.

So unless you get non-reflective ambient (or front lit) eInk, LCD (of any current model) vs OLED (of any current model) doesn't matter. The OLED has shorter life than LCD as the blue dots fade and become more violet/UV coloured. That is over maybe five years. I've a 19 year old laptop LCD screen that's still perfect.

The iPad, high end Samsung and Lenovo are very overpriced. The main reason to have a tablet is to have 10" or larger to suit comics, PDF, internet and video. A less than 10" tablet is too small for PDFs. A 6" eink dedicated ereader is better than any 7" tablet for ordinary ebooks.

I only use my 10" tablet for PDFs.
Make sure screen is at least HD resolution approximately, some cheap 10" and larger tablets are same as cheap 7" screens in number of dots, i.e. like cheap digital photo frames!
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2019, 08:27 AM   #3
ant_gamal
ant_gamal began at the beginning.

Device: none
i planning to have 10 inch tablet
So i comper upcoming samsung s5e with huawei m5 10.8 or m5 lite
M5 lite is only available in my country

So wait for samsung or go for m5 lite

I use now for reading lg g6 mobile but i am not happy with the size so i think 10 inch will be good

Last edited by ant_gamal; 03-09-2019 at 08:30 AM.
ant_gamal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 10:53 AM   #4
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I do some reading on my phone, a Samsung with an AMOLED screen. My previous phone had an LCD screen the same size and resolution. My eyes are a bit sensitive so I'm limited in how long I can read without a break on either one of these but I can read longer on the AMOLED screen.

The LCD screen limits me to about 15 or 20 minutes. Then I can take a minute or two break and read another 15 or 20 minutes. If I go longer than that without a break my eyes start watering and I'm soon unable to read for a few hours.

With the AMOLED screen the same thing happens but I can manage about 25 to 30 minutes without a break.

Another benefit of AMOLED is that the blacks are darker so the contrast is a bit better. This doesn't affect me a lot but it makes reading a bit nicer. The real difference, I think, is that AMOLED doesn't have a backlight.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 12:09 PM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The real difference, I think, is that AMOLED doesn't have a backlight.
Not really. LCDs use real LED backlights. AMOLED is a light emitter. Except older TVs and laptops etc that use CCFL tubes or similar.
The real difference is eink in ambient light to direct sunlight. No lighting. If you need the front light turned on, on newer eink, the ambient light is too low for an old paperback! Handy under the blankets.
There is very little difference in contrast for modern LCDs and normal ambient lighting. It's only in a totally dark room (cinema experience on 55" TV) that you'll notice the AMOLED are totally dark blacks.

At the same screen size, reflectiveness of screen, resolution and normal ambient light, there can't be any difference between a modern LCD and AMOLED on tablet for text. Colour images can have higher saturation on the AMOLED, but that doesn't apply to reading.
Advert
Old 03-09-2019, 05:41 PM   #6
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
I have used both of LCD and AMOLED and for reading I could not justify the higher cost of AMOLED. For me video maybe yes, for reading no. If my reading was heavily dependent on high quality color images e.g. art books, then maybe I would consider AMOLED justified but doubt it.

I have used Samsung PLS displays (basically their version of IPS) for quite a number of years now with no reading issues with text and images. I just happen to use Samsung tablets, any similar display on a device from a reputable manufacturer would be fine.

Really the best thing to do is, if possible, try for oneself in a store or such place.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 06:10 PM   #7
maximus83
Nameless Being

Spendy devices with amoled are only worth it for video or graphics applications, in my experience. I own and use both types of display.

For something that's primarily a reading device you can get by with LCD or e-ink. But if you can find an affordable device with amoled built in, it certainly isn't going to hurt anything, it's a nice extra. For size, there's pretty good consensus here on MR that you want around 10" or greater of screen to read full-size PDF files--I had a thread on this just recently. E-ink tablets at that size are incredibly expensive, and incredibly underpowered vs their Android counterparts. Thus, what you you need is simply a 10" Android tablet with sufficient DPI/PPI resolution (there ARE no good Windows tablets that fit these specs other than Surface Go, and trust me, it has issues of its own; and you said Ipad is not an option for you). Generally with larger devices, "good resolution" for reading IMHO requires at least 230 PPI; less than that, and you'll see distracting fuzziness around the font edges and other details. Of course 300 PPI and above is even better, but often this gets prohibitively expensive.

Knowing what OP is looking for, from specs listed here and conversation in other threads: best call is wait for the Samsung S5e tablet. It has everything you need, and will run in the $400 to $450 US range, which is pretty affordable for a tablet with those specs.

If you can find a Huawei Medipad M5 Pro (I see them on Amazon US for $450), that's an alternative worth considering. Although, with the S5e coming shortly and with better hardware, I think it's worth waiting for. ETA, FWIW, I'll be putting my $$$ where my mouth is: I plan to get a new S5e myself, to use primarily for larger document/PDF reading tasks, media consumption, and light productivity work. It'll make a nice complement to my S10 phone, which I am loving. It too has an amoled BTW, which is gorgeous and has an entirely gratuitous but still awesome 550 PPI. :-)

Last edited by maximus83; 03-09-2019 at 06:37 PM.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:40 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
A shame that you’ve ruled out an iPad. The “GoodReader” app on the iPad is the best PDF reader on any platform in my experience (based on an awful lot of years of reading academic PDFs).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 10:49 AM   #9
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Personally, the AMOLED devices I've tried tend to give me more migraines than LCD so I've just stuck to LCD.

Makes me somewhat grateful that Apple cares too much about their profit margin so they haven't switched all their devices to AMOLED yet. I think their only AMOLED devices at the moment are their $1000+ iPhone X/XS (Max).

On Android, I don't think you have a lot of options. It seems like majority of manufacturers have given up on mid-range Android tablets and Samsung's (and maybe some Chinese brands) are the only ones left still making them.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 03-14-2019 at 10:54 AM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 11:01 AM   #10
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedReader View Post
The iPad, high end Samsung and Lenovo are very overpriced. The main reason to have a tablet is to have 10" or larger to suit comics, PDF, internet and video. A less than 10" tablet is too small for PDFs. A 6" eink dedicated ereader is better than any 7" tablet for ordinary ebooks.
One can frequently find a brand new "basic" iPad 6th gen for $250. Costs more than the Paperwhite and Clara HD but in the same ballpark as the Kindle Oasis 2 and Kobo Aura One and Forma.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:46 PM   #11
maximus83
Nameless Being

I agree with the last few posts about Ipad. If OP had not ruled it out, it would be a strong option. Specifically in the mid priced 10" tablet category, there is no better all-around tablet and bang for the buck purchase than a current Ipad 9.7 with 128GB storage. I see these for $329 in US.

I researched these recently, also played with my brother's and with the new 2018 version at Best Buy. Extremely tempted, it's hands down the best tablet hardware-wise and user experience-wise that one can get in this under $400 price range. In fact if my forthcoming S5e doesn't pan out for whatever reason, I'll throw in the towel and get the Ipad.

OP, I assume from your post that you have other reasons for avoiding Apple, such that the inherent value of the Ipad, the slick iOS user experience, and their vast app store, are not your main considerations.

That's the case for me; I have other reasons for preferring to stay all Android as my mobile OS, including easy sharing of apps and data, with my Samsung Galaxy S10 phone. And leveraging my existing, deeper experience level with Android OS and ecosystem. And the fact Android is more 'open' than Apple's ecosystem, which is really important to me. Finally, the galaxy is my favorite phone design of all time and it's unlikely I'll abandon it soon, another reason to stick with Android. In short, I don't need the best available tablet in existence. For the fairly modest uses I'll have for this tablet, like content consumption, web browsing, and streaming audio and video, all I need is a tablet with a nice high-res display, adequate storage and CPU, and full compatibility with Android 9. The S5e and some of the Huawei Mediapad M5 offerings are the best ones I've found that would do the job at this price point.
Old 03-15-2019, 03:09 PM   #12
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

There are plenty of large enough tablets good enough for PDFs at half the price of an iPad. No Apple Eco system or cloud needed. Just work as USB mass Storage. Get one 10" or larger with a decent LCD resolution and slot that takes AT LEAST 32G SD card. Most newer ones will take 64G. PDFs are often scans and very large. Similarly unless you want high performance for Web & Games there is no point in high end Samsung models. Not for PDFs.
Old 03-15-2019, 03:26 PM   #13
maximus83
Nameless Being

Quote:
There are plenty of large enough tablets good enough for PDFs at half the price of an iPad. No Apple Eco system or cloud needed. Just work as USB mass Storage. Get one 10" or larger with a decent LCD resolution and slot that takes AT LEAST 32G SD card. Most newer ones will take 64G. PDFs are often scans and very large. Similarly unless you want high performance for Web & Games there is no point in high end Samsung models. Not for PDFs.
Mostly agree with that, except one gotcha: if you want higher res Android, gotta pay the piper as in Samsung, Huawei, or.....what else in that mid range?

I notice and want the res even for reading on a tablet, so I'll go that route. I do hear others say that lower res on larger screens barely registers with them.
Old 03-15-2019, 04:15 PM   #14
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Apart from the Fire HD 10, what other high res 10" tablets are there that are still in production and in the $100-200 price range? There are plenty of things to dislike about Apple but I reckon you'd be hard pressed to find a tablet with hardware as good as the basic iPad in the $250-400 price range never mind half the price.

Also, for letter and A4, I believe the 4:3 aspect ratio of the iPad is better suited.

Display Dimensions -> Fit to Screen Size of Letter PDF

Letter
8.5" x 11"

iPad 9.7"
5.8" x 7.8" -> 5.8" x 7.5"

Android 10.1" 1920x1200
5.4" x 8.6" -> 5.4" x 7"

I know the difference doesn't look like much. However, I've owned an Asus TF700 and retina iPads and the disparity in size combined with the iPad's higher pixel density has made all the difference in legibility. I can read PDFs without zooming on the 9.7" iPad while the same documents often require lots of zooming and panning on the Asus. Videos though, the Asus was so much better.
Old 03-15-2019, 08:16 PM   #15
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I bought a Galaxy Tab A 10" for $250 about a year ago. It's cheaper than that without the S Pen but I wanted something for drawing.

Then I began seeing reviews of Procreate on the Ipad and it's not available on Android so I paid $330 plus $100 for the Ipad Pencil. As it turns out I like Procreate about as much as I like the drawing app I use on Android. So they're really about equal.

The pixel density on the Ipad is higher but on that small a screen I can rarely tell the difference in use. I can find ways to compare them and highlight the difference but they have no real effect on anything I do. The speakers are better on the Ipad but not much better. Both are excellent.

There are a number of small issues with the Ipad for me. I used the podcast app it came with to download a podcast and now it just starts playing all by itself a few times a week. I've removed the podcast. That didn't help. I removed the app. That didn't help. I've learned to live with it.

I find the S Pen slightly more comfortable than the Ipad pencil but there's not much difference. On the other hand the Bluetooth connection on the Ipad Pencil constantly has to be repaired. I don't have any issue of that kind with the S Pen. Nor do I have to remember to charge the S Pen

I don't use either of these for reading books but I do read a comic book on them both from time to time. The aspect ratio is a bit better for comics on the Ipad but far better for videos on the Samsung.

Also I have a 128 gig micro SD card in the Samsung which at that time cost about $35. it's $20 today. The Ipad has 32 gig. That's enough if I'm careful but I wish I'd paid $100 more for the 128 gig model so I wouldn't have to be so careful.

In short the two tablets are very close to being equal for my purposes and the Ipad and the Pencil cost nearly twice as much. I can't really say I'm sorry I got it but I would have been happier if I'd gotten a second Samsung.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote