Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-22-2019, 07:59 PM   #61
Shad Plante
Groupie
Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 6th Gen Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
On the other hand, the send to kindle app on my Mac is refusing to send .azw3, its only accepting mobi (I want to be able to sync between kindle and phone app) and mobi seems to be the only way to do it.
You need to convert to either new or dual format mobis. The dual format mobi has both a traditional mobi file and an AZW file in it. Your device will then download the appropriate one. You get most of the best of both worlds (no cover images though in the library view).
Shad Plante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 12:31 PM   #62
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
On the other hand, the send to kindle app on my Mac is refusing to send .azw3, its only accepting mobi (I want to be able to sync between kindle and phone app) and mobi seems to be the only way to do it.
I do the send-to-kindle for my sister, who has a PPW4 (10th generation) and they only accept mobi. If she needed specialized font sizes, I'd have to send her the .azw3 file via Dropbox and then she could transfer to her reader. Fortunately, the standard font sizes are fine for her, so have not needed this. There is no advantage to .azw3 on her Kindle Touch.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 02:05 PM   #63
Shad Plante
Groupie
Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 6th Gen Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
I do the send-to-kindle for my sister, who has a PPW4 (10th generation) and they only accept mobi. If she needed specialized font sizes, I'd have to send her the .azw3 file via Dropbox and then she could transfer to her reader. Fortunately, the standard font sizes are fine for her, so have not needed this. There is no advantage to .azw3 on her Kindle Touch.
FYI, a dual format mobi could be used with send to Kindle and would be able to send the appropriate file to the Kindle Touch and the Paperwhite. The font options would then be available on the Paperwhite.
Shad Plante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 02:17 PM   #64
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
There is no advantage to .azw3 on her Kindle Touch.
Why do you say that? AZW3 is capable of far better formatting than Mobi.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 02:26 PM   #65
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
If you take an epub, change the extension to .txt (or .png), then drop it on the Send-to-Kindle app, Amazon will automatically convert it to a dual-format .mobi that delivers azw3 to your Kindle.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 09:18 PM   #66
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
If you take an epub, change the extension to .txt (or .png), then drop it on the Send-to-Kindle app, Amazon will automatically convert it to a dual-format .mobi that delivers azw3 to your Kindle.
Woohoo! Thanks for that tip, it saves having extra formats on my drive.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 09:33 PM   #67
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Ahh... Thanks for the explanation on how to do it. That would great!

Shad Plante - thanks for the explanation on how it works!

Harry, I can easily open azw3 on older kindles, but they don't feature the additional font options available in the newer models. That's why I say there is no advantage.

Last edited by Tarana; 03-23-2019 at 09:41 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 12:40 AM   #68
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Quote:
This is my favorite way to transfer ebooks to my Kindles, and it simplifies storage immensely
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 03:38 PM   #69
maximus83
Nameless Being

Originally Posted by kyteflyer

Originally Posted by Tarana

Quote:
This is my favorite way to transfer ebooks to my Kindles, and it simplifies storage immensely
Right on! Seems like such a simple tip, but when somebody pointed that out to me recently it became a huge time saver. This should be part of a sticky post in the Kindle forum: The top 10 tips every new Kindle owner should know (that are not in the owners manual :-) ).
Old 03-24-2019, 03:42 PM   #70
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
Originally Posted by kyteflyer

Originally Posted by Tarana

Right on! Seems like such a simple tip, but when somebody pointed that out to me recently it became a huge time saver. This should be part of a sticky post in the Kindle forum: The top 10 tips every new Kindle owner should know (that are not in the owners manual :-) ).
If you hit the button to the right of the quote button, you can quote multiple posts.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
azw, kindle, mobi