Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Should voting results be hidden or visible in 2012?
All Book Club Polls in 2012 should be Hidden. 17 47.22%
All Book Club Polls in 2012 should be Viewable. 7 19.44%
Each month, we should alternate between Hidden and Viewable. 10 27.78%
Other (Please explain in comments). 2 5.56%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-29-2011, 10:55 AM   #76
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
I'm glad you like the moratorium idea; I thought you would!

However, I must wonder why we are not having a poll on tiered? There has been ample support for it over the months and here now (and probably would've been more support for it posted now if I'd posted the suggestion in a different thread and not a non-stickied thread on a closed poll that many members may not be reading any more).

After all, you did OK my bringing it up to see what the majority wants, and it did get support, but now you won't let us vote on it? We still have a few more weeks before the new year (really we have til the 20th of December which is when the new year threads start) to discuss it. Perhaps the votes would be against it, and that's fine, but then we'd know what the majority wants.
Why not start one, surfer? As pilotbob pointed out re classics, anyone can start a poll. It might not be binding, but it would be interesting.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:26 AM   #77
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Why not start one, surfer? As pilotbob pointed out re classics, anyone can start a poll. It might not be binding, but it would be interesting.
I suppose I could, but I'm hoping Tom will decide to give it a go so it will be binding.

And to be clear, though I think it's an interesting idea, the reason I'm pushing a vote is equally because it's been brought up plenty enough in the last year, and to have it decided one way or the other will quash any recurring discussion of what the majority may or may not want, since we'd know. I'd be just as well having it lose in a stunning defeat if it were to do so, but at least we'd know. I think my original post on the subject was well-intentioned and well-explained.

Also, I'm hesitant to start a thread for the general book club as I don't want to confuse any members not paying as close attention, as they may think it's for the literary book club.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2011, 11:38 AM   #78
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Does anyone else want a poll on tiered voting?
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:40 AM   #79
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Go for it.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:59 AM   #80
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Sure.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2011, 01:13 PM   #81
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
I think we should try to settle as many questions as we can before the end of 2011. So, yes, I think we should have a poll.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 01:17 PM   #82
VioletVal
Connoisseur
VioletVal can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'VioletVal can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'VioletVal can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'VioletVal can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'VioletVal can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'VioletVal can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'VioletVal can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'VioletVal can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'VioletVal can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'VioletVal can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'VioletVal can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kindle, iPhone
Quote:
Yes, I do.
VioletVal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 01:37 PM   #83
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
+1 for a poll on tiered voting
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 02:25 PM   #84
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
Have you considered doing hidden voting for the first round, and then taking the top several (three or four) books for the second round and doing visible voting then?

Instead of alternating, you would have both types every month, with the benefit of having the selection weeded down before the *persuasive* talks begin.

Disclaimer: I don't participate in the book club, but I like to follow the discussions.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 02:50 PM   #85
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Tiered voting tends to be a tech issue, not a preferences issue--it requires a different system of polling. It's also a lot more complicated to explain. (Another explanation, with food examples.)

I'm in favor of tiered voting; I'm not sure if we've got access to software that would allow it. It seems we might have to have totally public votes, with everyone listing their first, second, third etc. choices, and manually sorting the results.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 02:55 PM   #86
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Elfwreck, that's not the type of tiered that we are talking about. All kinds have been discussed, but as you mentioned, most are not technically possible. Here's what we are talking about:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
There’s been a good bit of discussion about various voting schemes over the months. Most aren’t feasible (ranked voting, etc.) because they’d require polling features that we don’t have.

But the idea of “tiered” voting has come up again and again, and it is feasible. “Tiered” means we’d have a poll just like the one now, with ten nominations. However, that poll would be to decide the top two. Then, once the poll is over and the top two are decided, we’d have a run-off poll just between those two.
ETA - I did however look at those links and they are very interesting!

Last edited by sun surfer; 11-29-2011 at 03:03 PM.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:03 PM   #87
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

I would also like a system of two tier voting to be considered. To be fair a poll on this should be s simple yes or no to the idea of tiered voting, not “no tiered voting” versus a number of options for tiered voting. If most are favor the idea and WT Sharpe agrees then we could discuss how the tiered voting should work.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:16 PM   #88
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
So here's my suggestion for a poll. Do there need to be any changes before I put it up?

Quote:
Are you in favor of two tier voting?

Yes

No

The two tier system would mean the every month we have two polls to vote on instead of one. The first vote would determine which two books got the highest number of votes. The second would determine the winner between the two.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:40 PM   #89
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Changing the poll question to Should we dump one classic month for YA in 2012? would make it a good poll.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:04 PM   #90
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Quote:
So here's my suggestion for a poll. Do there need to be any changes before I put it up?
Looks good to me!