Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Related Tools

Notices

Old 01-30-2017, 10:19 AM   #16
wakkaday
Groupie
wakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kindle Oasis
can you pleaase guide me how to do this on my qnap

the principal would be similar? i want to use my existing library which is on my nas

thanks
wakkaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 11:41 PM   #17
mjg
mjg began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakkaday View Post
can you pleaase guide me how to do this on my qnap

the principal would be similar? i want to use my existing library which is on my nas

thanks
So I checked and QNAP does have Docker (They call it container station.) You should probably check out their documentation or support forums for getting it up and running, but once you have docker installed you should be able to use the exact same pack mentioned here.

Edit: PS, if you want to send me a QNAP that supports containerstation with a couple drives, I would be more than happy to put together a guide for you!

Last edited by mjg; 02-03-2017 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Added PS
mjg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 05:09 AM   #18
iostrym
Connoisseur
iostrym began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Hi all,

Juste to be sure that I have correctly understood the finality of this.

the goal is to have a calibre running in the synology nas and to be able to have several people that could use it.

but what is the client ?

a calibre Pc windows ? or do people need synology session and launch a calibre GUi in the nas ?
iostrym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 04:11 AM   #19
magphil
Connoisseur
magphil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!magphil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!magphil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!magphil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!magphil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!magphil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!magphil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!magphil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!magphil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!magphil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!magphil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Gen3, Kobo glow
Hello,

I have installed calibre on docker.
All works find and I can get the gui

BUT, when calibre is started, HDs no longer hibernate. Is this normal ?

If I were to install calibre directly on the synology without docker, would it also prevent hibernation ?

And when install directly on the synology, how do you access the gui ?

Thanks
magphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 05:47 PM   #20
BeerBoyUK
BeerBoyUK began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600 & Sony PRS-T3
Hello Danfozzy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danfozzy View Post
right, ive sussed some so it lol

not had chance to play with the server yet, trying to get the program right first.
Did you ever get the server for the client working? When I try to connect using my ebook reader, alll I see is 'No books found'. Are there any additional settings that need to be made?

Last edited by BeerBoyUK; 05-20-2017 at 05:50 PM. Reason: I was drunk at original posting and forgot a few words
BeerBoyUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 06:31 PM   #21
tweety
Enthusiast
tweety ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tweety ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tweety ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tweety ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tweety ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tweety ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tweety ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tweety ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tweety ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tweety ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tweety ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Well getting the GUI to work was straight forward on the QNAP, but I still haven't got the Server working, I'm assuming it's the lack of the config.
tweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 06:35 PM   #22
davers
Connoisseur
davers is kind to children and small, furry animalsdavers is kind to children and small, furry animalsdavers is kind to children and small, furry animalsdavers is kind to children and small, furry animalsdavers is kind to children and small, furry animalsdavers is kind to children and small, furry animalsdavers is kind to children and small, furry animalsdavers is kind to children and small, furry animalsdavers is kind to children and small, furry animalsdavers is kind to children and small, furry animalsdavers is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Sony Dark Blue 505
Has anyone figured out if you are able to access the Calibre gui? If not, why do this as opposed to just putting your ebooks in a folder and pointing your Calibre to that folder?

Thanks!

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by magphil View Post
Hello,

I have installed calibre on docker.
All works find and I can get the gui

BUT, when calibre is started, HDs no longer hibernate. Is this normal ?

If I were to install calibre directly on the synology without docker, would it also prevent hibernation ?

And when install directly on the synology, how do you access the gui ?

Thanks
davers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 01:25 PM   #23
cd2013
Connoisseur
cd2013 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by iostrym View Post
the goal is to have a calibre running in the synology nas and to be able to have several people that could use it.

but what is the client ?

a calibre Pc windows ? or do people need synology session and launch a calibre GUi in the nas ?
I appreciate the thread is old, but I have the very same question! You have a server on the NAS, but what do you use as client? Also, can you connect an ereader via USB to a client running on a PC? Or would the ereader need to be connected via USB directly to the NAS?
cd2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 01:40 AM   #24
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by cd2013 View Post
I appreciate the thread is old, but I have the very same question! You have a server on the NAS, but what do you use as client? Also, can you connect an ereader via USB to a client running on a PC? Or would the ereader need to be connected via USB directly to the NAS?
On PC, you use web browser to access Calibre webUI.
On my Kindle, I use Kindle builtin web browser to access Calibre webui and download ebooks from there
For reader app which supports opds, I use Moon+Reader, you can go into the Net Library to set up Calibre access via opds link.

Last edited by bthoven; 02-27-2019 at 02:02 AM.
bthoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 08:03 PM   #25
Villax
Villax began at the beginning.

Device: Oneplus 6T
Still lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthoven View Post

and do the setup before running it.
This is where I fall apart! I have my Library on my Synology server, in a folder called Library and a sub folder Ebooks. I used Calibre in Windows 10 to create the library there.

I cannot figure out where to go from here. Docker is installed, image is downloaded and installed, container created.

How do I see if it is working? What address do I use to access it from the internet? Been trying to figure this out all week! I want to be able to set Moon Reader + to see it as a net library and have friends use it as well.

Thanks for any help!
Villax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 04:25 AM   #26
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villax View Post
This is where I fall apart! I have my Library on my Synology server, in a folder called Library and a sub folder Ebooks. I used Calibre in Windows 10 to create the library there.

I cannot figure out where to go from here. Docker is installed, image is downloaded and installed, container created.

How do I see if it is working? What address do I use to access it from the internet? Been trying to figure this out all week! I want to be able to set Moon Reader + to see it as a net library and have friends use it as well.

Thanks for any help!

Hi,

If you already have your existing calibre ebook library and want to use it for Calibre in Synology Docker, you have to map your existing ebook library to Calibre Docker in Syno by going into the Volume tab (see screenshot attached), click "add folder", under File/Folder column, search and select your existing ebook library folder (for me, it is a shared folder named "Calibre_Library" in my Synology); then under "Mount Path" column, you name a folder name you want (any name) starting with "/"; then save.

When you first run your Calibre in Docker (see which port to use below), it will start with Calibre setup wizard and it will ask you where your ebook library is located, click browse, you will see "nobody/Calibre…" folder, you need to click the arrow up icon till you see the root directory; then you will see the folder name you mount earlier, choose it. Calibre will then use your existing ebook library.

Now, how can you access the full Calibre gui from browser:
- After you start the Calibre container, go into the "Details" page of the container, it will show you 3 port mapping numbers (see my attached screenshot). Usually, you need to know 2 of the 3 port numbers, i.e. 8080 (Full Calibre GUI) and 8081(Calibre content server for OPDS in your Moon+Reader Net Library). My example, 32775 is mapped to 8080, 32274 to 8081 (you may have different external port numbers of 3xxxxx)

- to access full Calibre GUI, in your internet browser, type 192.168.x.x:32275, it will display a menu for you to choose Calibre to run; then you will find the Calibre setup wizard. Choose your existing ebook library as explained earlier.

- before you can access you Calibre content server, you have to change from port number 8080 to 8081 in the content server setup page inside the Calibre GUI.

- As the external ports 3xxxxx above will change every time your synology restart, you have to fix the external port number. You can go into the Port Settings tab (in Calibre container) and change them. For me, I change them from Auto to 3389, 4001, and 4002 (see my attached screenshot).

- I think you know how to set the port forwarding in your router so that you can access your Calibre from public internet.

Please let me know if you need further clarification.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LibraryMap.PNG
Views:	1010
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	170242   Click image for larger version

Name:	Port.PNG
Views:	932
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	170243   Click image for larger version

Name:	8081.PNG
Views:	907
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	170244   Click image for larger version

Name:	Port_fixed.PNG
Views:	860
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	170245  

Last edited by bthoven; 03-16-2019 at 05:07 AM.
Old 03-21-2019, 10:12 PM   #27
Villax

Thanks so much! I got much further along! I got the calibre gui up and running, but it can't see my library. If I try to create a new one, it won't allow it. I get

OSError: [Errno13] Permission denied

I have tried changing permissions etc, nothing worked. I can create the one they default to in /Nobody/Calibre, but can't figure out where the hell that one is!

Thank you for your amazing reply! It helped a lot!
Old 03-21-2019, 11:48 PM   #28
bthoven
Evangelist

Quote:
Thanks so much! I got much further along! I got the calibre gui up and running, but it can't see my library. If I try to create a new one, it won't allow it. I get

I have tried changing permissions etc, nothing worked. I can create the one they default to in /Nobody/Calibre, but can't figure out where the hell that one is!

Thank you for your amazing reply! It helped a lot!
Hi Villax,

Glad you have good progress. I attached screenshot of my Calibre_Library permission for your reference. Not sure it could help.

If you can't see your existing library, perhaps you did not setup the "Volume" tab in Calibre docker as I explained in my previous reply (I reattached the screenshot here). You have to do the mapping so that Calibre docker can see your library (outside docker environment). If you do the mapping right, when you run Calibre GUI and it opens 'nobody' by default, you should be able to see your existing library; or you may need to go up another directory level.

Let me know if you need further clarification.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Calibre_Library_mapping.PNG
Views:	802
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	170321   Click image for larger version

Name:	Calibre_Library_permission.PNG
Views:	745
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	170322   Click image for larger version

Name:	Calibre_Library_permission2.PNG
Views:	681
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	170323   Click image for larger version

Name:	Calibre_Library_summary.PNG
Views:	697
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	170324  

Last edited by bthoven; 03-21-2019 at 11:55 PM.
Old 03-22-2019, 01:22 AM   #29
Villax

I am able to see the folder, but when I get to the first page of the gui, it says choose the folder where the library is. If it is empty or has the library, it says the same error

You must choose an empty folder for the calibre library. /Library is not empty.

I mounted /Library to where I had the ebooks. I tried again with en empty folder.. rebuilding the library is no big deal. No luck. Same error.

I created it at the default location, then tried to change it once calibre loaded. It gives me the error

I can't see nobody as a user, and I can't create it either. I'm stumped!

My setting are below.

My permissions are not the same, but I'm not sure how you set yours.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	error 1.jpg
Views:	637
Size:	176.1 KB
ID:	170325   Click image for larger version

Name:	error 2.jpg
Views:	576
Size:	171.0 KB
ID:	170326   Click image for larger version

Name:	error 4.jpg
Views:	595
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	170327   Click image for larger version

Name:	error 5.jpg
Views:	590
Size:	263.7 KB
ID:	170328  

Last edited by Villax; 03-22-2019 at 01:27 AM. Reason: trying to get pics to upload
Old 03-22-2019, 01:36 AM   #30
bthoven
Evangelist

Quote:
I am able to see the folder, but when I get to the first page of the gui, it says choose the folder where the library is. If it is empty or has the library, it says the same error

You must choose an empty folder for the calibre library. /Library is not empty.

I mounted /Library to where I had the ebooks. I tried again with en empty folder.. rebuilding the library is no big deal. No luck. Same error.

I created it at the default location, then tried to change it once calibre loaded. It gives me the error

I can't see nobody as a user, and I can't create it either. I'm stumped!

My setting are below.

My permissions are not the same, but I'm not sure how you set yours.

Thanks!
Not sure I understood you correctly.

When we do the mapping to a library (say named Your_ebook)n Docker, the first time you run Calibre, the library 'Your_ebook' will be created automatically, choose it.