Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 03-28-2017, 10:36 AM   #1
pastanley
Zealot
pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite 4, Kindle fire HD 10
New ipad mini 4 user

I picked up the ipad mini 4 a few days ago. I got the 128 GB version. I am currently updating to ios 10.3. I have been using Android tablets for the past 5 years. I had the ipad 2 when it was first released 6 years ago. The scrolling on the ipads is so much better than my previous Samsung galaxy pro tab. I actually prefer the 7.9 inch size to the 9.7.
Its nice to be back in the Apple line-up.
pastanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 02:36 PM   #2
shrktank
Connoisseur
shrktank has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony 650,Nook Color and iPad
Hey I bought a ipad mini yesterday!

I was using the Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 8inch and love the device. However I switched phones and watches to apple. I figured the tablet would have to follow as well.

Looking to get my wife the new ipad which comes out tomorrow. She prefers the 9.7 inch, but for my the 7.9 is very versatlile in size for all things
shrktank is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2017, 04:07 PM   #3
AkiraReader
Connoisseur
AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox, Kindles
How are you reducing eye strain on these, for reading 7+ hours at a stretch?

Is there a specific reading app that helps?
AkiraReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 04:44 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkiraReader View Post

It's the buy a Kobo Aura One app.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 04:59 PM   #5
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkiraReader View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It's the buy a Kobo Aura One app.
My iPad Mini 2 is the best eReader I've ever owned. Eink isn't worth a crap anymore--last decade's antiquated technology.
Advert
Old 04-06-2017, 11:40 PM   #6
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastanley View Post
Its nice to be back in the Apple line-up.
Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
My iPad Mini 2 is the best eReader I've ever owned. Eink isn't worth a crap anymore--last decade's antiquated technology.
I actually mostly agree with this. Reading on a high resolution/retina LCD or OLED screen for long periods of time doesn't cause me any issues at all and I feel the text is actually clearer. And with good batter life on things like phones and tablets these days... well, I don't really use my kindle anymore. Even though it is kicking around somewhere.

I mostly read e-books on my iPad Air 2 now and I vastly prefer it.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 09:44 AM   #7
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
Awesome!

I actually mostly agree with this. Reading on a high resolution/retina LCD or OLED screen for long periods of time doesn't cause me any issues at all and I feel the text is actually clearer. And with good batter life on things like phones and tablets these days... well, I don't really use my kindle anymore. Even though it is kicking around somewhere.

I mostly read e-books on my iPad Air 2 now and I vastly prefer it.
The only time I use my Kindle Voyage is when I want to read outside in bright daylight. I then hate the thing because it is sooooooooooooo slow and sluggish compared to any of my iThingies! But I so rarely use the Voyage that when I do grab it is often in a state of battery drain because I forgot to charge it. And I have to dust it off too!
Old 04-10-2017, 04:08 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
The only time I use my Kindle Voyage is when I want to read outside in bright daylight. I then hate the thing because it is sooooooooooooo slow and sluggish compared to any of my iThingies! But I so rarely use the Voyage that when I do grab it is often in a state of battery drain because I forgot to charge it. And I have to dust it off too!
Do you mean that page changes when you're reading a book are slow? I know that you're not a fan of eInk, Jack, but I really think it's an unfair criticism to claim that it's slow. The slowness of things like searching is down to the CPU, not the eInk screen, and they have slow CPUs because the goal of such devices is to maximise battery life.

I use both my Voyage and my (various) iPads every day. Both are excellent devices, but they're good for different things. Tasks like web browsing and reading PDFs are much better on the iPad, but I strongly prefer to read fiction on my Voyage.

Last edited by HarryT; 04-10-2017 at 04:16 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 10:42 AM   #9
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Do you mean that page changes when you're reading a book are slow? I know that you're not a fan of eInk, Jack, but I really think it's an unfair criticism to claim that it's slow. The slowness of things like searching is down to the CPU, not the eInk screen, and they have slow CPUs because the goal of such devices is to maximise battery life.

I use both my Voyage and my (various) iPads every day. Both are excellent devices, but they're good for different things. Tasks like web browsing and reading PDFs are much better on the iPad, but I strongly prefer to read fiction on my Voyage.
To each their own Harry, but it is a VERY FAIR and true statement. The Voyage is SLOW. I'm not talking about page turns. Even the original Kindle had fast enough page turns for me. I'm talking about reaction time when selecting/highlighting text on the screen. I'm talking about interface reaction time. I'm talking about all the slow motion reaction time you get with a eInk device. They simply cannot keep up with tablets. EInk screens take longer to update and the hardware is likely way slower as well since these devices were never meant to compete with tablets and smartphones. They are for reading, they were not designed for running apps or surfing the internet. I get frustrated when it takes so long just to highlight text, or call up a dictionary, or pretty much anything else. On my iPad these tasks happen t the speed of electrons, but on my Voyage they happen at the speed of snails.
Old 04-10-2017, 11:01 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, each to their own, Jack. For me personally, the UI speed is entirely adequate for what I need it for. When I'm reading fiction, I don't do a lot of highlighting. If it's not acceptable to you, best to stick to tablets where, as you say, it's faster.
Old 05-21-2017, 08:31 PM   #11
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I am embarrassed to admit I own too many tablets

I have a Samsung S2 9.7 and never use it ( still paying on it) it is way too big and only use it to watch netflix in bed. I switched to Verizon and got an Asus zenpad 8" which is amazing. Super cheap and much better screen than an ipad and the s2 but the build is cheap also can not move apps to sim card. I also have the Nook Samsung galaxy A 7 inch. I thought it would be good for reading but I have issues with it. memory gets full even with a sim card

I Went into bestbuy for a giftcard and walked out with an iPad 4 LOL

So far I love it! I had an ipad air and 1st generation mini that I sold a few years ago. I must say the iPad 4 is so much faster and more responsive, I am going to find a way to sell my other tablets.

Oh ya, I also have the kindle tablet. lol
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 01:48 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
I switched to Verizon and got an Asus zenpad 8" which is amazing. Super cheap and much better screen than an ipad and the s2 but the build is cheap also can not move apps to sim card.
No tablet allows you to store apps on a SIM card. That's not what SIM cards are for.
Old 05-24-2017, 12:00 AM   #13
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
... also can not move apps to sim card. ...
Did you mean the SD card? or micro SD,, whichever
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 01:20 AM   #14
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I've been considering a new Kobo (Aura One, H2O-2 or H2O) to replace my aging Aura HD, but am starting to lean a bit more towards a Mini 4 (or a slight possibility of a 9.7" iPad, although not a Pro) and just using the current Aura HD for the few times I might need a reader for in the direct sunlight (mostly a non-issue).

I know I have no problem reading on a screen, and actually like it a lot better at times, as for a while I used my 8.9" Fire HDX almost exclusively for about 6 months (not a fan of Fire OS). Now with CC available for iOS and with several good reading apps available it seems like I'd have everything I need to create an inviting reading environment for myself.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 12:45 PM   #15
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
I pretty much do all my eBook reading on a 9.7" Air 2 these days. I like the size for PDF and technical books. I appreciate the multitude of apps since eBooks are not always available in the limited formats of a traditional eBook reader. The mini has the exact same resolution as the 9.7", not because the dpi is higher, all the 9.7" are retina displays, but because it is easier on the developers to have a limited number of resolutions to test.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote