Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-31-2012, 06:34 PM   #1
chrisakavern
Keep on Nook'in
chrisakavern doesn't litterchrisakavern doesn't litter

Device: NOOK (Original) & NOOK Color (N2A)
A conversion request...

I would love to have the option to automatically delete the source file after a conversion, I only use one type of eBook and would just like the source file gone after completed conversion. I know this is not for everyone, but if it could be easily made an option like in the picture provided that would be great!

chrisakavern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:51 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisakavern View Post
I would love to have the option to automatically delete the source file after a conversion, I only use one type of eBook and would just like the source file gone after completed conversion. I know this is not for everyone, but if it could be easily made an option like in the picture provided that would be great!
You assume that your conversion goes smoothly and the firs output is perfect

I say automatic deletion of a known good source is Murphy just waiting to bite you

We will never hear the end of the RANTS when this strikes. Bad plan.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2012, 10:53 AM   #3
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
You assume that your conversion goes smoothly and the firs output is perfect

I say automatic deletion of a known good source is Murphy just waiting to bite you

We will never hear the end of the RANTS when this strikes. Bad plan.
Agreed, its a bad plan to encourage users to delete the original before proofing the conversion results. Even with well proven and tested conversion settings, faults in the resulting file often occur due to errors in the source file.

Calibre already has a very serviceable function for removing undesired formats that works on single selections and on bulk selections. Ebooks are small, by today's standards, and I see little reason to remove source and/or intermediary formats.

Corollary to Murphy's Law: The odds of a piece of jellied toast landing jelly side down it proportional to the cost of the carpet.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:49 AM   #4
chrisakavern
Keep on Nook'in

You guys are missing the fact that whenever you add a book to calibre, calibre creates a copy and adds it to your library, leaving the "original" where it was, so if the conversion does not go well you start over and add the "original" back to your library. for example I import a "*.mobi" that I convert to "*.epub" I want that "*.mobi" to be removed from my Calibre library as part of the conversion. The original "*.mobi" file that was imported to my Calibre library remains in it's original state, it is just removed my Calibre library.

The other thing being missed is I am asking this to be made an "option" if you don't want your original deleted then don't put a check in the box.

Maybe "Delete Source File" was a bad choice for wording, maybe it should say "remove original format from Calibre library".
Spoiler:

If we don't want to add it as part of the program maybe a "plug-in" could be written to add this option.

I totally appreciate the hard work that has gone into this program.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 02-05-2012 at 06:06 AM.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:40 PM   #5
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
@chrisakavern - I don't think the wording is the issue, nor are people unaware of the fact that calibre copies your input files. In fact many people like myself rely on this, and delete the source files after they are safely contained within calibre, leaving just a single calibre directory to have to backup.

It is just too dangerous an option imo - the number of times I have done a conversion and realised that I needed to tweak something else (maybe adding smart quotes, changing encoding, justification, doing a split, change heuristics, or...). With such an option you propose enabled the user gets only one shot to get it right, and if they screw up then they have the inconvenience of finding another copy of the original somewhere to put it back into calibre and start again (that is *assuming* they have the original copied somewhere).

So users will "play it safe" by not enabling it - and if no-one but yourself feels brave enough to use it that hardly justifies adding one more option to the already intimidating number of conversion options

I find it trivial with the various right-click Remove options or direct deletion in the Edit Metadata dialog to remove only the formats I no longer want after I am done with conversions. Yes it is an extra step - but it is a step that errs on the side of caution, just like Kovid adding the ability to keep original formats recently for same format conversions.

That particular default conversion page in your screenshot is my pet hate of the conversion pages btw - I have never in my life changed anything on it and and instead always switch to Look & Feel where the actual useful conversion options begin. So if anything I would like an option to not display those options . Thankfully it doesn't appear for bulk conversions, but it would be nice to avoid it for single conversions too...
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2012, 12:47 PM   #6
chrisakavern
Keep on Nook'in

I guess I am confused I thought one of the great things about open source software was that the developers are normally open to suggestion. And a look at the "Similar Threads" at the bottom of this page makes it clear that I am not the only one who would like this feature.

Suggestion/Request - Remove source after conversion
Old 02-10-2012, 01:13 PM   #7
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Being open to suggestions and a developer agreeing that an option is worth his time are not the same thing. In the past there has been all sort of grief from users when a book was deleted when they did not expect it. I think therefore that the current active developers do not think this is a feature that they want to be involved in providing.

However as it is open source there is nothing to stop you doing it for yourself !
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote