Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 08-02-2010, 01:44 PM   #1
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
apples new Magic trackpad

Just got my new Magic Trackpad and after a couple of hiccups, got it working with my Mac Mini. Got to say, I love it! Couple of hints for those of you getting these..... be sure to download the Magic Trackpad update from apple.com or your mac computer may only recognize it as a bluetooth mouse so gestures won't work. Took me a short while to figure this out. Then the set up is a breeze and it works beautifully. Set up your gestures preferences in system preferences and you are good to go.
Nice large surface to work with and the batteries are nicely hidden away in the top of the mouse so it is slightly elevated, much like the apple keyboard.

Goodby clicky scrollwheel mouse. Will save on battery replacements too as my Logitech wireless mouse was always "on" so it needed new batteries monthly. Trackpad will turn itself off after three minutes of idle time so batteries should last a lot longer!
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 02:11 PM   #2
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Thanks for the mini-review, MsAstoria! I downloaded the update for my Macbook-I love the new 3 finger "move windows around" option.

I visited the Apple store just this weekend, and they had none on display though-weird. (And of course, still no iPads or iPhone 4's in stock).
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2010, 02:19 PM   #3
kathyfitz
Electronics Whore
kathyfitz doesn't litterkathyfitz doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad, iPad mini, iPhone5, Kindle3
We picked up my hubby's new iPhone4 in store yesterday with no reservation. I called a couple of stores and they all had them in stock. Saw the trackpad, it is pretty cool! But I use my laptop about 95% of the time, so not for me at this time.
kathyfitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 02:35 PM   #4
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyfitz View Post
We picked up my hubby's new iPhone4 in store yesterday with no reservation. I called a couple of stores and they all had them in stock. Saw the trackpad, it is pretty cool! But I use my laptop about 95% of the time, so not for me at this time.
Damn. My wife actually has one on order (3 weeks estimated) but she was getting so tired of her iPhone 3G with iOS4, she wanted to get one right away...we were down in SoCal just last week-should have tried there!
Old 08-02-2010, 02:36 PM   #5
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Looks cool. I'm on Windows, so can't use. Bummer.

I have a couple of Logictech wireless mice with long battery life. I wonder whether there's a big difference among various models. My older one, which is about four years old, has needed new batteries maybe once a year. I bought an additional Logitech a few months ago, and it was advertised with even longer battery life -- 18 months.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2010, 03:21 AM   #6
harakiri
Groupie
harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
is it possible to use this new trackpad with the iPad?

I know this sounds strange, but (at least) I can see potential there: put you iPad on one of these stands at home and use the bluetooth keyboard and the trackpad
harakiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 03:29 AM   #7
harakiri
Groupie
harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
answering my own question:

no its not supported.

what a shame.
harakiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 01:05 PM   #8
kjk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
Looks cool. I'm on Windows, so can't use. Bummer.

I have a couple of Logictech wireless mice with long battery life. I wonder whether there's a big difference among various models. My older one, which is about four years old, has needed new batteries maybe once a year. I bought an additional Logitech a few months ago, and it was advertised with even longer battery life -- 18 months.
Maggie, it has Windows drivers now!
32bit: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1067
64bit: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1068
Old 08-04-2010, 06:14 AM   #9
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
I messed with one for a bit, and didn't really like it. But, I'm sure if I gave it more time I would get on with it....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 01:54 PM   #10
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
Maggie, it has Windows drivers now!
32bit: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1067
64bit: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1068
Thanks, kjk. I'll check it out the next time I happen across an Apple store.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 10:30 AM   #11
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
Well, I've had it now for a few days and it totally rocks! It's a nice large size (4.25 inches x 5 inches) so plenty of scrolling room. very nice to just tap the pad for functions.
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote