Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-23-2010, 09:29 AM   #61
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Yes, language changes over time. So, for some, that means there is nothing in language that is correct usage. It's rather like the dolts who refer to a lie as someone else's reality. No, it's a lie. "Womyn" is not simply an alternative spelling of "women" as some dictionaries state.

I do try to not be pedantic but I recently read a book in which people "whaled" instead of "wailed". Oh, well, language changes, you know, and perhaps that's just his reality. Maybe I don't know where his head is at.
The book that I'm currently proof-reading (Anthony Trollope's "The Small House at Allington") had a somewhat surreal scene in which, in the middle of a Sunday afternoon outdoor games party, people suddenly started "howling on the lawn". It made a little more sense when, checking against my printed copy, "howling" became "bowling" .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 09:39 AM   #62
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The book that I'm currently proof-reading (Anthony Trollope's "The Small House at Allington") had a somewhat surreal scene in which, in the middle of a Sunday afternoon outdoor games party, people suddenly started "howling on the lawn". It made a little more sense when, checking against my printed copy, "howling" became "bowling" .
But "howling" is so much more...ah...interesting!
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2010, 10:10 AM   #63
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
But "howling" is so much more...ah...interesting!
If the people on the lawn had had to read an Anthony Trollope novel, then howling might have been precisely what they were doing!
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 10:11 AM   #64
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
If the people on the lawn had had to read an Anthony Trollope novel, then howling might have been precisely what they were doing!
Each to his own. Trollope is one of my favourite authors .
Old 10-23-2010, 10:27 AM   #65
L.J. Sellers
Novelist
L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I'm an editor as well as a novelist, so I notice almost everything. Yet our language is fluid and changing, and I try to be mentally flexible. Still, some things bug me, such as the use of alright rather than all right. I love discussions like this because they increase my awareness of language uses.
L.J.
L.J. Sellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2010, 10:30 AM   #66
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.J. Sellers View Post
I'm an editor as well as a novelist, so I notice almost everything. Yet our language is fluid and changing, and I try to be mentally flexible. Still, some things bug me, such as the use of alright rather than all right. I love discussions like this because they increase my awareness of language uses.
L.J.
Do you also object to "also", "although", "altogether", "almost", etc? Why pick on "alright"?
Old 10-23-2010, 10:37 AM   #67
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
L.J.
'alright' is in the OED as an acceptable alternative to 'all right'. I'm not sure under what circumstances which would be considered more appropriate.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 10:43 AM   #68
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
...some things bug me, such as the use of alright rather than all right...
L.J.
According to the Webster's Ninth New Collegiate Dictionary (1985) that is in easy reach of my computer (I have several dictionaries), alright is alright (couldn't resist ) although it was falling out of usage at the time. When I was in school (I graduated from college with a four year degree in 1971), all right was considered improper. Now, the reverse seems to be true. I have a penchant for archaic words and phrases (some which comes from my Renaissance Festival activities and some from just being old) so I continue to use alright.

Of course, there are times all right would be incorrect, such as when someone assumes I'm all right (actually, half of me is left ).
Old 10-23-2010, 10:50 AM   #69
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Poor grammar annoys me a lot - especially the simple stuff (such as mixing up "its" and "it's"). I just feel like saying to the author "if you can't be bothered to get it right, why should I bother to read your book?"
You should blame the publishers whose job it is to correct such things. It is not uncommon that authors are dyslectic but they can tell a story.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 10:52 AM   #70
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
You should blame the publishers whose job it is to correct such things. It is not uncommon that authors are dyslectic but they can tell a story.
When there is a publisher, I agree - it is their responsibility. I was thinking more of independently published books, where it's down to the author to get it right.
Old 10-23-2010, 10:52 AM   #71
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
I remember my grade 5 teacher saying "All right is all wrong unless there are two words". (1965) I assume alright is a relatively recent addition to the language and it does bug me alot(sic) too.

One thing that bugs me is
1) I learned to spell e.g. as eg. in high school (70's - do the math from my grade 5 year). Still looks wrong to me to see "e.g."
2) mixing up i.e. and e.g. They're note equivalent. The former is explaining (id est = that is); the latter is giving an example (um - short for egsample?? what is the etymology). Looked it up: exempli gratia.
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 10:53 AM   #72
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
as an example

"...he gifted the player the goal."
Yes, I understand the (mis)use of 'gifted' - it was 'regifted' that confuddled me - and I think I've just figured out that the OP probably meant "Regarding gifted..."

Thanks though
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 10:56 AM   #73
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Well, I was going to complain about 'dyslectic' (I've always said 'dyslexic'), but according to the OED either is perfectly correct (shows how much I know).

Instead, I'll mention an ex-colleague at work who was dyslexic (or dyslectic if you prefer). I often used to be called on to check through his work and once read through a long report he had written throughout which he used the word 'pesticide' where he meant 'postcode'. It certainly added an unexpected note to an otherwise dry discussion of a pretty boring piece of software testing.

Last edited by Bilbo1967; 10-23-2010 at 10:58 AM.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 10:58 AM   #74
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacmart View Post
I remember my grade 5 teacher saying "All right is all wrong unless there are two words". (1965) I assume alright is a relatively recent addition to the language and it does bug me alot(sic) too...
Actually, both all right and alright date back to the 14c. In Spring of '65, I was a sophomore in high school.
Old 10-23-2010, 10:58 AM   #75
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by petermillard View Post
Yes, I understand the (mis)use of 'gifted' - it was 'regifted' that confuddled me - and I think I've just figured out that the OP probably meant "Regarding gifted..."

Thanks though
No, he probably meant "regifted," as in, "I didn't need that vase my sister gave me for my birthday, so I regifted it to my babysitter for Christmas." That term is pretty common here in the U.S. now, although I hate it.
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote