Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-23-2009, 02:49 AM   #1
sajje
sajje began at the beginning.

Device: noen
Best format to use on a psr600 (PDF, Epub..)

I just bought a PSR-600 and my library here in Sweden offers 1000 of books in diffrent formats Pdf, Mobipocket and epub..

some books is just available in one format, so my question is:

Which format is best on the Sony and is it possible to convert between the diffrent formats?

some questions i also have:
The library allows one to "borrow" the book for free for 28 days, what happen if i convert them, is this timelimit gone?
is there a method for removing timelimit on books?
what happen after 28 days, will the Sony not let me read it?

Thanks
sajje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 05:07 AM   #2
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
I've only read epub books and pdfs on the 600 but both have been fine - generally the formatting has been excellent on the epub versions and not-so-good-but-still-readable on the pdf files.

I'm not entirely sure that you should convert library books as I think they are protected? Well at least the epub files from my library are.

After the library period has expired, the books will no longer be viewable. I think you can borrow them again from the library though.
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2009, 05:20 AM   #3
ChristopherTD
Addict
ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin Reader on iPad Air (via Calibre)
In my (limited) experience, the PDF support is flaky at best. Unless the document is setup with fonts that can be easily read at S(mall) magnification the rendering at the larger sizes leaves a lot to be desired - graphics can disappear and tables are messed up. If there is a choice I would choose ePub whenever you can.
ChristopherTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 05:51 AM   #4
GangstaSnail
GangstaSnail began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PSR-600
I tried some pdf on my psr600, but the font was way too small, later I converted them to epub (using calibre), but the quality of conversion was really bad (tested on 6 or so books), it just didn't keep the paragraph layout ... then I retried with lrf and I like it the best so far.
But again, that's mostly talk for calibre section ...

Last edited by GangstaSnail; 11-23-2009 at 05:54 AM.
GangstaSnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 07:09 AM   #5
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Most likely you cannot convert library ebook because they are DRM-infect. Unless you know how to disinfect them.
Assuming you don't know how to disinfect ebooks, mobi is not an option, it leaves you pdf and epub. PDF is an abomination for 6" screen, even though Sony Reader supports reflow. So, it leaves epub only

P.S. Probably all three formats are DRM infected, but Sony Reader doesn't support *.mobi
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert