Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 08-19-2008, 10:46 AM   #1
garygibsonsf
Addict
garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite
Simon Ings

I'm completely astounded to find no mention here, anywhere, of an entire Simon Ings novel - originally published in 2000 - available as a free download on this website. Am I really the first to bring it to people's attention?

Simon Ings was one of my favourite science fiction writers of the late Eighties and Nineties. He's very much of the Interzone generation, with novels like HotHead and City of the Iron Fish under his belt. I haven't read anything by him I haven't loved (I like writers like Phil Dick, Paul Di Filippo, William Gibson etc, to give you an idea of where I'm coming from).

The book can be downloaded at: http://www.simonings.net/homepages/s...gsdownloa.html.

The novel, Painkillers, isn't science fiction, or at least was published as non-genre. There are some hints in a couple of online reviews I remember reading that suggested it might be, how to put it, 'sf under the radar'. I haven't yet read it myself, but it's in line.

Last edited by garygibsonsf; 08-21-2008 at 10:17 PM. Reason: spelling error
garygibsonsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 08:45 AM   #2
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
love Sci fi but never heard of this guy?! thabnks I'll take a look.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2008, 11:51 AM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Here is an early draft conversion in Mobipocket.
Attached Files
File Type: prc PainKiller.prc (265.4 KB, 514 views)
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 11:58 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Painkillers is not in such a nice format. Yes, it's HTML, but he has his quotes wrong. He's got the quotes as apostrophes. I did send email asking him to fix them. That just really bugs me big time when something so simple is so incorrect.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 05:29 PM   #5
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Apparently single quotes are quite common in UK.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2008, 06:20 PM   #6
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Painkillers is not in such a nice format. Yes, it's HTML, but he has his quotes wrong. He's got the quotes as apostrophes. I did send email asking him to fix them. That just really bugs me big time when something so simple is so incorrect.
Is that «'» versus «‘’» or «"/“”»? The former is kind of annoying. The latter though:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Single or double quotation marks denote either speech or a quotation. Neither style – single or double – is an absolute rule, though double quotation marks are preferred in the United States, and both single and double quotation marks are used in the United Kingdom. A publisher’s or even an author’s style may take precedence over national general preferences.
Speaking of Wikipedia, the article on “Quotation mark, non-English usage” blew my mind when I first came across it. I had no idea there were so many different ways of marking speech even among languages which use the Roman alphabet.
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 08:01 PM   #7
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I note at the download section that Simon says:

"Finally, a request: if you format the work for a reader or PDA, please send me a copy of your file, and I'll make it available here."

Perhaps if someone tidies up the html file, and even offers multiple format conversions ("courtesy of MobileRead"), Simon would be very grateful?

It's just a thought, aligning an author-friendly website with a reader-friendly author.

(At this point I say "I'd do it myself, but..." because I haven't done any conversions other than a couple of rough-and-ready html-prc ones for my own use, and I'm not confident I'm doing it right).

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 11:37 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What is being used in place of quotes is apostrophes. It isn't single quotes. It apostrophes as it is the very same character as the apostrophe used in the word don't. yes, I could do the work and fix the mess. But I'd rather be lazy and have the author do it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 12:10 AM   #9
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
yes, I could do the work and fix the mess. But I'd rather be lazy and have the author do it.
Just to be clear, Jon, I do not in any way wish it to be taken from my post above that not fixing the author's file denotes laziness. I do not think it's "lazy". I'm also not unaware of the significant and ongoing work being put in by people at MobileRead (including yourself) to bring ebooks to us, the MobileRead audience and community. I have taken very significant advantage of these efforts.

It was merely to highlight the author's request for other formats, should there be someone here both able and so-inclined.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:30 PM   #10
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I finally got around to reading it. Later this week I will upload a proofread version with the errors fixed.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:33 PM   #11
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Yep, I've noticed this in some books I've bought off Amazon UK.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 03:39 PM   #12
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post

Single quotes, as in ' which is also used as an apostrophe is quite common. I use it, although I'd love to know the reasons why this is considered a bad thing for ebooks, as it's easily swapped around for the more traditional ".

Clarification: It's easily swapped around while writing, and if you're on a Mac, because the ' and " are in exactly the same position on the keyboard, it's a matter of using SHIFT or not.

Last edited by Moejoe; 03-15-2009 at 03:50 PM.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 03:52 PM   #13
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
Single quotes, as in ' which is also used as an apostrophe is quite common. I use it, although I'd love to know the reasons why this is considered a bad thing for ebooks, as it's easily swapped around for the more traditional ".

Clarification: It's easily swapped around while writing, and if you're on a Mac, because the ' and " are in exactly the same position on the keyboard, it's a matter of using SHIFT or not.
A single quote looks like an apostrophe, which is why an apostrophe is often used in place of a single quote in certain font sets.
Old 03-15-2009, 03:58 PM   #14
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Thanks for the clarification. I now see what you mean, and it's the first time I've ever noticed it on the keyboard. Well, you learn something new everyday and I'm very glad I learned this one. Now shifting all single quotation to the more traditional ". This place is fantastic, you've just helped me correct an error I've been making for years. Thankyou very much.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 06:03 PM   #15
cerement
Groupie
cerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it is

Device: Amazon Kindle 1, Sony PRS-300, Amazon Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Language specific quotes - requires a large CSS file and using the <q> tag instead of " or ' or “ or ‘ or « ...
cerement is offline   Reply With Quote